How to make friends in Norway

We have been talking about loneliness when you are abroad, let's now talk about how to make friends (locals and other expats) when you're living in Norway :top:

Which are your best tips to meet people and to make friends in Norway??

Thanks in advance for your participation

my husband and i are moving to bergen in the next few months and i work from home and am a bit worried about how i will make friends as we dont have children either.

i am new to this forum. i am planning to move to norway soon from California. i would appreciate any pointers people might have for me in this respect

thanks
sid

Hey
I'm new to this forum and to Norway. I'm from Denmark and I know that scandinavians are not very open to new people (not intentionally, though), and it's not that much fun to experince it from 'the other perspective'.
At work I won't make any new friends as I am by far the youngest one there and everybody has families. So I'm trying to find ways to meet new people in Oslo and experience new things.

So if anybody has any tips please let me know.

I've joined the New_To_Oslo group on facebook and yahoo and will hopefully participate in their next event. But ather suggestions will be appreciated :-).

Thanks
Line

I am here in the suburbs of oslo... i am of hispanic background and the looks people give me expands my knowledge of racism... idk if norwegians just have they are face like that but i think they are pretty cold..most old ppl.... but once i speak english they warm right up to me....basically i just went out to the mall...not like there is anything else..... and tried to meet ppl... but still no luck after a year... so here i am

I would look online... (for friends..) Norway is not an easy place to meet friends. There is no Welcome wagon waiting for you..You need to be proactive & get involved.
This weekend I am going out with 3 Americans who are new to our area.. we all conected online... Goood luck!

Hi - New to this site... but I'm working on a long term plan to move to Norway.  I do have a couple friends over there, but I don't want to be a burden.  So, here are some ideas I have come up with to stay active and involved and maybe make a few new friends....

DNT has group hikes etc...  some are for singles too.
Yoga classes
Book club
Kayaking...classes, group...

Those are my ideas so far....  good luck to everyone!

Before coming to Norway I searched online for other American women living in Norway. I found blogs written by expats and then contacted them before even coming here. Then, when I got here I contacted them again. It is definitely a good start :-)

Hi - I moved to Bergen about 5 days ago to do PhD research at the university. If anybody would like to meet for coffee and chat who is in the Bergen area then feel free to contact me. Helen.

Hello Helen

I have just moved to a place called os outside of bergen but have my own car so can get about and into the city easy etc  .

I am feeling quite isolated and would really like to meet other english speaking people who like a good natter and a nice cup of coffee .

Would you care to chat? Would be nice to meet for a coffee. 

Ooow sorry I am Ailie , I am an opera singer/ teacher working here in Norway :) ooow please excuse the spelling!

Norwegians don't move around as much as Americans and probably still have the same friends they started kindergarten with, so the ones looking actively for friends are most likely people that don't have any.  Scary huh?

Making friends at work is harder in Norway than in comparison to making friends with colleagues in the US or England.  Norwegians are good at maintaining a professional distance to their work place and you can make some buddy's to eat lunch with and some to chat with at the office Christmas party but if you want a bosom friend I would spend my time getting to know people with similar interests.

I would recommend joining something - anything to get in touch with the natives. Most Norwegians are active in an organization, team, church, political party, cause or other - something, anything to get them out of the house in the evenings.  Try contacting the county service office and ask for a list of Lag (teams) or Foreninger (organizations) and start calling the contact people to see if its something you will enjoy.

Here are some national organizations:
The Norwegian Trekking Assosiation Turistforening organizes hiking trips throughout Norway.  If you want to get to know the Norwegian mountains, hillsides these are the folks you want to show you the good trails!

The Norwegian Salvation Army

The Norwegian Red Cross

Here is list of many organizations

Good luck and have fun!

I am a Romanian and I am new to Oslo. ItŽs hard for me as I donŽt even have anyone to talk to or drink some coffee with, I donŽt know anybody. ThatŽs one of the reasons I am on this forum actually. Maybe I can meet some new people, make some friends, fill my time with some good conversation in front of a cup co coffee... Anybody up for that?

Many people find Norwegians cold, and unfriendly. This is not actually true. But in most of the rest of the western world, people grew into socialization in a different way.
Numbers grew, and huts grew into villages that became towns slowly, while people got used to each other.

Due to geography and poverty, the Norwegian peoples didn't grow into socialization like that.

Norwegians as a people developed the culture and language in a country where small groups of people lived a long distance away from each other, with severe natural barriers between them. The present situation where we live in towns and get to see other people every day, is culturally something new that hasn't been fully adapted to.

