New members of the Dominican Republic forum, introduce yourself here – 1st quarter of 2017

Hi all,

Newbie on the Dominican Republic forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Dominican Republic if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

PD : The thread New members of the Dominican Republic forum, introduce yourself here – 4th quarter of 2016 continues below!

Hello All. Have been reading a lot of interesting  Blogs. I living in Asia for over 20yrs working for the Gov. and visiting many other asian countries  I retired in Korea in 2001 and moved to Bangkok and stayed for 6yrs, then on to the Philippines where I spent 7yrs, I must say that regardless of where one go the basic rules are the same.  Learn and respect the culture. Learn as much of the language as possible, and be courteous regardless of their statue. I made my first trip to the DR August 2016. Not knowing were to go I was directed to Sosua. I found it very similar to the Philippines and some part of Thailand. So I can relate to what most of you are speaking of. In the last four years back in the US living in Las Vegas, NV. I have had enough of it. So now thinking of the DR a good place  for part time retirement. As I read more I will be asking questions and would like your honest opinions. Planning on making another trip in March after my birthday. Really looking to try that paradise living.

Welcome to the forum Techmo. I'm certain that you'll be able to find a range of local experts that can give you insights needed to make your transition to DR easier.

Welcome to the forum.  There is lots of good information here so read , read, and read some more. Feel free to ask questions you may have.  Many of us have lived here for years (11 for me).
Again welcome

Bob K

HI Techmo, already your attitude is awesome!!!!  If we can help just ask,  read lots as you already are doing. Let us know when you are here,  good excuse for a get together, we can celebrate your birthday!!!

Thanks for the greeting all. As soon as I get feet on the ground mid Feb, I will drop a message on the site. Hope to meet many of you guys. This time I will be visiting as a future resident with a set of paradise requirements. (Got to love it)

Sounds good!!!!

keep us posted
Bob K

Greetings!  I am so happy to have found this site.  I am here in Santo Domingo with my 4 yr old son and hoping to stay here for a few years at least.  I have been here many times in the past but this is my son's first time.  He is half-Dominican and I have been looking forward to having him experience his culture and language here--and so far, he loves it!  I am originally from Vermont, USA and I have earned two certificates to teach English in the past year with the goal of using them to find work here teaching.  One is from an on-line course and one is from CELTA Galapagos.  I really enjoy teaching and have experience teaching Spanish in the USA to adults and children.  I have taken the exam at El Dominico Americano but they have not called.  Any advice would be most welcome!  Also, if anyone knows of apartments to rent near El Mirador preferably or near Sarasota and Churchill would be appreciated as well!  Many thanks and hope to meet some of you who have been living here.  Best, Kristina (Lala)

Welcome Kristina!   Good for you, what an adventure for you both.  I am no longer in SD so cannot help with the apartment search. IF I hear anything I will certainly forward to you.  There are a number of FaceBook groups,  including: Everything Santo Domingo where lots of  people post apts etc.

Let me add my welcome. I am on the north coast so really cannot help with SD questions.

Bob K

Welcome lalamanix,

There are a number of websites available to find rental in Santo Domingo. One of the more popular ones are supercasas.com, but they tend to be in the higher price range. Oftentimes you may find apartments or homes for rent just  by driving around the area you wish to live and calling the numbers on the for-rent signs to inquire of the price. Your budget will determine in great measure where you will be able to live. The Mirador or near Churchill and Sarasota tend to be expensive with very few exceptions.

For example the following listing in on the 4th story of a 12 story building about 100 feet from the corner of Churchill and Sarasota is renting for $US 800 negotiable.

http://www.supercasas.com/apartamentos/ … go-centro-(d.n.)/bella-vista-norte/Detalle/888597/

Saludo!

My name is Gaby & I guess I am a back & forth expat of the DR. I lived in Puerto Plata, DR for 6 months immersing in the Spanish language (I was a Spanish major in college) & volunteering at various schools and missions (I LOVED it)! I came back to the states for awhile & now I'm heading back to DR on Feb. 20, for about 6 more months, this time to San Juan de la Maguana! I am very excited to experience Southern DR after living on the North coast during my last stay on the island.

I have heard very good things about San Juan de la Maguana, however, I am having a hard time finding living accomodations, I posted something in "accomodations", but if any of you know any information that can help me on this search, I would really appreciate it.

I just found out about this website today & I am already so appreciative of it. What a great way to bring people together & share useful information!

Thanks so much in advance for your help!!

Gaby

Welcome to expat.com Gaby,

As you may know there are very few expats in the southwest region of DR including San Juan de la Maguana with exception of some volunteers, missionaries and a handful of expats.

My recommendation is to request the organization or individual who has sponsored you or whom you are working for to assist you find lodging even if it's only for a temporary basis until you find something more permanent.

Once you arrive in San Juan de la Maguana this person can tour you around and show you some homes that may be available. Hopefully he/she will speak Spanish and will have a good knowledge of the town and surrounding areas to be able to answer the following questions:

- Which neighborhoods are better?
- Would it be better to live in an apartment or a house?
- Is it furnished?
- Does it have an invertor (back-up electricity)?
- Is the home or apartment secure (difficult to break into)?
- Will you need an AC or will a fan be sufficient?
- How far is the nearest grocery store or restaurants?
- How much does it cost to take a bus or taxi from and to Santo Domingo (this is the city with the closest international airport?
- What is the distance between your place of employment and work?
- What safe means of transportation are available? (In small cities the common means of transportation are moto-taxis.)
- Which areas should I avoid?
- Is it safe to walk at night?
- Where is the closest ATM/ bank?
- How many months of security deposit are needed? (typically 2 + first month's rent in a one year lease)
- What type of visa do I need to remain legally in the Dominican Republic for six months?

