English Native Speakers In Pecs

Hi

Are there any other English speaking people in Pecs. All ex-pats seem to be in Budapest.

I live permenently here, with my wife, just outside of Pecs. English native speakers seem to be a rare breed down here.

We know of a British woman down that way.

There's also small group of expat English speaking people somewhere around Siofok (Balaton). You can see it here: Balaton Britons. Not too far away

The gallery is not much of an advert. There's a woman dressed in a dog costume on it. On those grounds alone, many would avoid it. I think many of the folks down there could be seasonal residents with holiday homes and maybe not permanent residents. I don't know for sure.

Pecs is probably about as far away from HU based expats as one could be. As the centre of commerce, transport and so on, Budapest is indeed unsurprisingly full of foreigners of all types. I'm on the periphery of Budapest myself.

There are a number of English speaking people over the border in Austria, around Vienna,but that's also still quite a way from Pecs.

There should be some english speaking expats for sure, Elcoteq (major finnish electronics company) has big facility there and i heard that in pecsvaros there is american couple who has a pensio (small hotel). If you check google lodging in Pecsvaros you should find it. Also maybe you can contact Elcoteq HR and ask contacts.

Hi
I have recently moved to the Siofok area and I am also trying to find some English speakers to meet up with. I have visited Pecs once and it is a good drive away but not too far. I have also found that there is a big expat community in Budapest and I have already been and met up with a few people for beers and a couple of nights out which was good but it's not exactly local for me and I would prefer to find some English speaking friends closer to home. I have also found most of the younger English speaking people tend to be in Budapest too. I am 32 and most of the English spoeakers I have come across or heard of located nearer to me tend to be in their 50s or older. Not that I mind but sometimes I miss meeting with guys my own age. Let me know if you are ever in area and I would happily meet up.
All the best,
Matt

Hi

Unfortunately I am in my 50's as well, but I know what you mean. The photos I saw of the ex-pats in Siofok did nothing to convince me that I would enjoy their lifestyle. Siofok is a fair way from where I am but if I am in the area I will let you know.

Tomasc suggested Elcoteq but unfortunately they have closed one site down and de-manned the other so not so many ex-pats left there either.

Cheers

mark

Sziastok mindenkire:

I am a native English teacher currently living in Tiszavasvári and am planning to come to Pécs this summer (at Pécs University).  If anyone is interested we could possibly set up a language exchange(1 hour speaking in English, one hour speaking in Hungarian).  Or, if anyone has any other suggestions, they would be welcomed.  I have lived in Budapest as well, and yes, there are a lot of native English speakers.  However, I do know of a Roma high school in Pécs that employs native English speakers.  You may want to give them a ring.  I believe Pécs is viewed as a vacation/tourist spot rather than a place to reside long-term.  That may be the reason for the limited numbers of native English speakers/residents, idk.

Hope this has helped   :)

Hi
I am a teacher and translator living in Pécs, Hungary. I have just opened a club to host events like afternoon tea parties for adults learning English as a foreign language at intermediate and advanced levels. It is place in the city centre where you can chat and practice the language in a friendly atmosphere with new people. I also plan to provide after school day care for school children of 6-12 years of age from September 2011 where an educator or instructor will be speaking English to them during play time. We are looking for native speakers or other volunteers with excellent communication skills in English to take part in our meetings/parties in our club. All we need is you talking to us or the kids in English. The volunteers can get new friends in return, local people and may be expats as well, who can help you getting around or arranging  your things in town. Our contacts can be found at roxfort-angolklub.5mp.eu/web.php?a=roxfort-angolklub&o=hxwRAYq1r6
We are looking forward to meeing you! Call us/Write to us right now! :)

Not exactly Pécs, but close by. I live in Pellérd, which is in your neck of the woods. I too live here permanently with my better half. I am almost in my 50s.

Hi Fireupthequattro,
Nice name :). I am glad you answered. Would you like to come and join our first meeting and talk to other English speaking enthusiasts one afternoon in the second half of May? We are in great need of native speakers...
We can discuss the detailes at [email protected].
We are about the same age-group, do not worry about that!

Two new English speaking Natives in Marcali, loving life out to party drop us a line x

Hello are there any English native speakers in pecs ?

I've just moved to pecs I don't speak Hungarian yet any chance to have coffee together somewhere in pecs ?

Hi.
I am Nadiia, here since January. And I am interested in coffee)))

Hi Nadia choose place n time n we meet up I have plenty of time bc I'm still looking for a job

We can meet Friday in the evening, what do u think?:)

Cool I think u have to choose place bc I'm in pecs just 2 weeks n don't know many places

Guys any idea how to find job in pecs without Hungarian ? Any suggestion ?

kaledonia.hu/index.php?lang=en I also do not know lots of places, but read recently about this one, wanted to visit. What do you think?

Can't see that link

It say link under review

1066 Budapest
Mozsar utca 9
HUNGARY
british pub

My husband and I have recently retired from the UK. We're currently staying near Kalocsa, a small town about halfway between Budapest and Pecs.  Our aim is to teach some English and my husband has been offered some part-time work teaching business and legal English at the local language school in Pecs.  Hence, we're shortly moving there and are about to rent a small apartment near to the centre.
We're originally from a small town in Wales but have lived in England, mostly around the Bristol area, for a number of years.

