Riyadh to Mecca : Umra Trip

i m planning umra as follows:-

depart riyadh 1600 hrs, wednesday and drive till taif to spend the night there. depart for mecca after fajr prayers on thursday, spend the day in haram, stay the night at mecca and depart for riyadh after juma prayers.

it would be my first trip to mecca. i need EXPERT info / input on following:-

1. is the plan good?
2. tested and recommended 4 star hotels at taif and mecca
3. tested and recommended stopovers along the way

(ps i cant leave early nor can i take a day off except the weekend)

thx ppl

The plan sounds good for you. Especially bcoz its your first visit. Otherwise, people prefer going to Makkah straight and take rest after performing Umrah. Most of the hotels would be vacant now a days. Cant recommend any !
And please remember me in your prayers.

Salaams

Plan is not bad, points to take into account are:-

1.The Journey time is about 9 - 10 hours. Night driving is not easy. Recommend that you have a second driver with you.

2. There are mobile camera in operation on the Riyadh to Makkah
road, so watch your speed.

3. The return journey on Friday - its very busy immediately after Jumah - expect some queues inside Makkah.

Your plan is fine, there are regular petrol stations on the route (I recommend that you fill up when you have a 1/4 tank left). The rest stops are very "basic".

Why dont you go to Makkah direct, you can get a room (very basic) at the Miqaat to shower wear Ahraam and rest. Then perform Umrah and rest afterwards. As you also have a long drive back.

Hotels - this is off peak season so most hotels have availability and reasonable prices.

Try the Ayjad Makkah Al Mukaram hotel (4 stars) walking distance to Haram - cost now is SR 330 (including breakfast) 2 beds.

A tip would be to park your vehicle at the free car park in Azizah (car park sign posted) and take a taxi to Haram SR 10. It will also help you get away easier from Makkah after Jumah.

Please do remember me in your Dua's.

thx dudes

this might be a little too late but i would also suggest packing food and snacks with you - you won't find much on the way in terms of a meal.

its isnt late redgems, i m planning the umra next wednesday. ur advise is noted. thx

umra makboola insha Allah
we were there this weekend and stayed at one of the "al safwa" hotels right infront of the haram at the wakf, i'm not sure whether it's 4 or 5 stars...was for 280 SAR.

Hi Salam to all,

I am a single woman, do you atrrange Umrah trips for women too? maybe with a family..
How much is the total cost?
Thanks..

i think u can.. others might give u a real picture... by the way... HAPPY BIRTHDAY

thx skyblue and shahab.
dear newinriyadh, i have absolutely no idea who arranges umra for single women.i will be going for umra on coming wednesday; but since i m single male i guess i cant offer u to accompany. but i m sure its not a bright idea that u can trust someone via internet to take u along.
the best way would be to inform ur employers about ur plans and let them arrange some safe passage for u.

Dear Lt Col,
We will love to have a feedback from you after your return. Did your plan work well? or you suggest something different? Any recommendations regarding hotel?

Lt.

Try and get another driver.. not that its nto possibel for you to drive allt he way. but you will want some company.. not more than 3 ppl per car though.. i have made this trip a few times, and never with more than 3 ppl in a vehicle if i am using the car, but if i have a bigger vehicle, like an SUV, then max 5. at the very max.

Insha Allah things will go good.
Remember me in your Dua'as

Cheers!

thx again for the advise guys. i will put up details of the trip inshallah by saturday / sunday afternoon.

Goblin dear,
well, i have a SUV and i am going alone..have to drive all the way, i dont have any acquintances in riyadh.

@ Lt. col.: I do not advise that you do drive all the way alone, unless you do the route frequently. In that case not an issue, but else, try and get somebody. there is always somebody ready. even if he cant drive, just for company.

@ Lt. col : How was your umrah?? I am planning for umrah(by car)with my family this weekend-inshaAllah, Any suggestions?

Lt Col, how was your experience? ... would you like to share?

Hi thanks
I will inshllah visit makkah during Term-break in February..
God willing, it will be  my fourth visit  to Makkah after Hajj, but i was thinking that it would be nice to go with a group lt col...my experience = think Saudi is a safe and good place for women to travel solo..

sorry for the delayed input. the experience was gr8. the best thing being arriving at haram at about 2 am. it was cold, not bitter, and there were not more than 3 or 4 rows circuling the kaaba. stayed there for about 4 hrs and went to sleep in a hotel just in front of the gate (where there is the holy prophet's birth place) @ 150 SRs. Parking wasnt an issue as sufficient lots are being rented @ 10 SR per hr; you can haggle a deal @ SR 100 for full 24 hrs. I departed back after juma prayers.

Lessons learnt:-

1)arrive at haram b/w 1-3 am
2)dont be choosy about facilities in hotel, just get the one thats nearest to the haram.
3)rent the car park. its worth avoiding the frustration.
4)staying night at miqaat is not at all recommended
5) travel back IMMEDIATELY after juma prayers
6)take loads of water, coke, sandwiches, burgers, etc, etc with you from riyadh. Icebox highly recommended.
7) always keep the fuel above half tank. re-fuel as frequently as possible. it would allow u to have rest / break too.
8) Ahram, belts, pouches and toiletries are all available at miqaat. no need of buying them here.

i ve plans of revisiting mecca around mid february

Allif mabrook brother taqabal allah I hope you must have remember all of us in your Dua, when you are planing to visit Madina tul munawwara The prophet (pbuh)mosque?

thx regza, i plan to go to madina in next couple of weeks

Umrah Mubrook Insha Allah.. :D

Umrah Mubarak.