I hope these questions will be useful to you.

Hello Everyone,
My name is Joy and my husband is Keith. We were in D.R. in the Sosua area over Christmas and we fell in love. We met with our Financial Mgr. last night and got the green light for retirement! We are so excited. Our original plan was to pay off our mortgage, do some more traveling etc. After visiting D.R. we've decided we are going to sell it all, find a pretty little red tile roofed villa with a pool and fence and take long walks on the beach. We can't wait to work with DCDR and volunteer at the school. I'm a teacher and he's a pharmacist. Our plan is for hubby to quit his job (finally), I'll take a leave of absence (just in case) and we're going to start with 1 year in Sosua and go from there. Lots to think about and plan. We'll be looking for a place to rent in the area. We really loved the Playa Laguna area since it's close to town but away from the rush

Welcome to the forum. Lots of information here just read and read some more  Please feel free to ask questions.  Some of us have been here for years and have lots of information to share.
We will almost be neighbors as we live between Sosua and Cabarete for the last 11 years or so. (closer to Sosua and not far from where you are looking).

Bob K

Welcome to the forum and welcome to your new adventure. Good for you take the leap!   As Bob says read read read. Then ask your questions in the appropriate forum

Can I ask all of us to please keep this for the introduction and welcome.  We can answer your questions on a variety of topics in the other threads. Thanks everyone!

Ok my turn, my name is Axel retired Navy veteran and former Military Order of The Purple Heart National Service Officer, I worked at the VA Regional Offices in San Juan representing Vets and their claims for the past 9 yrs.  I have made the steps to buy and doing the proper moves to get to DR. I have learned the hard way and the easy way. Any questions in VA matters or so please feel free to contact me. Gracias

Officially welcome.   I assume from your other posts you are planning on getting your residency.  Lots of helpful information and people here

Bob K

Welcome to expat.com AXEL61. Thank you for offering info on VA matters.

Bob K residency is already in the works by mid month i should have it

Welcome honey!   I have a feeling you will stay active on this forum!  Keep us up to date on your process!

Will do so

Hello,
My name is Maria, I'm a freelance photographer which doesn't like cold weather :) So half of the year my 2 daughters and I live where it's warm, this year we decided to go to Las Terrenas. This is not the picture of my family but one I've took for a family here. You can see more photos on my site tropina.pro or in my instagram xxx. All my contacts are there so in case someone is interested I'll be glad to conduct a photoset in english/spanish :)
With best regards,
Maria

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Broken link + instagram account
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Welcome Maria, your post was  moderated as we don't allow posting of  emails and contact info. You may want to take an ad in our professionals classifieds.

There is a lot of great info here,  ask your questions and share your experiences with us.

Hi everyone.

My name is Greg and my wife and I are considering moving to the DR. We have been there a number of times on vacation and really like it. However we liked the sounds of what Las Terrenas had to offer for expats even though we haven't visited there yet.

We lived in Cozumel for two years so we are used to the difference in Caribbean living.

This may require its own thread but I am curious about rentals. I have read articles suggesting that you can get a decent place in Las Terrenas for $700 USD/month however based on things listed online this doesn't appear to be the case.

Does anyone have any tips for finding a good affordable house to rent? I have also heard you just go there and "put the word out" and land lords come find you. Not sure how true that is either.

Thanks!

Welcome Greg to you and your wife.  Sounds like you are doing your homework.   Please open a thread about this and many will respond. In addition there is lots of info on renting on the threads!  We look forward to helping you and to you keeping us posted too.

Check Corotos.com thats how i bought my home

Greg welcome.  Lots of info here and I look forward to you opening a new thread

Bob K

HI All, I am Michael living and working in Washington DC area. I want to move to the DR. I plan to retire early in 6 years. I have been there many many times. I love it there. I am new to this site, just found it. I hope to meet new friends and make connections with other expats in the DR. I hope to live in or near Santo Domingo. I have visited other towns, but really like the amenities of the city and I have a lot of Dominican friends in Santo Domingo.  I hope to become very Educated from this site about life as an ex- pat in the DR and finding a job after moving there. I hope to interact often with many of you expats already in the DR. Thanks.

Welcome again Michael,  lots of info here, read read read and ask lots of questions!

Welcome Michael. I enjoy living in Santo Domingo due to the many amenities too.

Michael let me add my welcome.  Lots of info here for you to read.  I look forward to you becoming an active member here.  I am on the north coast

Bob K

hello all...thank you for the newbie invite.  I am currently planning a move the the DR within a year.  Going down next month for permanent residency.  Looking to continue practicing chiropractic in the DR. I own a plantation in Pedro Brand (chinola)...looking to live in Polo in hopes of restoring a coffee plantation...would love to correspond with like minded expat or expats to be...Peace

Welcome sratamess expat.com's DR forum.

The chinola and coffee plantation sound very interesting.

Welcome to the forums!  Yes it does sound very  cool!!!!   Lots of great info on the  various threads.  Read and read and please ask questions.

We also invite you to share your experiences with us and help others as they are learning!

Let me add my welcome.  It sounds like a great adventure
Bob K

Hi, my name is Terry.  I am planning on retiring in a few years and am considering the DR.  I have been looking it to the DRProperties of Casa Linda just outside of Sosua.  Has anyone had any experience with them?  I am planning on paying cash for the property and all I would be paying for is food, utilities, and such.  Is $1500 enough to live comfortably on?  Or would I be better off finding a house outside of a gated community?

I have a lot more questions and will post them later on if I can't seem to find the answer in the blogs.

Are you referring to DR properties or Casa Linda, as they are not one and the same

Closed