New members of the Spain forum, introduce yourself here – 4th quarter of 2016

Hi all,

Newbie on the Spain forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Spain if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

PD : The thread New members of the Spain forum, introduce yourself here – 3rd quarter of 2016 continues below!

Hi. Am a newbie to the Spain forum. Currently in Alcalal just got here four days ago. Love it so far.
Looking to network and see what's here to do, see, explore and perhaps some long term possibilities.
Do share some info.
The name is Carla Bridgewater.

Zup folks

I'm living in Almeria since a few years.
I just registered here, looking for making new friends in the area.

Read more about me in my profile.
Don't hesitate to chat me up!

/Caly

Hello everyone, happy to be a member of this community. Looking forward meeting new people.
Here is a bit about my background and why I am here.

After a marketing and management education followed by more than 20 years experience in the hospitality and tourism industries in parallel with my  scuba-diving center in South Turkey, I have specialized over the years, in the practice of yoga. 

In 2005 I put my wetsuit and scuba tanks aside to unfold a yoga mat and started teaching this discipline.

I certified as a yoga teacher at YogaWorks , New-York, under Alan Finger's education.

I deepen and completed my knowledge getting certified in  Prenatal and Therapeutic yoga, then took a specialization in Ayurveda at the College of Ayurveda and Panchakarma in Kannur, India. 

I continued my education with an advanced Yoga for Golfers training in Scottsdale, Arizona, alongside the famous  Katherine Roberts.

Today I offer to accompany athletes, especially golfers, in their physical and mental preparation in Marbella region, as well as anyone concern about his/her health and well-being.
Every Body is unique, therefore an important principle of my teaching is to guide each student in their practice based on their specific physical condition, ability and limitations. I only teach privately and  tailor-made programs to help you feel better, stronger and happier.

Let me guide you to unlock your inner strength !

I'm living in Spain since 2001... with Ups and Downs... The Ups: Great Nature, Great weather, Lots of lihght and sunny days...Great history, architecture, Great food and wine... acceptable prices to eat and drink...Good school conditions for the kids...calm and good roads... Spain has it all to live well...The downs: complicated rigid administration, ridiculous "normativas" for building your house (while agricultural "almacens" have none! and are built in the middle of beautiful natural areas!!!...coasts completely destroyed by real estate, Business hours...and a few more... for a whole list; ask me... but don't worry, I'm staying in Spain!

hi im english living  in ireland  i arrive almeria  early nov 2016 till april 2017, looking for anyone  to play scrabble or set up a small scrabble group

Moderated by Christine 7 years ago
Reason : please share your contact details via pm. Thank you

Hi, my name is Fernando, I have lived in Houston for the last 35 years, I have moved to Madrid this past July; I don't know any American here and I would like to be able to hang around with people from the US and share the experience of moving from the US to Spain.
Also, since I brought US dollars, I would like to ask you the most efficient way to exchange them for Euros. The regular money exchange places (RIA and others) pay very low for US dollars compared with the official price.
Please let me know if you know something related to any existence of an American community in Spain (Madrid), and about the money exchange issue.
Keep in touch, thanks,

Fernando

Hi Peter, my name is Fernando, I have lived in Houston for the last 35 years, I have moved to Madrid this past July; I don't know any American here and I would like to be able to hang around with people from the US and share the experience of moving from the US to Spain.
Also, since I brought US dollars, I would like to ask you the most efficient way to exchange them for Euros. The regular money exchange places (RIA and others) pay very low for US dollars compared with the official price.
For this reason I have been changing just the minimum necessary weekly, hoping to get a better information about this topic.
Please let me know if you know something related to any existence of an American community in Spain (Madrid), and about the money exchange issue.
Keep in touch, tanks,

Fernando

Fernando,

I have no idea about American communities in Madrid... should be easy to find though through the internet or embassy.
As to your dollars...any bank will change them!... rate is good now!

Kind regards,

P.

Hello Calyagoria!

Its very nice to see your are also into permaculture and mechanics. I live close to Alicante and also grow crops organically and love electronic music very much. I work on alternative energies from home.
It would be nice to meet one day if you pass by the area!

Denis

Hola Todos!
I am Curtis. I own a technology company and desire to move to Spain and work as a Chef or open a small upper level cuisine restaurant near the coast. I am a world class chef, (original cuisine and recipes). I have owned three restaurants in the past in the USA and I really believe that any place that I open in Spain will be well attended and visited, because of its originality. I just need some help, direction and someone to believe in my passions. Look forward to speaking to some of you.  [email protected]

I have been living in Spain off and on since 1995 and am married to a Spanish national. To answer the money exchange, through the years I have used a number of methods, starting with SWIFT transfers in the 1990s, using banks, and I currently use an FX company for large transfers. I have found the following: I currently have a Citi platinum card that costs me $95 per year. I believe I got 50,000 frequent flyer points on American airlines for signing up. I make a lot of purchases with this card since it basically exchanges ANY currency at bank rate (or the rate shown on say x-rates.com) for any currency, I charge a few thousand dollars per year on this card, and with the FFB points it is well worth the yearly cost. I also previously had a British Airways visa card at similar cost and with the same advantages which might be a better choice, depending on where you live and travel to. These cards have other advantages: car rental insurance, for example, is one I've used on international travel.