Suggest you go to Umrah in the next few weeks as it is off peak season. International Visa's open 18th Feb onwards and it does start getting busy.

For Madina - 12th Rabi Awal - 15th February is a key date for those planning to visit Madina.

For the ladies travelling to Umrah - there is a coach/bus service.

hi there,
Are you planing to go for umah soon?
Thanks

I have been to Makkah last weekend for Umra and Alhamdulillah everything went very well. Things got managed timley because i saved alot of time by travelling by Air. The full two day trip cost me around 1K SAR (all expenditures included).

But now i want to visit Makkah again.....and probably again. Please suggest from where to hire economical private cars with drivers for inter-city travelling ? I am aiming to travel by road solely because air-travel is costly.I am not veru much in favour of travelling by Saptco and other bus services as they take very long to reach and spending so much time in travelling during just two days (weekends) is just a time waster.

Any suggestions ?

Assalamu 3alaykum

Any body going soon for umrah? or does anyone know a good umrah tour operator in riyadh?

thanks

Wa alikum salam

I heard now a days, getting hotel around Haram is difficult. would somebody please comment since i am planning to leave. somebody suggested me to stay in Miqat, get the hotel there, go for umran and come back to miqat and then to riyadh.... plz comment about hotel and other conditions now a days in ramadan ....

thanks

Salam John,

Yeah I heard this too .. and will get more and more difficult till the end of Ramadan... you will be driving there ?

wasalam dear friend

Thanks for your answer.

Yes i am thinking to go by my car. would you plz advise something.

shukran

hello my friend,

dont go alone ... dont drive during night, (start moving at fajr ) that the only advises i got but i am still looking for a partner to make this trip with..

Hotels futher away from Haram are always available. 2 - 3 km

(Its nearer than miqat)

Gets busy in Ramadan but very rewarding trip.

Drive during daylight hours as much as possible.

Thanks all brothers for your brotherly opinion

Since, i am thinking to leave in last Ashra and i will be with my other friends. We are just trying to figure it out that getting hotel and accomodation is really a big issue.

I would appreciate for further advise as well

thanks and wasalam

Look for hotels in azzizyah district (good price) its 2km to 3 km out but a 5 min taxi journey SR10.

Try
Makarim Albait Hotel
Multazim Concorde hotel
Alreyada Haya Hotel

book now....these hotels are in Azizziyah district of makkah and have availaibility, double room is about SR 300 - SR 400. (and cheaper if you barter)

Living closer rates escaltes starting from SR1500+

Are you planning for itikaaf?

Thank you so much

I will try to book soon Insha Allah

Itikaff, we will see after getting there Insha Allah.

shukran

SaudiUK wrote:

A tip would be to park your vehicle at the free car park in Azizah (car park sign posted) and take a taxi to Haram SR 10. It will also help you get away easier from Makkah after Jumah.

Is this the same as "Haj Parking" that someone informed me? Is it recommended to park there now? I'm planning to this weekend.

is the drive to mecca about 9-10 hours as others have mentioned? i have heard other opinions that you can do it in less than 8 hours. we are planning ISA to do umrah a before ramadan begins. does anyone here have any opinion on when the best time is to do umrah? we are a family with 2 children so we have to take that into consideration. thanks!

@ahmedf,
Yes, that's the same parking as Hajj. I belive the police will allow you go inside the city. But just be careful while parking. Park far away from the Haram or you'll find it diappeared early next morning. Or you can park in the Hajj parking and use public transport to and from the Haram (safer).

@Om Adam ,
These days are the best for Umrah. Temperature is good and the rush is minimal. Less than 8 hours is possible if you exceed the speed limits. My cousin, last week, got a ticket for 900 SAR :(

TheLegendLeads wrote:

@ahmedf,
Yes, that's the same parking as Hajj. I belive the police will allow you go inside the city. But just be careful while parking. Park far away from the Haram or you'll find it diappeared early next morning. Or you can park in the Hajj parking and use public transport to and from the Haram (safer).

Thanks. I will check the parking.

I am planning to go for Umrah next week, Ahmedf could you please share your experience. I am having doubt about parking car first and going to haram because i have to look for hotel first. Moreover I have infant with me.

I looked at the 'Pilgrims Parking'. However, it was deserted and I decided not to park there. I parked my car about 3-4 KMS before haram on the road leading to haram and took a taxi. You need to look for long term parking signs (wuqoof-e-tooli) and park it there.

As for hotels, if you goto the main gate(King Abdul Aziz) of haram, you will have lot of Bangladeshi people approaching for hotel. You can use them for booking hotel.

Umrah Maqbool & Mabrook @ahmedf

ahmedf wrote:

I parked my car about 3-4 KMS before haram on the road leading to haram and took a taxi. You need to look for long term parking signs (wuqoof-e-tooli) and park it there.

This is what i always do :)