New members of the Dominican Republic forum, introduce yourself here – 2nd quarter of 2016

Hi all,

Newbie on the Dominican Republic forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Dominican Republic if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

PD : The thread New members of the Dominican Republic forum, introduce yourself here – 1st quarter of 2016 continues below!

What no more quarterly threads???
I like this approach better.
Thanks

Bob K

Responding to request for new member intro. I'm Mike. Next trip to Las Terrenas is July 4th. REALLY enjoyed last visit  2 weeks ago. Think I may have found my proverbial place in the sun after numerous visits to places like Playa gigante, NI  /Aricas, Chile/ , Aarial do Ajuda Brazil,/   Montezuma, CR and Moalboal,PH to name a few. Really no ?'s as I've been doing this for a long time...just a quick note of thanks  to the bus co serving Las Terrenas for adding a 6pm bus from SD so we avoid expensive cab ride or overnite near arpt needed.

Welcome and it sounds like you have a plan.  Let us know if you need any info or help

Bob K

Welcome Mike thanks for introducing yourself!

Hi, I'm Steph. I've been thinking a lot over the last year about leaving the US. I have a few places in mind to check out, and the Dominican Republic is definitely near the top of the list. Looking forward to getting going and hearing what other people's experiences have been like.

Hi Steph...Welcome to the "I want to leave the US Club"!! :-) I have learned all kinds of useful information from these Expats and want-to-be Expats.  We are all at different stages which makes it interesting.  I don't live in the DR yet but my husband and I own a condo and just listed it for sale and are having a villa built.  We plan to hopefully move to Punta Cana in 1-1/2 yr.  The things you will learn here really help out in making your decision to move or not to move to DR.

I have had some realtors act like I owed them money for answering a question or two LOL! (nothing against realtors I had my license in NY and in FL :-) But here it's all free information and coming from people who are living in the DR and enjoying life!!  and they don't sugar coat it either, some things you may not want to hear.  Good luck in your journey! :-)

Welcome Steph read as much as you can and start asking questions!!!

Steph let me add my welcome.  The DR is a great place to live (I have been here full time for 10 years now) but before you make the leap you need to read, ask questions and come and visit multiple times.  It is a large country and many interesting areas to settle in.

Please feel free to ask away.  Lots of good folks with good information here.

Bob K

Hello everyone,

My login id is golfer7 and, you guessed it, I love golf :-).  I live in the U.S. and looking to relocate to Jarabacoa but will maintain permanent residency in U.S. (I work and travel extensively in the U.S.).  I have my own business as an investor/consultant; primarily working with start-ups on business valuations and capital raises.  I want to help as much as be helped.  Look forward to getting to know you all better.

Welcome Golfer!!!!   There is so much info here in the various threads,  read read read and then ask as many questions as you want!   

I have a question for you -  why Jarabacoa if you are a golfer?

Welcome and do read the multiple threads about living here.  I look forward to your participation in the forum

Bob K

Planner,
Thanks for the welcome, the response and the question.  Yeah, I know the golf in Jarabacoa is not the best, but I really like the area and the more temperate climate on a tropical island.  Travel distance to great golf won't be a big issue

Great answer.....LOL

I have lived in several towns and cities in the Dominican Republic for the past 11 years. I currently reside in Santo Domingo where I have an immigration office where I have helped 100+ expats settle in the DR.

Welcome to the forums.  You may want to take out an ad for your services.

Welcome and I agree why not take out an ad to explain your services.

Bob K

Hi All, my husband and I are Americans currently living in London.  We have been talking for years about where to retire and kicking around ideas.  Currently on our first trip to the DR and absolutely loving the calmness and beauty of Cabarete.  We are outside the city by 15 minutes on the beach and amazed at how empty it is.  Certainly not the Jersey Shore :-)

Not sure where our journey will take us but appreciate the discussions particularly about safety since one of the other forums freaked me out.  With that said I lived in a up and coming area in Atlanta that never did up and come and witnessed all sorts of things including a policeman murdered out my back door 6 weeks after moving in.  But i stayed 15 years including through 2 robberies.  Not that I want to do any of that again but more to say that stuff happens everywhere and it is relative to some extent.

I will be reading through the posts and soaking in all your experiences and advice.

Welcome to the forums.  Read read and read some more here and feel free to ask away.

My wife and I moved to the Sosua/Cabarete area 10 years ago full time and have not looked back for a second

Bob K

Welcome to the forums.  Sounds like you can find your place here.  You can adjust you will be fine!.

As Bob says, read and read and read.  Ask us your questions any time you need or want to, we do our best to answer. 

Keep us posted on your process!  We love to hear the stories.

Welcome to the forum. My husband and have lived in DR for 11 years in different parts of the island. I'm happy to see that you have joined and are doing your due diligence before making decisions. I also appreciate your reasonable attitude about the DR.

Hi, M! ( ;) abreuimmigration) Welcome to Expat.com!  I get a lot of useful information here that I often end up asking you about! It's me, Rene ...just bought the property in Cabrera...we met once at the Factory...and I've e-mailed back and forth with you!  There are forums right up your ally here...you've probably found them already...

Does anyone have contact info for a recruiter or relocation options for employment. I have been told getting hired here and being relocated is much more cost efficient.

Welcome to the forums.   I first suggest you start reading the various threads for  information, there is a lot of it here. Then start a thread asking your questions so we can answer you,  thanks.

As Planner said read the many threads here and ask away.

Have you been to or spent any time here in the DR?

Bob K

Hi Rene. Let me know when you get back. I work out of the Cabrera office on Thursdays. Please feel free to contact me via phone or email.

Let's keep this thread for new member introductions please. Thanks.

Hi,

I am new to the forum.  My husband and I are considering Las Terranas for our retirement.  We probably won't retire for another two years, so we have time to research.  We lived in Chile for six years so we speak some Spanish and are familiar with living in Latin America.

Travelove welcome to the forum. There is a lot of good information here on this board. Please read the multiple threads and feel free to ask any questions.

Have you been here before?

Good luck and again welcome.

Bob K

Welcome.

Las Terrenas is beautiful. The aspect I love the most about Las Terrenas is how multi-culturally diverse it is. In addition to Dominicans and Haitians there are many French, Italians, Americans, Canadians, Swiss, Argentinian, Russian, Spanish, and many more. I don't believe their is any other town in the Dominican Republic that has a larger foreigner to local ratio.

My husband and I live in Santo Domingo but we travel to Las Terrenas for work every week. We have lived in this island for over 11 years.

Hi,

I have been looking at the forum and just now registered.

My husband and I have been comparing retirement locations like Belize, Panama, Costa Rica and Dominican Republic.  We feel the first three may be two expensive and Dominican Republic seems more reasonable.

Welcome to the forums! Lots of good info here and it sounds like you have been reading!  Ask questions in the various threads as needed! Las Terrenas is home to many expats, come and visit!!!!

Thanks!  We hope to visit before the end of the year.

Hi all, I'm Steve,  currently living in the UAE and hoping to land a job in DR. Fingers crossed!  Great forum with really valuable info

Welcome Steve. What kind of job are you looking for?
Have  you been here before?

Bob K

Welcome to the forum Steve.

Hi Bob,  I've applied for a job with my own company,  if I get the job it would be an internal company transfer.  Apart from sailing through the Caribbean many years ago, never been there but doing lots of homework!

What part of the country will you be moving to?

Bob K

Office is in Santo Domingo

Welcome Steve!  Glad we are able to assist with info!  Keep us posted and feel free to start a thread to tell us your process, what you have learned and what else you need to know!

Closed