I additionally need large transfers, on the order of $10,000 or so from time to time. I have accounts at two FX companies, Venstar and World first, for these transfers. I normally transfer $10,000 at a time, and both companies charge about 1% to transfer, although I had to insist on a lower rate with World first, as they wanted to charge me more when I signed up. I use World first almost exclusively for two reasons. First, they are US based do I can transfer money from my credit union to their account for only a $10 wiring fee, and second, more importantly, they update their rates on a minute by minute basis, and I can lock in a rate online, allowing me to possibly get a better rate out of hours, and to play the market, so to speak. With Venstar, I have to call an agent who gives me the rate, for the day. There may be other FX companies out there that are more competitive with lower rates, if you find one, let me know. Also, if you sign up to one of the ones that I mentioned, let them know that I recommended them, perhaps they may give me an extra break on a trade.
Carl

As for my introduction, my name is Carl Axness, and I am married to Ana Ferrando, a Spanish national and social worker. We live in the central part of Alicante. I have lived in Spain off and on for 21 years and obtained my PhD from the Technical University of Catalonia as an Engineer (Caminos, Canales, y Puertos) in 2000, at 49 years old. I grew up in Albuquerque, NM USA (the land of Breaking Bad) and worked at Sandía Nacional Laboratories (SNL) as a hydrologist and working in radiation effects modeling. I retired from SNL in 2011 and have lived in Alicante since. I have done some technical translation for the Univ. Of Alicante and the MARQ museum, and enjoy working on math problems. Ana and I have a son Marvin, who is 18 and working on a physics degree at the University of Valencia. Besides Marvin, I have 3 grown children in the US and Ana has two, one living in Valencia and the other here in Alicante.

Hi Claxnes,

Just wanted to say: IMPRESSIVE Curriculum!...I can feel you're a happy man... happy couple.
Enjoy further your life!.
I was shortly in NM some 34 y ago when it was still possible to hitchhike across the US. I did a practical year for my studies as a landscape architect in a National Forest in the North of Idaho. NM and AZ were my 2 states i loved most in terms of landscape. Some places there are just MAGIC. Few years later I hitchhiked from Boise Idaho to Homer in Alaska. Worked there for a while in a wilderness lodge. Then traveled the "Inside Passage" and crossed Canada on a single hitch ride. I've seen some marvelous places around the world but Spain remains the country I like to live. Unfortunately I have not yet had the time to travel much in Spain but I do know well my own area... The Pyrenees. I live in a triangle of 3 National/natural Parks with the valley of Ordesa and Monte Perdido as top of the top! Come and have a look here and you'll feel the magic of this area. (www.holidayhomespyrenees.com)

Warm greetings

Peter

Hello!
I'm Valerie, 22, I moved to Barcelona a month ago, I'm studying and looking for a job!
I'm an economist and a translator, I speak English, Spansh and Russian.
I also am a becoming photographer and a tutor, so if you need help with any of these - I could do it at a low price!
I have also lived in China before so I speak a little Chinese.
Don't know what else to tell here!

Hello, Andrea. 

Your message reads like a kind of dada poetry: "Hola ! Finally getting myself in the middle good to know there's people willing to help direct you , gets quite long winded !"

I'm an American.  Who said that Americans and the English are two peoples divided by a common language?  Probably Churchill.

Hi,
Not really an expat yet, but my wife and I are American senior citizens taking an exploratory trip to Valencia in April 2017. Eager to hear any info about living in Spain and in Valencia in particular, including info on neighborhoods, etc.

Thanks

Hello everyone....

My name's Ciaran, I'm 28 and from Dundee. I'm hoping to move to Alicante from Nice next year (if all goes to plan).

I'm hoping to have a job to go to but ideally would like to get into some form of teaching along with playing music too.

If I can be of any help to anyone on the forum it would be a great pleasure.

Take care

Hi everyone,

I'm Ellie, I'm 25 years old and living in Warrington, UK. My partner and I are planning to move to Tenerife within the next 12 months with our 2 dogs and our cat. We are planning on setting up our own business there but also have extensive musical skills and are happy to turn our hand to most things! :)

We plan to purchase our own property over there before we move.