You could say that the undercurrent whenever you talk to someone new in Norway is total bewilderment at conversing with someone not closely related;)

When population numbers rise, and larger numbers of people get squeezed into each others space, most languages and cultures respond by increased politeness as a social cushioning. As in Japan and the UK. But in Norway, language hasn't yet acquired the "please and thank you" that can be reflexive in other cultures. This comes across as jarring when seen through a different cultural lens.

In Norway, there is instead a minor taboo at not invading other peoples space. Physically and socially. And Norwegians like large personal spaces. The fundamental refelx in social relations is to give other people space. That can appear cold. However, it isn't really cold.

Norwegians are just better insulated emotionally. Once people get past the insulation, they find that connections tend to last longer than elsewhere.
Norwegians always start some kind of club or organization to keep in contact with their friends before the internet, and went all over social networks like facebook with a speed that left other nations bewildered.

(Culturally, if you've actually gotten to know someone, odds are you will be snowed in for the winter, so you better get along:)

All this doesn't actually mean you can't talk to strangers on the bus or elsewhere.

You just got to respect the local taboo when doing so. So as not to come across as imposing socially, you need something to talk _about_. Preferably something slightly unusual. "Wow, did you see xxxx!?" or a question "Excuse me, Im new here and dont quite get xxx"

That is the accepted way. To make friends, you need to do something together until you've spoken enough to get through the insulation. And go visiting. That works like pub trips do in other countries.

(The confounding factor here is that places where large numbers of people are pressed together, such as apartment blocks or larger cities are even more unnatural to the Norwegian culture. And when they are in such places, Norwegians tend to compensate by trying even harder not to impose on each others space.)

Basically the social dance of friendships have a different rhythm than elsewhere.

Hi,
I am french and arrived 2 weeks ago in Norway.
And I confirm that it s very hard to meet people by yourself in Norway.
And Saturday evening are the worst in this situation, because everybody is going out, not you :-(

too bad, when you are used to have fun :-)

I have a very specific question concerning coworkers... do they usually become friends, or they keep getting professional relationship... I am saying that because my boss i younger than me, and I was wondering if I could try to meet her friends.
But I really have the impression that she doesn't want. Is it because she doesn't know me or because of the hierarchy ???

PS. if there is anyone that want to go out, doing sport or have fun, don't hesitate, contact me.

God kveld
Fabrice

Hi!

I'm from New Zealand and am moving to Oslo in November, am very keen to meet some people and have coffee, join a sports club or book club etc but not sure how to find such groups or clubs? Perhaps we could make our own?

I've recently been to Norway on a holiday and made a few friends through my boyfriend. But would love to make some of "my own" friends too :)

am new to this site so not exactly sure how if works - but feel free to contact me Befa!

Thanks,

Silverfern

Hi there I am one month here in bergen norway. just trying my luck to meet people here in bergen. It's a bit depressing if you don't know people here message me if your from bergen maybe we can do some hiking or going out together.

jeannette

Gnarl wrote:

In Norway, there is instead a minor taboo at not invading other peoples space. Physically and socially. And Norwegians like large personal spaces. The fundamental refelx in social relations is to give other people space.

I would mostly agree with this with the glaring exception of queuing up. Crowding, pushing and breathing down the neck of the person in front of you is quite commonplace.  This is especially noticeable at the grocery store where personal space goes out the window and being first one out of the store is PRIORITY number 1.

Hey,

Would love to make new friends here. Currently living in Høvik, not far from Oslo and have office in Sandvika. Relocated from DK. Anyone wants to meet?

hi,,

I am also new to this City..I moved from Milan..yes guys u r right we have to more provocative to meet the people,,,,wellanybody wants to arraneg some gathering??..I would like to meet new peopel here. So let me know?.

Naresh

Hi,
Most activities and friends I found on-line (facebook, xing, etc) and joining again and again groups of several interests.
I opened my own activity group in facebook now.

Learn Norwegian ! Give yourself and the Norwegians time to warm up. During that time, why not group with other expats
and have fun.

Worst experience i made, was that finding a dancing partner (ballroom, social dance) is really hard to achieve, if you do not look like Barbie and dance like a pro. I have not found anything like a pinboard for dancing partners. (moderated: no free ads) safed my life, here they really do find you one, at least for the class. Very recommendable.

I learnt fast that standing in the bar at the counter trying small talk is not how people connect in Norway. A counter seems not to be neutral meeting point here, but only there to hand over the øl and get away from it.

Tip to all german girls, if you mix your own Alster/Radler at the counter - you will get noticed and even get talked to. Use this chance ! :-)

hey girl...i moved to norway in jan and looking to make frnds here as well...its soo damn hard!!

