Getting a NHS number in Edinburgh?

Hi, my wife has told me I need to get a NHS number to be able to work. How do I go about getting one in Edinburgh?

Thanks.

Hi there,

I don't think you need a NHS number to be able to work, but you will need a National Insurance Number. Once you have that, you can register with a doctor and get a NHS number through them, it's pretty easy to arrange :)

You can start the process for a National Insurance Number through this site: hmrc.gov.uk/ni/intro/number.htm

It will take a couple of weeks from applying to actually getting your card - but you will get your number a little sooner than that, and you just give it to your employer/potential employer when requested. They are usually pretty flexible with expats, and everyone knows the process can take a little while to get sorted.

Cheers,

Chloe

Hi there,
I recommend you get your national insurance number before you arrive.  I have been in Scotland for over four weeks and have not yet been able to get one.  Having said that, I love it here in Scotland!

Katie

Yes, I second that. If you can get your NI number before coming here, it is a good idea. Once you get here, it is really hard to get one. The DWP will tell you that you have to have work first, but most employers won't employ you without one. If you come over with your employer it's fine because they organise all that and one day the card just turns up. But if you have to organise it yourself, it takes forever and can delay you getting work.

Hi there

You don't need a NHS number to work. What you need is a NI number (National Insurance). it's easy and fairly straightforward to obtain. The NI number will allow you to get a bank account which is how you'll get your wages. it also means that you'll pay taxes (pension, retirement, etc).

it's very well explained step by step on [moderated]

BTW, there's also a good article on the site about how to register with the NHS