What is happening inside the residential projects??

Dear All,

I have seen so many unusual traffic around residential construction sites and people are killing each other..

What is happening?

Is that true that there was an announcement for locals to go in any empty flat (on construction or rather finished)???

Is there anyone who knows what is going on outside??

Burak,

I had a text from the UK embassy last night, saying that The Leader has given a speech this week and this had resulted in locals taking over/demonstrating at housing projects. The advice was to keep away and avoid large crowds... I passed one in Janzour yesterday that was mobbed and cars 'parked' everywhere. I haven't been able to find out what was said in the speech to kick it all off.

http://www.almanaralink.com/new/index.p … &nid=20825

You may need Google to translate the page if it comes up in arabic.

What happened in brief is that Qaddafi is frightened from a revolution infection to come from Tunisia to Libya.So he tried to make Libyans busy with stupid things like taking over homes and flats and fight each other so Qaddafi can gain extra time to take necessary precautions to avoid a revolution against him.  My advise to all expats is to avoid crowds. and if something unexpected happened, don't worry. LIBYANS ARE POLITE AND WILL NOT DO ANYTHING AGAINST NON LIBYANS. JUST IF THE REVOLUTION STARTED AT ANYTIME, STAY AT HOME AND YOU WILL BE SAFE. LIBYANS WANTS ONLY TO GET THEIR FREEDOM FROM DICTATOR QADDAFI AS DICTATORSHIP IS NO LONGER WELCOME IN 2011.

^ and that was Sleepy Hollow's personal opinion.

http://ar.justin.tv/almanara/b/277535694

On the 13th of January (two days ago) Qaddafi was conferring with/lecturing to municipal and tribal leaders in Sabha. A man in his early thirties (from the clan of Sons of Solomon) brought up an issue that wasn't on the agenda of the conference: in 2005, a 25 year old camp for Libyan returnees from Chad and Niger was knocked down to be replaced with apartment buildings. There were approximately 3000 Libyans who had to abandon their properties, and were given 2000LYD/person to find temporary rental.

As soon as the young man began to complain even though it wasn't his turn to speak and he didn't have a mic, security moved to silence him but Qaddafi tersely ordered them to let him talk, and even though the complaint "wasn't on the agenda", it had to be discussed "once it's been brought up".

After a brief, and unusually frank discussion among Qaddafi, the young man, and the person in charge of distributing the new apartments (which he said weren't finished), Qaddafi said that there was no reason that those 3000 or so Libyans should not move into the buildings since they were finished; then left. That's in the video linked above.

Immediately the crowd dispersed, cellphones in hands calling relatives and friends, and it was first-come first-serve from there.

Youtube has just been un-blocked sometime within the past 120 minutes.

edit: blocked again

Thanks for that Mo.

MoEl wrote:

^
Immediately the crowd dispersed, cellphones in hands calling relatives and friends, and it was first-come first-serve from there.

So is yours all picked out?  ;)

:)

As far as I understand from "independent press" the most of looters and occupants were defeated by winter cold night.

Is it why there were so many cars parked on the highway near Hai 2 Mars? And for a while I thought that Basic People's Congresses have so great turnout:)

I was in a car heading out towards Leptis on Friday afternoon, I did wonder what all the traffic and people were doing out Tajura way, thanks for that Mo :top:

Libya's Gaddafi says Tunisia ouster was too hasty

Do you blame him? Africa's longest serving dictator and all that....

"Be patient for three years and your son stays alive," Gaddafi said.

Whose son?:)

I don't understand how they think.. couple of days ago, expats from eastern part of this country were harassed and were forced out of their accommodations, took everything even the personal belongings of the expats. these accommodations were provided to them (expat workers) by their employers. caution for everyone, if you are living in a flat provided your employer, make sure you have your doors double / triple locked and prepare for a fight. lol

Do these sort of things happen frequently..... we're thinking of coming to live there but this doesn't make it seem a very safe place to be.

Dinky, I feel safer here than I do in my home town of Great Yarmouth.....

That's good to know ..... phew!

officeboy wrote:

Grab-a-granny night at the Ocean Rooms in Gorleston was always a pretty scary experience :lol:

Sandman6 wrote:
officeboy wrote:

Grab-a-granny night at the Ocean Rooms in Gorleston was always a pretty scary experience :lol:

And you of course speak from experience I presume :lol:

Try German accent:) It always make your live more interesting, anywhere in England really...

And back to the topic. Who's really entitled to apartments in housing projects. According to theory and practice. I've heard that many people sell or rent them as soon as the get them. It means that there is actually a quite big number of potential buyers, people with money and no or small chance of getting a place directly from the goverment.

wysoki wrote:

Who's really entitled to apartments in housing projects.

They're being evacuated now.

Some of these units (half or less) have been sold previously by the government, and their rightful owners should have the titles to prove it.