I am a little shocked with what people are saying about making friends in Norway. I have moved to Beitostolen recently and people are generally warm and welcoming. An example of this is going to open a new bank account and the cashier asking if I would like to go and play football at a local club.

I am not sure if these differences are because most people posting these comments are from Oslo and I am living in a rural location. I would say that is how it is in the city where ever you are, people avoid eye contact etc.

One last thing is meeting people in the bar is the easiest was to get talking to people. They are usually so happy to practice their English skills or talk about Liverpool football club. The only problem with this is that they are usually so drunk there is no chance of them remembering even talking to you...still nice to have a chat.

Hello everyone! I'm a 21 year old male from Molde - Norway.
Moving back down to Lørenskog (10minutes from Oslo) this winter, and would love to help any foreigners that wants to get some Norwegian friends. I moved away from Oslo area 2 years ago, but still have a network there.

If anyone wish to meet and sosialize, please do send me an e-mail: [email protected]

mvh William Bakken Malo

I live in Bergen. Somewhere near the Sentrum close to the bridge. Looking for friends to hang out with....send me message, drink tea or coffee, talk.....    [email protected]

available for a coffee and a chat e-mail me

Expat.com wrote:

We have been talking about loneliness when you are abroad, let's now talk about how to make friends (locals and other expats) when you're living in Norway :top:

Which are your best tips to meet people and to make friends in Norway??

Thanks in advance for your participation

Being abroad and being social takes some diplomancy, grace, and common sense. I live by these rules:

1. Do as the Romans do when in Rome.
2. Formality first, familiarity follows.
3. When abroad, place yourself in your Ambassador's shoes: what would he/she do?
4. General humor is internationally spoken here.
5. Icebreakers are universal (i.e.  the weather, the time, directions, and food).
6. Weak handshakes are good (Remember aint in Texas, Dorothy)
7. Clubs are great, but pubs are more intimate.
8. The country's language is best even when you cant speak it well (folks appreciate that you are trying to learn).

:)

I love Norway, it a dream country for me but i dont have any body to help me acheive my dream, looking 4 who to help me. Thanks

b y meeting me simple:)

Hi,

SUGGEST UN FRIEND FROM noland.

Regards

Thierno

Group activities or join a club would be some great ways to meet people.  Also donating your time to charities (like the Red Cross) is a great way to meet people.

I find that Norwegians are at their best when they're in groups.  They're more comfortable so it'd be easier for you to sorta "break in there" and make a friend. :)

Hi,

How to find Red Cross in Oslo?

How to contact them?

Jasmine

Hi, everybody. My name is Daryna, I am 20, I am au-pair in Norway. I would like to meet new friends. I live in Vestfold.
[email protected]

Hello Jasmine,

Here is the link to their localisation in Oslo : Red Cross in Oslo. Hope this helps :)

Welcome to Expat.com, Darynka :)
Hope you'll soon make some nice contacts on the website

Have a nice weekend further!

Arlette

Many thanks, FeeAcer . Hope I can do something with this information

to the newbies in norway,

hello everyone!

i have started a blog about being new in norway. maybe you can try visiting it. i will try to put more information about language course and social life in norway.
here's the link.

(moderated)
cheers!

Hi sansu13! :) I suggest you may add your blog in our Norway directory.

Thank you.
Christine

Hey everyone I'm a 30 year old male human, moved to Oslo two weeks ago from Australia.  I'm originally from Singapore.  I still wonder what have I done leaving somewhere warm for this crazy cold weather. :)  Looking to hear from anyone, feel free to send me a message!! :)

because i think that  some time coming  i will coming  to make  my life there

hello kababayan:)looking for  new good friends here n oslo:)

Hey guys.

IŽm from New Zealand, moved to Norway in 2006. I was in a pretty unique situation cos my father lives here with his second wife, plus I came to study so was instantly given a chance to make friends. From what IŽve understood, Norwegian classes are a good start for meeting people.

Most of us ex-pats know a bit about rugby - and most of the major Norwegian cities (Oslo, Bergen, Stavanger, Trondheim) and some of the minor ones have rugby clubs. You donŽt necessarily have to play, but most of the clubs will have people along just for training - and itŽs a great way to get to meet people (girls as well - all of those cities have ladies teams). The big difference in the rugby thing - menŽs rugby = ex pat mates, womenŽs rugby = norwegian mates. And with RWC on at the moment, itŽs a great time to get social!!! YouŽre welcome to contact me if you want more info :)

Otherwise - I moved to Stavanger (from Bergen) a few months ago, and donŽt know that many people here - so if anyone is bored - get in touch!!!