Any advice would be much valued, but other than that - hi all :)

Hi Peter,
Thanks for your reply and sorry that it has taken me a while to respond. I also did a bit of hitchhiking back in my "hippie" days. In winter 1968 when I was 17, I hitchhiked with a friend from Albuquerque to San Francisco. We stayed in the basement of a millionaire's home in Berkeley, and I remember listening to the first led zeppelin album there. I hitched back to NM by myself in January, and after standing at one stop many hours, hopped a freight train that was parked a few blocks away. Went to sleep and woke up in Indio, CA, a horrible place for a hippie at the time. On another trip I hitched from Albuquerque to Ames, Iowa and back. Guess I have been lucky in my career, although I didn't always feel that way. The best stroke of luck was being able to complete my doctoral studies in Spain. I love living in Alicante and don't miss NM much.

I have travelled a bit in the pyrennes but not in your area. In the mid 1990s, I took my kids on a  trip through San Joan de les abadesses, the park at Olot, and Mont Louis in France, and Vic. Do you manage the properties in your post? My wife and I might be interesed in taking a trip up there.

Carl

Hi emma , i amBruce  62 yrs young my wife francine is 55 We are from the northeast USA . we love the Valencia area after spending most of may 2016 there.  If it's not too much trouble please keep us posted on the good ,the bad and the ugly (lol) of the details involved in your move. We are from the USA so i know we have a different set of hoops to jump through . Nonetheless we would love to hear from you . Best of luck in your move Bruce & Francine..

Hi Everyone.

I'm new to your forum, and relatively new to Barcelona. Been in Spain for about 2 years now and currently running a restaurant in Gracia. I moved here from Valencia.

I have a house in Cervello, but I have discovered what a nightmare it is to travel in and out every day (its so far and I work until late at night), so I am looking for a room to rent in the city for in the week if anyone is looking for a tenant, otherwise I am hitting Idealista hard for leads. 

Cheers!

Hi all-

We moved to Valencia a couple of months ago from Colorado Springs, CO as a starting place for a sailing trip around the world.  We have 3 kids (ages 3, 6, and 10) that are in a local public school here, learning Spanish.

The kids, especially the 10 year old boy, would love to find some other kids to play with.

Please let me know if you know any other English-speaking families in the area.

Thanks,
Lara

Good afternoon,

I am planning to move to Las Alpujarras, I have fallen in love with the location and the climate, landscape works well with my love of nature, cycling and running. I am English but currently live in Norway where I run a Cycle guiding business which I will transfer, develop and include more European destinations within. I am looking for like minded people, new or established in this area of Spain to help me in what ever way possible.

The basics, language and locating work where I can use my skills in the community to become more accepted, acknowledged.  I have also lived in the mountains in France so in a way, I am looking to re i brace this feeling of peace, tranquility.

Please do review my LinkedIn profile under my name- Justin Futers - happy to hear from you with any suggestions, thank you for reading.

Hello I'm Dawn. I've been running my own business as a holistic therapist for 18 years (reflexology, massage, meditation, reiki, life coach) and I recently qualified as a yoga teacher.

I'm looking for expats in the coastal region of Rota, Sanlucar, Chipiona, Cadiz.

I plan to move to Spain in what little time remains of 2016 (I think there are 5 weeks left!) and I have shortlisted 2 areas.
The area mentioned above is where I'm currently focusing on, and I'd like to know more about this region.

Are there any English-speaking expats living in that area? My google search has drawn a blank.
I plan to learn Spanish once living in Spain, but I would really like to have an English speaking community nearby.

I will be renting a property if anyone knows the best way to go about that too.

Muchas gracias!

Hello Dawn,

I have just picked up on your message. I am a little behind you in terms of moving, I have yet to sell in Norway and once I have secured a buyer, I will visit and get to grips with the move.

I noted your background which is defiantly of interest, I aim to travel with my cycle guiding business and Southern Spain offers increased destination opportunities for the Nordic market.

I am aiming at Las Alpujarras - the mountain range between the Sierra Nevada and Costa Tropical. I am looking for an outdoors lifestyle. I too plan to connect with ex pats, integrate with the local community and real embrace in all aspects a new life.

**My only connections to date are agents who I have listed my enquiries with, to rent and buy later.

I hope we can keep I touch, kindest Justin

Moderated by Christine 7 years ago
Reason : please register your business in the business directory. Thank you

Hello

I am Wiem from Tunisa agrnomic engineer I am working now in a Spanich company in Tunisia.
I am looking for a job in Spain (and Malaysia too).I did a training during 3 months in Huelva (South of Spain) and Portugal too.
I hope to come back and to find a job there

Regards,
Thanks

hola!

