Canadians in Belize

Hi
We are interested in moving to Belize from Canada (Toronto).
Since Belize is in the Commonwealth, does it make it a bit easier for Canadians for aquire land ect?

We are fluent in Spanish. But since Belize was a British colony, perhaps English is commonly spoken?

Could anyone give us any info? We are casually looking right now...we have a 5 or 6 year plan.
Thanks

Check out these links. They will fill in a lot of info for you.

You may need to copy and past these in to your browser's address bar.

belize.com/top-ten-reasons-to-live-or-retire-in-belize

belize.com/belize-facts.html

internationalliving.com/sem/country/belize/google/search/real-estate-lp.html?_kk=belize%20island%20real%20estate&_kt=8bcb4edb-9c9a-4d97-be93-95211b524012&gclid=CPSer-CQ4KYCFcXD7QodPz5UNA"

ambergriscaye.com/pages/goodscv/realestate.html

Anyone can buy land in belize, you only need a permit for large parcels or to buy an island.
English is the official language but spanish is useful

Hi,

We too are looking to move to Belize (from the Toronto area), but probably in 10 or so years.

We have done a lot of research, but are planning a visit to actually have a real look...but it looks wonderful.

Take care,
Sue

I am also from Canada and have recently been to Belize. All bussinesses I went to had someone fluent in English, and all signage was posted in either both Spanish and English, or just English.

I really loved the atmosphere and culture of this small country. Perhapes you would consider renting until you can buy land in an area you like :)

I've done a bunch of research but no one has been able to answer my question about taxes when you are receiving canadian pensions.How are they paid? simple question and apparently tough answere.

Betty, if you're asking whether your Canadian pension will be taxed in Belize, the answer is no.

im from ottawa and looking to buy property in belise soon but dont plan to retire for 10 yrs.from my research you get more rain in the south part of the country,you get better health care in mexico,and im looking for waterfront so i can access mexico and amberise cayo by cruiser.also there is better shopping in mexico but like canada and the u.s. you`ll have to pay duty.so im looking just outside the belise city area so i am central.im very concerned with the crime especially in the rural areas as i read news papers from belise,so im building in an area that has security.i just came back in august from honduras and theres razor wire around every house and every store is guarded by security with guns.i know of people from the u.s. and canada that left there houses came back and there were squatters living there and it took almost 6-8 months to get them out,this was in 2 neighboring countries,honduras and costa rica.nobodys gonna tell you of the crime and rapes so do your research,last week there was a guy from vancouver who was killed in roaton,honduras after he left a bar,he worked for the dept.of fisheries and ocean here in canada.

Hello popeye1,

I am sure Belize have some charming side as well ;)

Thank you,
Melissa

im not bashing belise,im actually looking at property there,what im saying is people go online and google countries in the carribean,see how beautifull it is and dont realize these countries have extremely high unemployment and poverty.there was a professional baseball player murdered just yesterday in his home in a botched robbery in the dominican republic,he used to pitch for the montreal expos.in 2007 there was an engineer off the southern coast of belise and guatemala from ottawa,ontario,canada with his daughter on his sailboat,he was murdered in a botched robbery,by "pirates"1 mile off the coast.im coming down in the spring and we were told not to diaplay any jewlery,watches,cameras,etc.dont flash your wealth,we noticed this in honduras 2 months ago when we were there.

hi, theres some areas that are more crime ridden in belize like belize city and dangriga. theres been a rise in killings in corozal area but almost all the killing is over local issues. i know guys here with lots of flash and driving expensive vehicles and even they dont get bothered, but they dont park in stupid places and many are assumed to be carrying a gun. the killings in the south offshore are usually by guats and hondurans and generally these people are not armed. after getting settled in , its easy to find someone that is related to a government minister or a facilitator that for a fee will push through whatever paperwork you need done quickly instead of waiting around for long periods of time. so residency and gun permit can be gotten quicker, right or wrong , this is their ballpark and we play the way they tell us to or many giveup and return to canada. as for shopping in chetumal, our customs guys will tag you on everything they can at times and others just wave you through. so it kinda balances out. after you are around for awhile youll get to know someone that has a cousin working at the border that day and for a few beer they dont even bother you . i live right on the guatemala border and these guys pretty laid back most of the time. besides with stores like brodies on the northern highway having the selection they do , you wont feel the need to cross to chetumal so much. cheers! roy

We are from Kamloops BC , we bought 5 acres just outside Corozal closer to Consajo .
It was no problem to buy the property at all, we used a lawyer in Belize city and he corresponded with our lawyer here in Canada it was no big deal at all.
They put up the title we put up the money the lawyers do the switch everyone's happy.
We haven't built anything yet but it's in the plans .

