Where is the best place to live in Thailand for rent, safety ect?

You seem to be different from many people, the way you see things.

I like quality....
Perhaps you are not one of the ugly western men who move to Thailand
and find a young young girl you can afford .....consider this
is paradise.
Ironlady

You get what you pay for.....
I see hundred of men are bored....Aged very fast ...
it is like drug give you good feelings.

I mean 85% cases....

I really didn't mean to come off like an arrogant westerner. I was just making the point that in Thailand most of the areas that Expats will choose to live in will be very safe. If a person goes slumming around whether it Thailand or Chicago they will find bad people. I've been visiting Thailand for years and have never met with any trouble.

[Moderated: No need to be rude]

Phuket is a great placet to live.  I live in Kata Beach a very small surfing town.  Great beaches and a safe invironment.  I would agree with your friend on Surathani.  Its not pretty or nice. I've lived in Thailand for seven years explored a lot of the country by car.

Thailand is not dangerous as you say--I've been here for three years, and I've never seen a gun.  I saw one drunk, old farang on Sukhumvit touch a guy that looked like his friend, and a shopkeeper throw hot water at him, and aside from seeing a Thai guy hit a Thai girl two times in the street as she cried, I've seen no violence.

However, I think we'll agree on these points:

Sex is everywhere in Bangkok, and if you're single and half way decent, you'll have a very difficult time finding women outside the trade (are there any???) who will entertain your advances or western men who aren't here for the prostitutes.  A sea of oddballs, for sure.

Traffic in Bangkok is horrendous, and the BTS is very, very crowded and uncomfortable.

The very pretty girls with iPhones are paid for by Asian guys, and they look down on westerners.  The educated Thai women are fat, Chinese and have tons of money.  They look down on westerners, too.  You won't feel wanted, and you'll be in poor company if you are.

Chiang Mai:  4-6 months out of the year they burn and burn and burn--trash, vegetation.  It's awful.  The cool weather is really nice.  I like it, but the attitude in Chiang Mai?  See my comments about the educated and pretty pretties above in the Bangkok section.  Chiang Mai is the mecca for the Thai man's sexual interests/dreams/perversions, and those with money come to get drunk, talk loudly, and find "dream girls" (if by find you mean pay for services).  Many, many cuties in Chiang Mai are mia noi--a cutesy term for mistress or minor wife.  In the west we call them adultresses.  They are EVERYWHERE.  I was there 14 months.  I kept giving it a chance, and I kept running into nickel and dime con artists everywhere.  After a while you see it coming.  You just look in their eyes, observe the patterns, listen to the phrasing.  Old.  Boring.  Tired.  Next dreamer will be their next target.

Chiang Rai:  This is where westerners go to spend money and turn invisible.  There is no distain nor interest for westerners in the north--unless, of course, there is a commercial relationship (moral/business or otherwise).  The Thai are not interested in westerners there.  And you have the smoke problems.  It's boring.  I was there 9 months.

Koh Chang:  It's a dump.  Trash along the road everywhere.  Even the "pristine" beaches seem to be trashy.  Yes, it's lush and green, and the water can be beautiful, but it's dirty.  And it stinks:  9 out of 10 foreigners who go there don't use deodorant.  Overrun by Russians.  Old retirees with nothing better to do than blab all night and drink anchor the town.  I was there one month.  And the internet is AWFUL.  It goes down several hours each day.

So...I've tried all the main places in Thailand, and I don't think this is the place for me.  Come.  It's great for a holiday, but it's not a good place to live or work.

The burning season in Chiang Mai, on average, last TWO months - mid-February through mid-April.

It it caused by agricultural burning and logging 'slash and burn'.

If you have ANY respiratory problems, such as emphysema, I strongly suggest you avoid the nine northern provinces during this period.

The weather during the other 10-months is quite good.

There are respectable women in BKK and
Chiang Mai in my experience, available for marriage, but they will not be found often in the bars.  Try serendipity.  Life will bring you what you need (not necessarily what you want.)
     Whereas in the west a sexual attraction is often incorrectly perceived as love, here "you take care of me" is the draw for many.  And maybe that will grow into love, or at least a contractual promise to "take care" of each other.  Love, I think, is something relatively rare on this planet.

I stand by this in full.

I an 50 yr old just split up from my wife.
Is Pattaya my best option to live?

Depends on your libido!

Does anyone want to talk about udon ?

