Racism

Hello everyone,

I am Grace from Cameroon. I am website designer. I think, there is racism in France.

Ah, Japan again....

I'm actually half Japanese and half Polish from Canada, and yet I too have felt like a complete outsider.

Having a Japanese name, people assume I can speak fluently, but when they find out that I don't, I'm basically a "lower foreigner".

Very sad to experience that.

Jess2010 wrote:
CLGinDE wrote:

I don't know if I would call it racism in my case, but being half-asian, I do feel very different in Germany.  In the US, I never really thought of myself as different from anybody else, but I think I am treated differently here.  When asked where I'm from, I'll answer, "I'm American" and either I get a confused look or sometimes people will say, "No, which COUNTRY in the Americas are you from?"  So, even though saying I'm an "Amerikanerin" is supposed to mean I'm from the US, I've started saying I'm a "US-Amerikanerin".  I also don't have any friends here. In the US I was at the center of my social circles and still have a lot of friends I keep in touch with, even after 4 years away.  Germans don't talk to me.  I always thought it was just because they felt that maybe I was uncomfortable speaking German to them (my husband says that I speak German fluently and with better grammar than most Germans - I just have a thick American accent), but after spending a day with a fellow (white) American, who spoke very very little German and after 9 months has a wide social network, I've changed my mind.  She introduced me to a German couple she was friends with and we started up a conversation on where foreigners could learn German (the couple had a Romanian friend moving to the area), the American excused herself and had to step away for a moment, I went on explaining the different options to the couple, and they stopped me mid-sentence and told me they didn't want to continue conversing, then they walked away.  On another occasion, I was walking through my neighborhood and was stopped by a woman who asked very rudely if I belonged here or not (it's a white middle to upper-middle class area).

Racism is present in Germany however.  There is of course, the neo-Nazis, but it also comes from regular Germans.  I've spoken to several people from Africa who have experienced it and I had a Japanese friend (she went back) who was chased and had apples thrown at her by a group of German teenagers (she couldn't understand what they were yelling at her).  I also met a Chinese guy in my German class who had lit firecrackers thrown at him.  Maybe it's just that I've only lived in what was East Germany, but the conversation with the couple took place in Bavaria, so I don't know.

I can totally relate to what you are saying. Before I moved to England last September, I had lived in the south of Germany for three years. It was the worst and best time in that country. I liked my course at university but I couldn't stand the city I was living. As you said, people never talked to me and if they did, they were rude. Plus, they always spoke in their dialect that - even after three years - I could not understand. One morning, when I was on my way to university by bike, a man on a bike started yelling at me. It was so loud that people on the other side of the road started looking. I have no idea what I might possibly have done wrong.

Before that, I had lived in a different part of Germany. I actually hold a German passport but never felt at home in that country. It was just weird. Even in school people made it very clear to me that I was different and wasn't supposed to be like that. In high school, they even gave me strange looks because I could speak English and French while most of my classmates were struggling to construct an sentence in English that was grammatically correct. Ever since I was ten years old, I wanted to leave. When I was 13, I wanted to move to Australia. I really like Australia and it is far away, too. Unfortunately, I could not quite convince my parents to move to Australia. So I travelled a lot on my own to be away from German as much as I could.

Here in England, I have never been happier. I can finally be myself without having people calling me all kinds of things and not wanting to talk to me for no reason at all. One of the first things that I noticed here was that, suddenly, I was not "weird" anymore. I finally live in a country I actually love and one that I am proud of. Living here in the UK is just wonderful. It may not always be easy. But life never is.

I am really sorry to read that both of you had this unhappy experience in Germany.

After almost 12 years living in Germany, I have to say that I do considered myself vey well integrated in this culture, at least the northern part of it - got married into a German family, helpful neighbours, kind colleagues and nice friends.

Nevertheless little things or comments constantly remind me of my foreignness. Chatting over the garden fence the other day, my neighbour asked me: "How is the weather back home?" With "home" he meant China, although my house/home is standing just 10 metres away to his. Some of my colleagues believe that Chinese people are intolerant to dairy products and were deeply surprised in seeing me enjoying a big piece of pizza.

To my opinion prejudice and ignorance are the issues here. The world could be such a wonderful place to live in if everybody could be just open-minded.

I might be too late in this thread but I want to share my experience here in Cape Town, South Africa.

It isn't as bad as some of the previous posters have experienced in Germany and other countries but what happened to me or is still happening to me, made me realised how much I miss my home country because of the ethnic/racial diversity over there.