Soy Wiem de tunez ingeniera en Agronomia trabajando en una empreza espanola en Tunez.
Estoy buscando un trabajo en España (y Malisia tambien).Hago una pasantía de 3 mes en Huelva (Sur d'España) y en Portugal tambien.
Espero volver otra vez y enctrar un trabajo allí.

Un saludo,
Gracias

Hi girls & guy's

Working as an au pair in Guindalera, Madrid.  Great city, would love to see more & have a friend to share experiences with. If you're in the same boat then get in touch.

good luck as au pair. we are on the other end of the  sphere . we would like to house sit. we have been home owners for 40+ years , you name it we are experts in home care and pet care. looking for family that needs to know that while  they are away we have their back in EVERY  aspect of remote ownership. superior references .

Hi there!

You've achieved a goal towards which my husband and I have been working.   :)  Would be interested in reviewing your "whole list" if you don't mind.  It's not easy to run into many Americans (USA) making the transition, so it's very interesting to see the perspective.

Thanks for your time!

Michele

PeterVQ wrote:

I'm living in Spain since 2001... with Ups and Downs... The Ups: Great Nature, Great weather, Lots of lihght and sunny days...Great history, architecture, Great food and wine... acceptable prices to eat and drink...Good school conditions for the kids...calm and good roads... Spain has it all to live well...The downs: complicated rigid administration, ridiculous "normativas" for building your house (while agricultural "almacens" have none! and are built in the middle of beautiful natural areas!!!...coasts completely destroyed by real estate, Business hours...and a few more... for a whole list; ask me... but don't worry, I'm staying in Spain!

Hello Everyone,

I hope everybody is having a fantastic day!

My name is Roniel, I am currently a recruiter and living in the Philippines, but i plan to move to Spain in a couple of months hopefully find work and experience life in Spain. If anyone knows an entry level customer service/data/administrative role positions please don't hesitate to reach out to me.

If I can be of any help to anyone on the forum I am one email message away.

Take care guys :)

Hi, thanks for your comment. I need to find English schools for my 10 years old son. Do you have an idea of how expensive these schools are?

Thanks

Hello to you all  :)
We are new here and I like to present us:
Alain, my husband is French nationality
My name is Petra and I am German. Actuel we live in France.
We are both young, new retirees  :idontagree: and are living in the moment between crates, boxes and suitcases, together with our two dogs. We sold our house and are waiting for the final signing of the purchase contract (and the money ;) Falling in love for the south of Spain since a long time. Favourite region is Andaloucia special the south of Sevilla. The Atlantic coast. Probably we start this new chapter of live at the end of January or beginning February 2017. First we rent a little holiday house and start looking to buy our new domicil as soon as possible. We wish a Merry X-Mas and a Happy New Year to all members of this community. Good health, good luck and happy days ahead. Petra and Alain, with the dogs Dusty and Orlando.

peter , my wife and i who are from the us plan to retire to spain. our second "discovery
' tour probably in february. we found barcelona a bit expensive, areas south of valencia too quiet. (we went in may 2016) possibly the reason for the "ghost town" look of La Manga????. can you suggest that "sweet spot"town  in which we would be just far enough away to have a decent set of amenities yet close enough to get on a train and be in a much larger city with more of a pulse for weekend trips. Also we would like your opinion as to what towns offer the best value for either a small home or apartment.along with the best liveability  thank you Merry christmas and happy new year Bruce & Francine

Hi! After living in Japan and Thailand for some years (besides other places) I'm now back in Barcelona and looking for Thai people to do language exchange with and improve my Thai!

Thanks everyone!

Thank you for accepting me onto the Forum. I have loved in Tenerife for 27 years and can´t imagine living anywhere else. It´s been a challenge at times but I feel part Canarian now. I am looking forward to meeting new people through the forum and sharing experiences.

Hi

I am currently working in Valencia looking for a long term rental, originally from the UK, I spent the last four years in Malta  :)

Hi everyone and welcome to Expat.Com  :)

@ LeighO, i suggest you drop an advert in the dedicated section of the website : Housing in Valencia. You might get some offers.

All the best,
Bhavna

Hola! I am desperation right now because i want to go to ibiza spain. My girlfriend is in there since 2014 and since then we looked for a job opportunity to follow her. I am graduate of bachelor of science in accountancy and im willing to dropped all opportunities i have to go to spain. If you help me i want to work as nanny or babysitter in spain just to be with my love. Kindly please help me. I cant find jobs like aupair in spain because they refuse me whenever they see that im from philippines because they know how hard to get a visa in spain from philippines. Hoping for your positive response. Gracias!

Hello,

IŽm Alejandra, been living in Spain for the last 6 years. At the beginng it was difficult but I have fallen in love with this city and its culture.

IŽm a psychotherapist and have my practice in Barcelona. If anyone is interested in getting to know my work here is my link: [link moderated]

Thanks everyone!!

Closed