Looking to make new friends

Hi everyone,

I've been in Toronto for a few months now and am finding it hard to meet new friends, as I have found Canadians to be quite difficult to befriend, so I though I would give this forum a go.

I'm a 26 year old British female and am looking to meet new people to hang out with, maybe go for coffee with or watch a movie and discuss our travel adventures, and maybe even start a group of us.

Serious replys only please!

:)

Hi Helen,

If you wanna talk message me. How are you and how long are you planning to stay here? What made you come here? I'm 24, female. I know it's hard to make friends so if you want to talk or anything message me.

Sharon

hey helen
i am also new to the country.
i am asian so i have absolutely nothing in common with canadians :-)
i think the size of the country is a bit intimidating if you are from a small country.... but as time goes by  you will get used to it.
i am trying to find new hobbies to keep my self occupied and watch a lot of movies

Hey Helen, am with ya! Just arrived in Toronto area for work and would like to meet new people to hang out on weekends. Keen to try new places to eat, or coffee sessions, or drinks, or jam session - you name 'em. Let me know.

Hi,

I am Chris, 26 years old and will be in Toronto for the first 2 weeks of May. To don't discover downtown alone, it would be nice to meet some people to hang around, go to bars, restaurant, cinema or doing sports.
I will live close to the international airport, but I have a car.

Looking forward to hear from you.

Chris

Hello everyone! I will be in Toronto during next fall season.. I'm waiting for my visa, and then I could make a better plan.
Will someone of you be in Toronto from august to november?

xoxo from italy

Hey Helen,

I completely get it, Toronto is definitely not the easiest place to make friends unless (like a friend of mine who disagrees with me) you're a complete extrovert that can strike up a conversation with anyone.

I'm from just outside the city (Whitby) and have lived downtown for the last 3 years, yet most of my friends are still outside of the city. People here more and more seem to be living in their own little worlds, closed off and with guards firmly up.

I'm gonna stop before this turns into a big rant, lol. Anyways, I'm always up for a good coffee and meeting new people.

C

Hi Everyone,

I moved to Toronto 6 years ago and went through the tough times of trying to make friends.  I've since started a social events group especially for expats wanting to explore Toronto while meeting new people.

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

I hope to meet you soon.
Cheers, Trudy

Hi all,
I'm FROM TORONTO and find it hard here! So believe me, I get it!

It's a great city, compared to many places we are polite, etc. but it's kind a fake friendly.
This is coming from a Torontonian born and raised. I try to make friends mostly with foreigners because I like them more and despite being Canadian I feel I can relate to them more (worldly view, etc)

I'm happy to meet expats anytime :)

GOOD LUCK FOR EVERYBODY
                       AND
WISHE YOU ALL THE BEST

Best Regards
Ammar

HELLO HELEN, HELLO EVERYBODY,
I arrived in Toronto last week. I am from Antwerp Belgium. Like you all I am trying to make friends and it is not always easy. I live at the Beaches where I can go for walks, go to the city;go for coffee but it is a bit lonely. I would like to find people  with who I could go for a drink,... I know it is not always easy to leave all your loved ones behind and start a new life in a far country.
cheers Nathalie

Hello All,

I am 23 years old. Recently landed in Toronto. Country of origin India. Currently working in bank.  Looking for new friends. I don't have much friends in here so thought of enrolling into a forum. Please reply if you would like to grab a coffee or a movie.

Also if anyone could suggest any voluntary organization to enroll. I would really appreciate. Thanks in Advance!

Cheers,
Kev

Hi Kev!

Welcome to Expat.com!

Armand

yeah thanks
I want to be your friend

thanks
Author

Hi ,

I am Bernard, This is my first day om this site. I have been here for the past 22 years and I have the same opinion as you. I lived ingermany and its different. I am a Tour Guide. I like to meet new people and build friendship. my e mail [email protected].. Hope to hear from you

hello. i have been living here fr 2 years and its really hard to get canadians friends. but i have some and i would like meet u u too....because i dnt really have many friends here..

Hello Bernad and ivijons!

Welcome to Expat.com.

I hope that you will have a lot of nice contacts here.;)

Harmonie.:)

Hi Helen,

If you're still looking to meet new people, email me, I'd love to hang out :)

Liz
[email protected]

Good Luck, I hope with the time you'll go to BC..always is nicer live close to the sea....

Good Luck

Hey Helen, I have been in Toronto for awhile and find it really hard to make any friends. So if you wanna talk or hang out sometimes, let me know.

Hi everyone,

I've been in Toronto for 2 months.
I'm a 27 year old female, I'm from Montreal I mooved to Toronto because of my work I am looking to meet new people to hang out with.