Guitarslinger, sounds like we are neighours :-)  Our home is on the seaside near Serenity Sands, hope to meet up with you some day.

It is quite easy for Canadians to purchase property in Belize. Their laws are patterned after the Canadian laws. Just as in Canada, you should go through a Realtor and a Lawyer, because there can be some undesirables trying to sell land that isn't theirs under the radar.  You get a title to your land, just like in Canada.

Be careful if you plan to buy property from the Mennonites.  They have been given large tracts of land to farm and some of them are selling off acreages.  The problem is that the acreages have not been properly subdivided, hence there are no titles for these individual acreages they are selling.  I strongly recommend using a lawyer when purchasing a property.  There have been instances where a properties have been sold to individuals, only to find someone is already living on it (squatting). A reputable lawyer will actuall do a physical check for you, as part of his services.  It is extremely difficult to evict a Belizean squatter.  It can be done, I am told, but takes money and time.  Belizean law says if a squatter is on a property for a given amount of time (17 years I believe) he has a right to that property.  Also, be careful of any ORAL agreements you make in regard to grounds keepers, caretakers, etc.  If you do not have it in writing, it is there word against yours.  You may find your grounds keeper or caretaker is subrenting your property without your knowledge.  Without a written contract to disallow this, you will be spending a lot of money and time trying to get them out.  Fortunately the above cases are the exception and not the norm.

First trip(holiday) in 20 years. Belize looks very promising for a future move>

Hello, we bought 5 acres near Corozal  a couple of years ago and it was no problem. The seller puts up the title and you go through a lawyer in Belize city you get the title the seller gets the money all is well.
Be advised that anyone can be a realtor in Belize so just be careful.
We bought our lot through an american guy , turned out ok but I thought his commission was a bit high we found out after.
take care Gary

I have one question and would like an honest answer.Its hard to believe from what I've been reading that the crime is that bad. Lets have the truth.

My new friends and acquaintences here in Corozal, tell me that the violent crime is occurring in Belize City.

bcoldfart: Like crime around the world, the crime is location specific and typically against people that they know. Thus the violent crime is mostly in the southern part of Belize City, and is gang against gang. Of course if you are caught in the middle of a fight you could become a victim. Think of crime in Surry BC or downtown Vancouver as compared to Cranbrook? We have bought land and are moving there. We have been to Belize Cayo district three times in the last year. We never once felt unsafe there. There is crime as is typical of the Latin America countries - theft. I saw many more houses in Costa Rica with barb wire on top of the fences around houses than I see in Belize.

Thanks for the response
Neil

We are  from Edmonton area and there are  3 other couples  that I know of from around this area that have bought in Belize.  One in the North they just bought, we bought in Placencia last Aug and 2 other couples in Hopkins area.  We did not go through real estate saved a bunch of $$. We had a friend there who was the go between for us as we were back home.  There are signs up everywhere with just a phone number.  We did hire a good lawyer in Belize city. She did all the checks to make sure who owned the property and we did receive the title.  .It was easy. as easy as buying here. just took a little longer as we had to wire money Fed ex some paper work..  back and forth.

We are going again in Aug to look for a builder.. 

Good luck..

what kind of paperwork do I need to get to move to Belize (from Ontario).  Have passport (expires in one year).  Can I renew passport from Belize or do I have to go back to Canada for this?  Have a small survivor's pension. Sure it can be transferred to Belize bank, but not 100% sure.   Read that this cannot be taxed.  (sigh of relief here)

coletteshirt wrote:

what kind of paperwork do I need to get to move to Belize (from Ontario).  Have passport (expires in one year).  Can I renew passport from Belize or do I have to go back to Canada for this?  Have a small survivor's pension. Sure it can be transferred to Belize bank, but not 100% sure.   Read that this cannot be taxed.  (sigh of relief here)

Do you want to move and become a permanent resident or come in under QRP?

Passport can be renewed at the Embassy in Guatemala City. You used to be able to bring your passport and application/fee to the Consulate in Belize City and they would forward to Guatemala City for you. Best to call/email to see if they still offer that service.  Or you can courier the documents to Guatemala City yourself.

You can go to "Service Canada" online to see if Belize is on the list for direct pension deposits. Last time I checked it wasn't.

Any Canadian financial institution can transfer/wire funds to your account at a Belize bank. Wire fees vary from bank to bank.

Your money is not taxed in Belize. But your pension is still taxable income in Canada.

