Racism in Barcelona.

that's actually really disappointing,being from Spain it's really ignorant of them.

Thanks for your comment.  As I said I was disappointed with the police, but 1 out of three is not so bad.  And hopefully in the future, I will have many more dealings with the bank and health care system than with the police.

Wow! This has been one of the most remarkable threads I've ever read on the subject of racism. I do commend Ed for sharing his awful experience. Unfortunately, I have to say I experienced exactly the same, but not in Spain... in the UK where I'm from! Yep, born and bred Londoner of African origin, and the same experience of not being allowed into a bar happened in London early january and once in Bristol a year ago. It was a horrible experience. But here is what I want to say... I happen to be the founder of a popular site called Blackworld.com founded in San Francisco before moving back to the UK. When I first launched this site, I was surprised to receive emails from African-Americans who wanted to know if I was Black! Sounds funny doesn't it? But hold on... I then started to realize Blackworld.com was not black enough in terms of its content. Furthermore, there were probably historical reasons as to why some people may have had some concerns. Now if you look very closely at the logo on blackworld.com, you will notice its in black and white. I started out to build a website that aims to reflect positive attributes from the African diaspora with all its human diversity, black and white...that's it!! Infact, the name blackworld.com should I hope, reflect the inner beauty of diversity and content that makes us all human... that's the end goal. So here I am currently considering living in Barcelona, which I actually have thus far found the Catalan people quite gracious. I'm not naive into thinking there will not be racial encounters, indeed there will be, but my perception of Barca so far is, it's on the right track towards diversity. It will take more time for egalitarianism to filter through, but by comparison to say South Africa where I've also lived and indeed the United States, I honestly believe Barcelona has a very bright future and they are lucky they are not deeply tarred with the historical racial problems of the United States, South Africa and indeed to an extent the UK. I feel we all need to be patient and find positive channels to alleviate prejudices and racism when it happens. Its not easy, but there is clearly potential here.

One last thing... it's unfortunate racism and prejudice is a human disease for thousands of years, but I can't help but thinking the one thing that now binds us all together called the Internet, inherited by my Generation X and the Millennial Gen Y.... we really can help change the world with a new blue print and I believe all the comments on this thread are the very good people helping change our world right now. x

Hi,

My name is Jamar Lee. I saw your post here and was really inspired by it. I'm from the United States of African Ancestry. I just moved to Barcelona a few days ago only because I have a friend that lives here who happens to be white. My experience so far has been mixed. I feel and see the stares when I walk the streets with her. It can be a little uncomfortable but I try not to let it bother me that much. I'm looking for more friendships, mainly with other Black people like myself. I see others groups walking around (White, Asian, Arab, etc.) and having that sense of comfort within their own group because they can empathize better with one another and that doesn't seem to be an issue, so I figure why not wish for the same thing with myself? Do you plan to move to Barcelona soon? Does your site cater to my wishes? Would love to connect with you and others like myself. Hope to hear back from you soon.

hi  so many people affected by the law of gcc in middle east  about lung scar even they have a medical certificate fit to work.

My name is Victor and I'm from Spain. Allow me to tell you a little story.

I was working for a german company in a department with 100% german colleagues. I was treated like I was shit not just by germans but also by the turkish employees. The same happened to new colleagues that were coming from abroad, chinese and bulgarian colleagues. Comments on spanish unemployment, constant coughts in front of my desk, not talking to me, looking at the walls when I crossed by -. I can not tell you everything -. completely alone and management did not believe my statements about the mistreatment I was suffering.

So, after a year I was completely depressed and I could not hold crying every day. I had to quit to keep my mind together. Some months later the company suddenly merged with their biggest partner to address I don't know what problems.

After that I went to Japan on vacations and I had to bear the racist attacks of my free japanese tourist guide in Tokio against chinese and korean people. "She speaks funny (without japanese accent I guess)", "Samsung (KOR) is taken jobs away from NEC (JAP)", etc... I'm on my vacation dammit I don't want to hear that stuff.

My family is racist although they deny it, so every time I hear a racist comment I can not avoid remember those days in Germany. I just remember a funny moment when an old lady from a language tandem appointment invited me to her apartment to have... (she put her arm around my hip, ha, ha... sure keep waiting) I rejected of course.

You will find racism throughout Europe and in other countries. Spain is an underdeveloped country? yes it is and its inhabitants are just retarded, I speak Spanish, English and I'm able to chat a little bit in German and Russian and it's almost impossible to find interesting people here. But it's not that terrible.

Nationalism is getting worse in Europe with racist parties in France, Italy, UK, Hungary, etc... we don't have that kind of movements in Spain and we have hosted plenty emigrants. Catalonia is a little bit different I'm afraid.

Stick to Canada, USA, and Australia. I would move abroad if I had the money and the energy.
The good thing about being an underdeveloped country is that in a warlike situation we will not take part of it  :lol:.