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

Chiang mai is the best for living in Thailand,low Cost for living,great food and restaurants,nice view and slow life style

2013 - Chiang Mai is listed as one of the best cities in the world to retire.

http://seattle99.wordpress.com/2013/06/ … tire-2013/

personal thought:

After almost nine years living here, I believe it is the BEST city to retire. period

Best city to retire? Take your oxygen kit with you because much of the year it's shrouded in smog! It also has one of the highest lung cancer rates in the world. Of course, the Thai authorities don't want you to know this, so please do your research before putting pen to paper!

The 'smokey season' runs between mid-February and mid-April.

The rest of the year, both the 'Cool Season' and the 'Rainy Season'** the air quality is quite good.

** It's a real bitch to burn in the rain.

Thailand is everything between what you read in happy, happy articles about Thailand & what you read in these posts.

Chiang Mai is a great city, the (US) expat community is very vivid, and I even think that Americans are the ones making the city active. It is a city with a small town feel, and it is easy to blend in. Yet, keep using your brains. It is a city after all, and you as a foreigner stand out. I have friends who got robbed and physically attacked (girls).
Pollution is as terrible (or worse) as in BKK, many expats even leave the city/ region for 2-3 months.
I know many expats, singles, couples, families living there who are really happy.
But also many leave the city for numerous reasons.

Deep in my heart I love Chiang Rai more (ssst, hope my CNX friends don't read this ;) To me it is more authentic. Chiang Rai-ans are less "westernized" and "commercialized".

But if I were to choose for my children I would choose a place with better air.

Ever thought about homeschooling, so you can live anywhere you want?

Another issue with Chiang Mai is the lack of proper public transport. I think that the mafia must be behind the shocking state of the central bus station.
Chiang Mai has one of the highest lung cancer rate (due to air pollution)of any city.
So, go somewhere else!

I have been four time in Bangkok and once in Phuket; Bangkok is noisy, smelly and very much air polluted I still love it but if locals them self dream to live in Chiang Mai there must be a reason So I am going on holidays on the 12th of February 2014 to check the state of Chiang Mai for a possible retirement, please considerer that option too.
Rene

The 'Burning Season' in Chiang Mai, and all of the North, usually begins around mid-February and continues until the start of the Rainy Season (+/- mid April).

I would suggest people, especially if they have asthma or emphysema, AVOID Chiang Mai during this period.

I find the air quality to be quite good in both the 'Cool Season' and the 'Rainy Season'.

I've lived in Phuket for the past one and a half years. To be honest (some people may not like this comment) but I would skip Phuket completely... whilst it maybe great for the millions of tourists that visit... it is undoubtedly very picturesque however it is also incredibly expensive! In fact it is consistently voted the most expensive place to live in Thailand... that coupled with the huge number of tourists, ridiculously expensive/lack of public transportation almost makes you feel like you are not living in Thailand.

Both Bangkok and Chiang Mai take my vote... perhaps as you have a family the latter would be more suitable. Very cheap, surrounded by mountains, sadly no beaches but much more what I would call "authentic" Thailand

Xaviar84 nice to heard from you.  I could retire in Chiang Mai but it will be decided on my next holidays February 2014 I will be happy tp get advises from people living in Chiang Mai
Rene

Sir i lived in thailand 14 years
i wish i knew back then what i know now...
if you ask where the best place to live...well i would ask number one and that be the king of thailand
he lives in hua hin
and i think thats the best...love that place and moving there soon...surrounding towns are great as well
new hospital and macro ...
forget pattaya....not where you want to be
beach at hua hin beautiful
ck it out on the internet..

i agree udon thani great but no beach

Wich city do you stay ?

Hi mr G-Satun,

To whom are you referring?

How can we help you?

Have a nice day,

Hasnaa
Expat.com Team

It is interesting reading the replies to the original post in 2011 . I am writing this in Aug 2014 . It would be interesting to learn what your experience was .
Myself , I have been retired in rural China for the past year . Zero other Westerners . Zero Western conveniences . But the people are happy and that makes for a happy life.
People who complain about the 'Fleshpots of Thailand " are probably frequenters of such places and thus have a distorted view on reality . The thing is that a lot of unhappy Westerners try to find happiness in another country , when the problem is their inner unhappiness . So they find problems wherever they go . And people with a relaxed cheerful attitude find a relaxed cheerful life , wherever they go .
Bottom line : Give it a try , but have a back-up plan .

Thailand is gorgeous! My goodness.

