Moving to Quito, what do I BRING???

Hi - Coming to Quito for quite a while.  I know some electronics are more expensive in Ecuador, so I am bringing a few from home.  Are there restrictions?  For example, how large of a television can I bring with me?  I also thought of bringing an electronic griddle (no stove top yet!) or something similar.  Any ideas?  Will I have problems in customs with some of this?

Any other things (of any nature) that you would recommend I bring with me?

I would bring sheets and towels.  You can bring a tv up to 21 or 22" duty free and the duty plus the 12% IVA is very little for up to 32".  I would also bring a rain jacket like the LL Beam.  Where do you plan to live as that would really influence anything else...

I would bring a good can opener and a good kitchen knife.

Sweaters :)

It is not that you can bring whatever and whenever you want... This has to be a "menaje de casa" if you already got your residency or your husband is returning after a year. But the list has to be approved by the consulate in US. It is very different if you bring new stuff with you on the plane. The customs at the airport will simply rob you. If you can't prove that whatever you are bringing is for your personal use, even worse if you don't have original invoices, it would be a 50% tax + 12% IVA of the amount that the customs officer thinks that the item is worth. Anyhow, please plan it well. Go to the airport in Quito and talk to customs. Good luck.

we are awaiting our visas (2 yr) and want to take 3 suit cases with us. We know we'll have to pay extra to the airline but when we land in Quito do we pay extra to customs too? We are only bringing clothes and maybe towels, sheets and some small kitchen items but don't want to pay a fortune at customs.

I brought 3 large suitcases this past December and did not have to pay extra at customs.