Moving with Kids......

I'm a mother of 4 the oldest is 7 and the youngest is 5mnths. My husband and I have been to the Dominican for a month travelling all around it, but that was well before having kids. We are thinking living in Ireland, and are thinking of moving Paraiso, Barahona or around that area for a few months. Can anyone give us an idea of how to get accomodation - we aren't looking for any fancy villas or anything, just something clean and decent, the general cost of living if differant in that area etc.....any info at all would be great! Thanks so much! And thanks to anyone who can take the time to reply! :)

Sorry not an area i am very familar with.  Good luck

Bob K

Do you intend to homeschool your kids?

I live here with my three kids, we have been here for about a year. We are loving it!

jarachica what area did you move to?

Bob K

Jarabacoa!!

Jarachica- how old were your kids when you moved? Did they speak Spanish?  How has the transition been? Any suggestions for how to prep them before we move and/or advice for when we get there? I have a 6 and 9 year old and we are moving to Punta Cana this summer. Thanks!

I  think learning Spanish would be very helpful to them and to you.   At least the basics will make a huge difference in their transition.

Thanks planner! I thankfully speak fluent Spanish. Am trying to work with the kids on it. It's hard because I don't even realize when I switch languages and just respond in whatever language I  addressed in :-/ I wake up saying only Spanish today and about an hour in, we are speaking English again. Ugh! Will keep at it! I have also  realized lately that I tend to act as an interpreter for them with my in-laws (everybody kids and adults is used to be interpreting and no one is learning because i am a crutch :P) and this is a BAD habit. I didn't really notice it before but now that i'm aware I am going to stop so they HAVE to use Spanish both w them and in DR. 😉 wish me luck!

You will be amazed how quickly the kids will learn Spanish when immersed in it.  Don't worry they will be fine.

Wishing you luck !!!

Thanks and I have heard that too! Can't wait to see them confidently speaking Spanish! 😀