Thanks!  Have been looking at property in Corozal (yes, hope to live there).  I did send a link via email, but they never replied.  I'm assuming this is normal.  Choosing Corozal because of the weather . . . drier near the north.  Hoping it's friendly.  Understand that I need a lawyer and realtor that are registered (or whatever the equivalent is), but was just hoping to get a little info.  Is this a half-decent area?  Not looking for anything huge; 2 beds, 2 baths.  Is there anything I need to know re water, etc.  If you can send me anything, good, bad or indifferent, I'd appreciate it.

It is easy to buy property as long as your willing to wait nothing happens quickly
English is the official language which is one reason we chose Belize, coming from Montreal language is an issue there

When we bought our lot we made the offer the end of April and we received our titles at the end of August.

coletteshirt wrote:

I just heard that Canada is offering a 10 year passport with a chip.  Might consider doing that before you leave!
http://www.ppt.gc.ca/articles/20130510.aspx?lang=eng

Beautiful country and people, yes there are problem area's as with every place on the planet.
Spanish is spoken in the North with Garifuna in the South, English is common tounge spoken thru out the country. Legal -like Canada is based on British Common law- some uniqueness but pretty basic. The islands are becoming more commercialized but the mainland completely removes you from the rat race. Queen is on the money but is tied to the American dollar at 2:1. Flights are becoming cheaper but still a nice trip to take thru Cancun Mx.

We rented a house for a year.   Glad we did, as we have learned much helpful information about the area.  & prices and whom to deal with.   Jumping in with an attorney and a realtor & buying a house, before knowing the country and the seasons and the different neighborhoods would not have worked for us.  We rent a 2br, 1 bath house for $550 Belize $.          best luck

New 10 year passports are not available until July 1..  I could not even find the forms on line yet..

Hello, we live in Kamloops BC and bought property in Corozal and it was easy .
The seller will give the land title to the lawyer and the the lawyer does the exchange title search etc . All in all very easy just takes a bit longer then we are used to.
Be advised that anyone can be a realtor in belize so just be careful and all's well . Gary

coletteshirt wrote:

Thanks!  Have been looking at property in Corozal (yes, hope to live there).  I did send a link via email, but they never replied.  I'm assuming this is normal.  Choosing Corozal because of the weather . . . drier near the north.  Hoping it's friendly.  Understand that I need a lawyer and realtor that are registered (or whatever the equivalent is), but was just hoping to get a little info.  Is this a half-decent area?  Not looking for anything huge; 2 beds, 2 baths.  Is there anything I need to know re water, etc.  If you can send me anything, good, bad or indifferent, I'd appreciate it.

Corozal is a wonderful place to retire to.  We have a very large expat community, made up of Canadians, Americans and Europeans.  Always lots to do as making friends is so easy.
"Anything you need to know, re water etc" Not really, drinking water we buy, otherwise at my place we use rainwater for washing and our well for everything else.
Best thing you can do is to come down and take a look around.  In the mean time, you can check out this site, they have lots of answers about Belize and Corozal at the beginning of their site. I used them to sell property for me as I had extra. http://www.belizenorthrealestate.bz/about.htm

Great.  Planning on coming down in February for a few weeks.  Guess I'll try and find a B&B or hotel and rent a car to scout the place out.  Looks like Corozal is my destination.  Do they have B&B's or something like a Holiday Inn?

There are very few "chains" of any North American restaurants or Hotels.  There is a Best Western in Belize City.  As for Corozal, there are a few very nice places.  The nicest place is Almond Tree Resort http://www.almondtreeresort.com/ a very nice place.  My wife and I were the very first guests when it opened, we were waiting for our house to be finished.  Or a B&B, they are my neighbours http://www.serenitysands.com/ a very nice place, both have wonderful owner/operators. Serenity Sands is out of town, Almond Tree a bit more upper crust. These are the two places I really like, there are others, like Tony's Inn, a very nice place, but very dated compared to the new places.  Enjoy your trip, I know you'll enjoy.

colette shirt     I have friends with a fine 2 br/2ba house near the ocean.   so when you get here plz contact me and I will give you their number.   They are from the USA

Colletteshirt: You do not need a realtor.. Lawyer yes for sure..but we bought with out a realtor.  We had a friend in Belize act for us as we were back in Canada.. long story..   but if you are buying and are there you do not need a realtor .Our friend dealt directly with the owner of the lot and we found a good lawyer in Belize City . You can send the deposit directly to the lawyer and deal directly with her/ or him instead of realtor.. saved a big bunch of money..

I also know an attorney whose father is the local Justice of the Peace.

There are a number of lots available for sale by owner at Four Mile Lagoon. If you are interested PM me I'll give you a phone number and web address. These are all 1 acre lots.

just check out the channel 5 online news if you don't believe it. One of the highest murder rates that exist, esp in Belize city.