Places to visit in Aberdeen !

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Aberdeen is culturally rich and has lot of events taking place.

What are the places that you would recommend a new comer to visit? What about the Aberdeen's old buildings and castles? Could you please tell us more about Aberdeen's youth international festival?

Kindly share your insights with us.

Thank you in advance for your participation!

See you soon on Expat.com!

I went to University in Aberdeen and became very fond of the city. There's a great deal to see and do. I would recommend the following as a starter:

1. Aberdeen Beach
Aberdeen itself has a wonderful natural beach with lovely golden sand. It's really popular with walkers and surfers and also has the famous Beach Esplanade, a Beach Ballroom and various amusements.

2. Old Aberdeen & University
"Old Aberdeen" in the north of the city is well worth a visit. Aberdeen University is here and the Main Street and Kings College Visitor Centre is worth a look. Quite oldy worldy with lovely cobbled street.

3. Aberdeen Maritime Museum
Aberdeen's Maritime Museum really gives you a glimpse into how Aberdeen came to be and the industry that shaped this port (before the oil!). It also has displays on the oil & gas industry.

4. Gordon Highlanders Museum
This is a fascinating insight into one of the most famous Highland regiments. I am always full of admiration for the pipers who stirred the hearts of their fellow countrymen going in to battle - brave beyond belief.

5. Satrosphere Science Centre
There are loads of interactive exhibits all to do with science & discovery. Brill for kids & adults. Has a cafe & loads of fun.

6. Aberdeen Art Gallery & Museum
Hosts some great exhibitions & concerts and has some great speakers during the year.

7. Provost Skene's House.
This is an attractive period house that shows how people lived over the last few centuries. Well worth a visit and there's a good cafe in the cellar!

There are loads of other places to visit. The countryside to the west of Aberdeen is very lovely for a tour. Aberdeen also has some really beautiful parks, Duthie Park being one of the best.

Hope this helps.

David