Moving to Tokyo in April 2011

Hi there,

My family and I will be moving to Tokyo in April and just want to drop a line to say "hello" to everyone.

I do have one question, my husband tells me that work hours are long. Can someone tell me what to expect as normal work hours?

Hello,

I'm moving to Tokyo around the same time as well.
Sorry but I cannot really comment on the workhours in Japan. It probably depends on the company.

I understand from some friends and colleagues there that international companies tend to have reasonable working hours ~40 hours pw. This is likely to be stated in your contract.

Anyway, hope to meet you till then.

Cheers!

Thanks for your reply.

Well, if you ever want to get together in Japan you can message me :)

Do you have any children? I have a toddler at 13 month.

My hubby just came back from a pre visit and this is the price to expected at some supermarkets.

Current price of these items in Tokyo (close by the Azapu tower):
Small lettuce 300yen
Small broccoli 300yen
Tomato 98 yen each
Small egg plant X3 200yen
carrot 3X 200yen
Milk 200yen 1liter
Eggs 10pcs 250 to 300yen
Detergent 900g 300yen
Shisedo sampoo 880yen for 550ml

Nissin - 10min walk from the azabu towe

Papaya 800yen
Japan tomato 680yen for 4
Celery 400yen
Newzealand lamb rack 300yen for 100g
Ground beef 400yen for 100g
Chicken breast skinless 88yen foor 100g or 800yen for 4pcs
Chicken breast with skin 42yen 100g
Smoke salmon 2500yen

Price at National Supermarket:

Melon 760yen
Orange 600yen
Small Broconni 400yen
Egg mid size 10pcs 200yen
Salmon 100G 735yen
Ground lean beef 270yen 100gram
Kikkoman soy source 275ml 230yen
Milk 200yen 1liter
Bread white 320 yen 1pack
Pampers diapers 42pcs 2000yen
Tide 1.2 gal (our usual size) 4000yen

Hi Yippy,
without knowing what industry or what company he's going to work for it's difficult to know. There is a huge variety in normal working hours. But, if it's a Japanese company then expect the worst. If it's an American company it's probably going to be similar to what is expected in the US.
A huge amount will also depend on who the rest of his co-workers are, if they are all gaijin then hours maybe better, than if they are all Japanese, where they will tend to work much longer hours and put in 'facetime'.

Anyway, good luck. hope you enjoy Japan.
There was a good discussion on this topic on
this blog here : gakuranman.com/work-life-balance-in-japan/
which may help you.

Hi Yippy
I wouldn't put too much weight on what the contract says. My husband was working in a bank and he was usually the first to leave after 6pm. Most of his co-workers stayed back several more hours.
Since you are moving with your family, let me recommend www.japanfamilyguide.com which has some good info for foreign families in Japan.
Good luck