Great common sense ... great people everywhere in world and bad people everywhere in the world.
One thing is common .. you take YOU wherever you go.
Hope you are enjoying yourself in rural China.

gary lee wrote:

Sir i lived in thailand 14 years
i wish i knew back then what i know now...
if you ask where the best place to live...well i would ask number one and that be the king of thailand
he lives in hua hin
and i think thats the best...love that place and moving there soon...surrounding towns are great as well
new hospital and macro ...
forget pattaya....not where you want to be
beach at hua hin beautiful

ck it out on the internet..

Wouldn't mind laying on the beach, but don't know that I would go in the water unless they've seriously cleaned it up in Pattaya.

I recommend Chiang Mai too. My hometown is in Bangkok but I have moved to Chiang Mai for work 4 years now. It is a convenience city to live. You can find many shopping places but it's not too far if you want to visit local community.

To whom it may concern,
I have read sooo many good and bad things about Thailand starting in year 2011 -2013 it is now year 2015 and i wonder if there is anyone on here that now resides in Koh Samui or Phuket with children?
I have my eyes on a nice property(beach front) beautiful home but i do not want to set myself up for failure.
I would like to live here for about a year then have it as a vacation home.
Are these areas i mentioned family oriented(a lot of children)  family friendly & is race a factor because my children & i are African american/Indian?
My kids are 17(identical twin girls) & a 7 year old son so is there a lot of fun festivities for theses ages(shopping malls,good food,dining, theme parks,beaches,movie theaters,** Schools ** also a night life for myself(clubbing,dancing,).?
If someone could update me more of these location it would be greatly appreciated.
Sincerely,
Taeza

You might try Hua Hin, it is safe, has lots of places for children, has it's night clubs for you, there are a number of businesses that are owned by Expats, which is nice. Places are affordable. There are a nest of houses that are on the grounds of the VIP Condo, very quiet area, the houses rent for 10,000 baht a month, which is quite a good deal for that area, just outside from downtown, walking distance to the beach, with a outdoor pool.  We rented a condo & really liked the quiet area, where people walk at night on the streets, kids play ball on the streets, people sit in the front of there yards eating dinner.  Good Luck to you, Patrick    PS there is a mixed group of people in Hua hin, I don't believe there is any bais in regards to the colour of your skin. The Whealthy Thai's come down for the week-ends from Bangkok for R&R.

Hi I'm Indonesian
You will like to live in Hua Hin . Safest for family .

Hua Hin, boring, but yes I agree, I think too that it is the best place to live with a family.
@ taezaj123 : Phuket, Koh Samui can be nice for a short holiday, but I would never place myself or my children here.

The subject: Where is the best place to live - rent; safety etc is very subjective as all of us are different.

It all depends on you!

Subjective because of age; gender; single or with spouse or with young kids or teenagers; are you a party animal or enjoy concert; play; classical music; are you a person who enjoys various food; do you like the sea that has a tan or a quiet person who loves the mountain.

Now not many schools in Thailand are acceptable overseas. So if your kid study in a school here may not be accepted back in your country.

Major international schools in Bangkok are accepted in their respective countries.

If you are a food lover, you may not get certain spices and sauce outside Bangkok. Even in Bangkok, same supermarket does not stock same items.

As for restaurant, you may not get the same quality in other cities unless you don't care but just eat it.

Likewise for DVD movies as you may not get them in certain cities.

You need to find out yourself based on your taste.

What is safety? Rape or pick pocket or robbery or vandalism or murder or drugs etc

You find rapist and some rape 75 years lady or young 6 years girl. You find shooting even teenagers gang clash. A lady's house was robbed 9 times and they carried her safe away.

It all depends on you - do you boast about yourself to people like you are a rich person. Or someone who loves to show gold jewelry etc on their body.

Maybe show off your various electronic gadgets - iMac; iBook; iPad; big screen Tv; xbox etc

All these are temptations to robbers etc

What kind of housing estate you stay?

How close are you with security guards and neighbors?

A few places not mentioned off the beaten track. Ubon Ratchathani and Trat. Both cities are absolutely charming and dirt cheap.

I've lived in Khon Kaen which is the center off Isaan. A plain, ugly Thai city.  Not much English spoken there and probably even busier with more traffic now then it was  when I was there over five years ago.

I have lived in Pakret Nonthaburi Province for 11 years I have a three bedroomed home that cost me 1.300,000 baht I've just bought my second car, I have numerous holiday places I can visit. Its an hour and a half  from Pattaya 15 minutes from Bangkok  its clean safe and some very good Hospitals private or government. There is an International village called Nichada where all falang live with  supermarkets that supply European food There is work if you need it. Also a large area of English speaking Schools.