How to get the help initially to settle in australia?

hi ,I am working as associate manager in a software company in india and my husband working in USA  ,he is also in to IT ..we have applied PR and planning to settle down in australia ...we have2 kids doing pre-school..we dont have known people in australia . what is the cost of living in perth ?and melbornue how are the job opportunities in perth for it professional ? how to get the help initially to settle in australia? how is the indian community ?

Hi Sreedevi,

You may want to try to visit the two Australian online job websites that I visit:

mycareer.com.au and seek.com.au to find out about job opportunities in Perth.  You may also try visiting :  http://australia.gov.au/life-events/imm … -australia

which is from the Australian government... information of how to immigrate to Australia and information to help assist in getting settled in Australia.

As for cost of living in Perth and Melbourne, you may want to see previous posts on this forum if others have posted them.  I think it's kind of difficult to give an approximate cost of living amount since it depends on your lifestyle. If you want to live in a nicer neighborhood, the costs will probably increase which is standard in most countries in the world. From the information that I've read in this forum and from the internet, the cost of living in Perth will be lower than Melbourne and Sydney.

Thanks

how to get indian christian community contacts in australia ?
is there any website for this ..

please let me know

Hi sreedevi, welcome on Expat-blog! :)

The Indian expatriates in Australia network may help you to find some contacts.

I wish you good luck
Christine

Hi Sreedevi,

Also try seek.com.au for employment opportunities. There are a lot of job opportunities in Perth. I have worked in recruitment for the last few year since moving here and even through the global financial crisis there were still alot of oportunities for IT professionals. Make inquiries withh large companies located in Perth and Melbourne too, because there is  a short supply of experienced professionals within the industry. Some of them may be willing to sponsor you and your husband on a 457 visa. Call around to some immigration offices, they will have far more information than what I can give you here. They will usually give you a free phone consultation because they want your business. If the companies that you speak to want you bad enough, they'll sort out all the paperwork for you and pay for your move over to Australia. Make sure you have an excellent resume outlining all of your skills and experience. Send it over before you make the phone call. Be prepared for some of them to say they're not interested, but be persistant. Unfortunately I don't know which companies to tell you to look at in particular as IT was not an area that I recruited for.

As far as the Indian communities, Perth has quite a cultural mixture of people from everywhere in the world! I don't know of any communities in particular to tell you to look into. What I can tell you, is that Perth has many different cultural influences in the make up, and India is one of them.

Just a quick google search has led me to this website. Hopefully you will find some useful information here.

Hope all of this helps!

Kind Regards,

Ames35

Thanks a lot Ames really this is good information which I am looking for  .. I am working as Associate manater in Tesing and my husband in Datawarehousing techologies .. both has got 10 years IT experience

and thanks Christine for the website given

hi Ames35,

can i get ur name and personal mail id if u dont mind ..
wanted to check if any information needed

Australia has a beautiful land with good landscaping and is a mineral rich land.

However, the useful part of country is limited to coastal areas only. Much of the

so called land in the middle is a wasteland.

It is a good country to tour. however, it is not a good country to expect jobs

matching qualifications, esp if you have studied more than year 12 - you are

simply over qualified!!

The country is good for settlers from european and former colonial countries

(caucasians). The society comprising a large population of immigrant caucasians

dominate almost everything in the nation - be it education, media, TV, employment,

support groups, politics. The caucasians term themselves as Aussies and term other

races as Chinese, Indians, Africans let alone accept Australian Aboriginals as

Aussies.

The society is very backward and do not reflect the learnedness and moral values

in general life seen in developed nations. The general population views non-

causian population as aliens. For example, you cannot see any representation of

non-caucasians in TV, Media, Politics, Government sectors, community groups.

If you are from a non-white background, Australia is NOT a place to live or

settledown. It may be a good shelter for refugees and other people who are

dispalced from their countries due to war, natural disasters, famine etc.

in my 3 years career in Sydney, i didnt face any racial indiscrimination @workplace nor my children have any difficulty in their schooling.

sreedevi wrote:

how to get indian christian community contacts in australia ?
is there any website for this ..

please let me know

Hi Sreedevi,

I am not sure how to get Indian Christian Community Contacts but apparently Hillsong church has a lot of Indian members (from my observations along with Chinese and Caucasian). So maybe you can email them and ask them. They should be friendly though :)
you can go to their website just google Hillsong Church :-)

Hi Babus,

Your statement is very true. I find that people moved from Asia face a lot more difficult than Caucasians to settle down including getting a  decent job. Asian does not get equal treatment in almost every expects.

I hate to agree with Tong and Babus, but I feel that Australia is an under-developed child when it comes to its mainstream attitude regarding the accepting all kinds of people, regardless of their skin colour. I particularly agree that the media has a lot to answer for with obvious under representation of non-caucasian races.
However, if I were you, I would consider Melbourne over any other city as it is the more liberal-minded and progressive as well as having a very multi-cultural population. Just do the research in terms of suburbs where to live.
Perth is pretty conservative and WHITE and the cost of living in Perth is just as high as in Melbourne and Sydney. Additionally, there are more job opportunities in Sydney and Melbourne than in Perth at the moment, (especially in I.T. ) where the Perth market has slowed a lot since the mining boom has slowed down.
If you come, please remember that not all Australians are racist - it might just sound like that since those uneducated, narrow minded people also tend to be afraid and very, very loud in their misguided beliefs.... 
I hope it all works out for you whatever you do - all the best!

Hi Finn9,

Thank you for your help, however this thread is outdated here :(

Please feel free to participate on the recent threads or to create a new topic on Australia Forum.

Thank you

Stéphanie

Hi Sreedevi first of all, Australia is very wide and they already consist of many staff onshore. Instead employee a foreigner from India rather they prefer onshore manpower.

What I can suggest there are lots of IT programs going on similar to Internships. Once you have a valid visa then you may involve yourself in these IT programs, you will have a chance to hand on IT field in Australia.

Once you finish your program, if you good the same company offers a job or with this experience you may try to apply any IT company for a job. Australia government prefers experience and intelligence.

@sha1818

You have posted on an old thread so you may not get a reply.........