I'm looking for an English-speaking or bilingual church in or within easy travelling distance of Pecs, and wondered whether you have any suggestions.

Kind Regards

Rona Davies (husband is Nigel Davies)

I'm moving to Pecs August 1st and would be happy to help as a volunteer :)

Rona Davies

Hi Rona and Nigel,

Welcome to Expat-Blog :)

You should post an ad in the Volunteering in Hungary section pls 

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

Hi, for anyone interested, there is an English Wednesday night Bible Study (translated into Hungarian) at Golgota Pécs (Calvary Chapel). The Sunday morning service also usually has english translation at the back. For info visit;
- pecs.golgota.hu or visit the Facebook page.

hi im martin i've been trying to move to pecs few times but i couldn't find job over there.... is it really that hard to find anything if i dont speak hungarian ??

@markru

trying to join you before end of year from holland

Isee the post is quite old just wondered if any of the people here still live in Pécs even!! Its 10 years on

@ronadavies

are you guys settled in. I see this post is old. We are thinking of moving there soon as our home sells. So am gathering contacts

anne & Isaac Neuteboom

Passing through Pecs sometime ago, I was surprised at the number of foreigners there who seemed affiliated somehow with the medical school.

Pécs is still  a nice place. I have been just outside there in a small village for 17 years now. Really enjoy being here. We are now Hungarian citizens.

We are retired but help at the University with Doctor/Patient conversation roles. Lots of different nationalities at the University.

Lots of Dutch people live here abouts permanently. New couple moved into the next village. Quite a few Dutch families in that village.

Few English people, only know about 6 altogether. Most English are further North of here, Kaposvar and, of course, Balaton.

Passing through Pecs sometime ago, I was surprised at the number of foreigners there who seemed affiliated somehow with the medical school.

-@zif

I know. I chatted with a American black lady a few years back who's son was attending medical school in Pecs.

We drove past once but never stopped in to actually check the place out.

It's a bit,"south" for us.

Heard it was a collage town for the most part.

It's a cheaper way to get through medical school then those who score a free ride  ( scholorship) in the US.

Makes one wonder if they are the bottom of the barrel students who wouldn't cut it at a uni in the US?IDK.

Many they are the smart ones in the long run?

17 years are impressive, good to hear that are loads of Dutch (they can be nasty from time to time (they are Dutch).

Why we left Hungary?

-Good price for property (looking back it could have been better)

-Living in a village (with a huge garden (3000 m2+) sounds nice, but also work

-Insects are a nightmare (stinking bugsm mosquitos, flies, )

-For my wife (I am older and my body is not as it good as it was) garden, house (massive) was not too easy (understatment)

Having said that, being a resident and acces to Heviz Lake for almost free (EUR 200 per year) was VERY good.

Healthcare was also fine (as per my experience)

Some restaurants are good, but many are focussed on tourists, still a few good (please look at my posts)

As a last note in Keszthely in theather there are sometimes (I would say 1 time per month) very good performances (we booked frequently). Also one of our neighbours was/is singing in a good choir (good) and we visited quite frequently.

Churches also have their good pergormances,

Problem in Hungary alchol in blood is not allowed, so a detox (with car) for the full day (fine, but not so easy)

@Marilyn Tassy

Not true, the university has a very good reputation worldwide and the syllabus is long and hard. Many do not make it. Much easier in the UK, standards dropped in the past years.

They also teach in Hungarian, German and English so it is open to many more students than UK or USA Universities, where naturally the language is English.

5 to 7 years for a Doctor is no short cut, that is for sure.

@cdw057

But you now live in Turkey. Why the change.

@markru

oh wow! Thank you for getting back and being so informative. You are still there. The post was so old i wondered if you would still be there. Thats good to hear. Our 4 day in Pécs was lovely. We had 7 in Godollo but Pecs won for me as city . Kinda bitesize yet big enough. In Holland my husband comes from a university city Leiden where the pilgrim fathers surjourned  and left from to the Americas.

We drove up en down neighbouring villages and found some more inviting than others. Manfa was sleepy, Bogad was a bit of jewel behind some chaos, Pellert i liked but then Kozarmisleny kind of won. Like Orfu and couple other villages.

looking forward to connecting as newbies to the people that have weathered the road and have insight..

thanks again and hope to link up.

Anne & Isaac

@Marilyn Tassy Not true, the university has a very good reputation worldwide and the syllabus is long and hard. Many do not make it. Much easier in the UK, standards dropped in the past years.They also teach in Hungarian, German and English so it is open to many more students than UK or USA Universities, where naturally the language is English.5 to 7 years for a Doctor is no short cut, that is for sure.        -@markruI

I know that medical school has a good rep. I meant many go there from the US who couldn't get a scholorship for medical school in the US.

It's allot cheaper here in Hungary for schooling.

That being said, we know a few Hungarians in the US who back in the 1970's got scholorships for uni in S.Ca. One even had student housing for free with his Japanese wife and 2 daughters. He later became an Architectic.

Another was a student of English and had a scholorship to UCLA where he worked part-time as a student teacher teaching English to Americans!

Wild, super smart guys, the one who taught Englsih had a mother who in commie Hungary was an Englsih teacher, probably only for party memebers since it was frowned on for average people back then to try and learn English. They'd wonder why you needed to know that.

Just strange how people must travel away to learn while resources are spent on foreign students.