I wish I had the money to fund an institution against racism in Europe  :( .

By the way: as campogirl said we have (or we used to have) an amazing healthcare, banking system. I remember asking my german teacher for help because an Sparkasse didn't allow me to open a regular bank account to manage my wages because I didn't speak German. Don't they have a contract in English? it's in those situations when you are suspicious of racist behavior but you are not really sure.

It is very sad to hear that. I was considering going there to watch fcb playing Man C. Now, i have to think twice before I book my ticket !

This has been a very interesting thread to read and it has given me some insight as to what to expect when I live in Catalonia later on this year.

It's so sad to read about the nasty experiences in this thread and my sympathy goes out to all who have experienced this ugliness personally.

I'm not so naive as to believe that this doesn't happen in most cities around the world, when you look, or act, different. In fact, I almost expect to experience racism a few times when I visit Catalonia, so in a way I'm prepared.  I have been to Barcelona twice before and never to my knowledge experienced racism  (I'm of Irish / Jamaican origin).

Now, some contributors to this thread have mentioned that they think the Catalan people are inherently racist (I'm arriving in Catalonia with an open mind).  My question is, is it anything to do with the language situation?

Right now I'm learning Catalan and will begin learning Spanish soon. 

My Catalan instructor tells me that making the effort to speak Catalan in Catalonia is greatly appreciated and should endear you to the Catalan population easier.

Alwyn8157 wrote:

This has been a very interesting thread to read and it has given me some insight as to what to expect when I live in Catalonia later on this year.

It's so sad to read about the nasty experiences in this thread and my sympathy goes out to all who have experienced this ugliness personally.

I'm not so naive as to believe that this doesn't happen in most cities around the world, when you look, or act, different. In fact, I almost expect to experience racism a few times when I visit Catalonia, so in a way I'm prepared.  I have been to Barcelona twice before and never to my knowledge experienced racism  (I'm of Irish / Jamaican origin).

Now, some contributors to this thread have mentioned that they think the Catalan people are inherently racist (I'm arriving in Catalonia with an open mind).  My question is, is it anything to do with the language situation?

Right now I'm learning Catalan and will begin learning Spanish soon. 

My Catalan instructor tells me that making the effort to speak Catalan in Catalonia is greatly appreciated and should endear you to the Catalan population easier.

Welcome to Barcelona.
Do come with an open mind! You seem to already be "level-headed" which is great.
"Catalans" (generally speaking) are not "racist". Prejudice, classist, _____ist, etc..., YES. Than again, everyone is in some respect.
Barcelona is a "big" city and in big cities people are simply "on-guard" for the most part. I'm sure you know this. To add, "young men" tend to be responsible for most of the "hustling" / crime / mischief in big cities. NOT exclusively but unfortunately, "we" make up the majority of it. So, I can understand the reasoning behind people being "on-guard".
Having said that:
- I have been pick pocketed twice by females - (perhaps Gypsies, I don't know)
Men of color aren't generally targeted by "hustlers"....unless they're "Gypsies" which can get you in the metro, or transgendered prostitutes if you happen to be out after 1am around the Ramblas. Best to avoid that area around that time unless you know where you're going and don't let anyone touch you, let alone even get close to you.
Until you become fully adjusted to the city, even conner shops will take advantage of you. Overcharging you and giving back the "wrong change" because they think you're a "stupid holiday maker".

One way to look at it is like this:
Expat vs Foreigner and Visible (person of color) vs Invisible (white)
You, my friend may be a "visible-expat". However, people may confuse you for a foreigner BECAUSE you are "visible".
Perhaps in Ireland people take no notice of you (as they don't normally do where I'm from) but here they do and will. After some time, you may begin to notice how some people might react to you. NOT that that's always a "negative problem".
The other variables are:
Female vs Male, Young (looking) vs middle-age (looking), single vs couple (hero/homosexual, makes no difference) vs family (regardless of origin) vs group (visible vs invisible)
People will generally experience the city depending on these variables and on any given day the outcome can be as distinct as the hour changes.
Please note: I said "experience" the city. NOT saying that people will treat you "bad".

Most of my "white" friends are quite protective of me when we go out and refuse to stand for any "BS".
When out with my "black/brown" friends, we all know it's best to stick to places we already know. That's just because we know the city and are "well adjusted". Also, getting a taxi (as a group) may be a bit challenging. lol..

I know quite a few Catalans / Spanish that are disgusted by other Catalans / Spanish who are racist / prejudice / sexist....even within the same family. So, while "intolerant" people (that are simply part of every city), are so ever present, there are some beautiful people here as well, that will be more than happy to include you as part of their city.

Lastly, "racism" / prejudice / etc... ALSO can come from "black/brown" people as well as other Europeans and even other expats. Anecdote later....
You'll have fun here but give it time. I'm proud to call this place home for the past 8 years.