Serious replys only please!

hi there, im rachelle and I'm 26 and from Australia. I've been in Toronto for about a year now and my friends keep leaving to go off travelling so that leaves me here with just my boyfriend haha.
I'm also looking to meet new people, Canadian or not it doesnt matter. I like doing lots of things so if you're interested to meet up at all send me a message :)

HI! I have lived in Toronto 4 months now (originally from the US) and have found it difficult to make friends so far up here. I am 31 and I know this post is old, but message me if you want to meet up and chat! I moved up with my boyfriend and neither of us have met anyone so far.

i'm living in Canada now, i'm 26 years old and i want to make new friends because i eat the old friends  LOOOOOOL. Just kidding, i have posted a post to intruduce my self but it was deleted for somereason and i canŽt tell why. furthermore. if u wanna chat, hang out, go for a drink, throw snow balls :) send me a PM or you can find me on the FB carlos_mcfaden(at)hotmail.com

OMG! This thread scares me!!

Everyone is looking for friends in Toronto and nobody is finding any one after living for many years! Even the thread starter Helen didnt bother to reply or say thank you on this thread. Are people that busy or not friendly enough to make friends? 

I will be moving to Canada in August, either in Toronto or Vancouver, but after reading this thread i am scared.

Hello A.21may,

I'm a Canadian who was born and raised not far from Toronto (Hamilton, ON) and at the age of 28 moved to Vancouver where I lived for another 28 years before I came to Brazil 11 years ago. I can tell you about both places.

It's true Toronto is an extremely difficult place to make friends, it always has been. I think it is because Torontonians are just too much into themselves and their jobs. They are really closed off to those around them. I can really understand why many of the people here have said that the only Canadian friends they've made are from outside the city. Even if you're an all out extrovert you still might have problems meeting people in Toronto. Men find it especially difficult since when you try and strike up a casual conversation with a woman she's probably looking around for the nearest cop. About the only place you stand a good chance of making friends is in your workplace and that can also have its downside since you then can never seem to separate yourself from your job. So your only truly viable option is make friends in the expat (immigrant) community. Join a community association. And Torontonians think foreigners don't try to fit into society! Bull, they just won't let them because they've put up a wall.

Vancouver is completely the opposite end of the scale. It's very easy to make friends in Vancouver and you will also find people from all around the globe there. People are much more laid-back and casual than they are in Ontario. I guess that it has a lot to do with the west being geographically separated from the rest of Canada by the Rockies, Vancouverites and BCers in general seem to have become much more like the people in Washington State and Seattle, but without the "attitude".

In my younger days I avoided going to Toronto like the plague, simply because of the cold people. Most of them are snobs who think nobody is good enough for them. "The New Yorkers of Canada". I think that they've all got their collars buttoned too tight and knot their ties even tighter still just to keep them uncomfortable and surly. So I understand where all these complaints come from. Vancouver is my recommendation, you'll love it.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Hi Helen,

I am Rupa from India. Am up to meet up anytime during weekend.. Truly getting bugged up in this new place..Very Keen to make new friends.Lemme know if you have any plans.

Cheers!!:))

i think one way you can make friends is to get a job. i worked at an amazon warehouse for a month and in that time i made some really close bonds with some of the people i met there. partly because there are SOO many people working there at a time, and partly because everyone is on the same boat so we all had something to relate to. oh, and also the work is VERY easy and it does get VERY boring so conversations will start out of thin air.

hey..i love canadian people,,,can u be my friend?

hi rupa...m frm georgia...like to meet new people..so if interested,lets hav chat..

Give me a shout if yall lookin to make friends. :D

Hello. I'm a college student here in Philippines and I wanna work there on Toronto Canada. I want to meet friends when I will work there. I would like to know more about Toronto and the people there.

Thank you.

Hey there,

I'm moving to Toronto from London England on the 25th June and would really like to hang out with people too. It'd be nice to chill out with drinks, food or whatever people wanna do. If you're up for it please let me know.. I'm doing this move alone so would really to meet some cool people :-)

Just got transferred from Munich office, working for 6 months in Toronto, like to smile and making friends ;-)

I've been in Toronto for a few months now and am finding it hard to meet new friends

hi i m also looking for new friends, would u like to be ???????

Hi Helen,
I do not stay in Toronto, i'm Vietnamese. I really love to be in Canada, so can we make friends?

Hi Yangz,

Welcome to Expat-blog :).

You could write a little bit more about yourself and things that you like to do in everyday life.. maybe :rolleyes:.

Thank you,

----------------------------------------------------

Hi Dhnni,

Welcome to Expat-blog :).

You can as well write a few lines about you passions, hobby or maybe about your personality.

Thank you,

Maximilien

I am here for just one reason, i am looking for best friends which I can tell him/her everything  about me and share my happiness  and  looking for someone who can console give me moral support when iam sad ..
I am talkative, jovial and with lots of care and respect family values

I live in Toronto so feel free to link me. I really want to make the best of my summer.

Closed