I'm Asian and in a relationship with a White South African. We've been together for almost 4 years and only got to be together this year. So I was excited about coming over here and thought it would be easy to make friends and that I'd be welcomed...

Well, it wasn't as easy as I thought. Some of his friends (mostly the lady friends) couldn't understand why he's with me and not with a White woman. They also think it's impossible for us to be happy due to our different religion background. They label me 'coloured' as I'm not White.. whatever. The ladies say nasty things to him about me being Asian and of different colour.

However, there is a few of his friends that are happy for us and I've chosen to ignore the ones that are ignorant and to me, racist.

Older generation seem to accept us - interracial relationship - more than our generation. Whenever we sit at cafes/restaurants, older people would come up to us and compliment us or simply to make conversation which is nice and always welcomed! It's so hard to get smiles from women around my or his age and to see us as a couple... which is something I don't understand. But like I said, I've decided a while ago that I can't please everyone and why should I please those who are insignificant to me/us?

I love it here too much to let those stares/talks get to me!

I believe that being different causes intimidation anywhere, locals will stair and close themselves and sometimes unintentionally be rude to any one that looks different than the common stereotype, every thing takes time to change.

America is a special case, it grew up with a mix of many cultures that during the progress learned to cope with each other, of course the minority that suffered was the Native Americans. I don't know if today there is racism towards them but I find them to be the most Interesting people ever. 

I have a question to all, how do you react towards the locals of the country you're an Expat in? did you smile to the Immigration officer that stamped on your passport? did you say thank you to the Taxi driver that took you to your hotel/house? did you try to speak and ask or say a random thing to the casher at the grocery store down the street? do you think you are acting the non racism way?

Citizen Erased wrote:

I might be too late in this thread but I want to share my experience here in Cape Town, South Africa.

It isn't as bad as some of the previous posters have experienced in Germany and other countries but what happened to me or is still happening to me, made me realised how much I miss my home country because of the ethnic/racial diversity over there.

I'm Asian and in a relationship with a White South African. We've been together for almost 4 years and only got to be together this year. So I was excited about coming over here and thought it would be easy to make friends and that I'd be welcomed...

Well, it wasn't as easy as I thought. Some of his friends (mostly the lady friends) couldn't understand why he's with me and not with a White woman. They also think it's impossible for us to be happy due to our different religion background. They label me 'coloured' as I'm not White.. whatever. The ladies say nasty things to him about me being Asian and of different colour.

However, there is a few of his friends that are happy for us and I've chosen to ignore the ones that are ignorant and to me, racist.

Older generation seem to accept us - interracial relationship - more than our generation. Whenever we sit at cafes/restaurants, older people would come up to us and compliment us or simply to make conversation which is nice and always welcomed! It's so hard to get smiles from women around my or his age and to see us as a couple... which is something I don't understand. But like I said, I've decided a while ago that I can't please everyone and why should I please those who are insignificant to me/us?

I love it here too much to let those stares/talks get to me!

Hi Dear, thank you for sharing your experienced, it really touched my heart, I just wanted to tell you that you have been in love with this lucky guy for 4 years and he was the reason why you are there, what the people around him think shouldn't really effect you as long as you are happy with him, don't force yourself in being accepted, human beings are the weakest creatures that god ever created, they change there minds by the second, every one who rejected you, will come around and when they do, I really hope they are brave enough to apologize..

God bless you :)

MB

Munita wrote:

Hi Dear, thank you for sharing your experienced, it really touched my heart, I just wanted to tell you that you have been in love with this lucky guy for 4 years and he was the reason why you are there, what the people around him think shouldn't really effect you as long as you are happy with him, don't force yourself in being accepted, human beings are the weakest creatures that god ever created, they change there minds by the second, every one who rejected you, will come around and when they do, I really hope they are brave enough to apologize..

MB

Hi Munita,

Thanks for your post. You are right, what everyone else thinks is not important and it shouldn't effect me :)

I'm numb with it all by now - I'm living my life here with him the way we should. I'm not going to let anyone come in between my happiness :) Thanks for the kind words!

Citizen Erased wrote:
Munita wrote:

MB

Hi Munita,

Thanks for your post. You are right, what everyone else thinks is not important and it shouldn't effect me :)

I'm numb with it all by now - I'm living my life here with him the way we should. I'm not going to let anyone come in between my happiness :) Thanks for the kind words!

I am glad and really happy for you :) I wish you all the best my dear!!!

Cheers,
MB

Racism is everywhere. Even in your own country you can find yourself being insulted for no reason.

After the September 2001 incident on the twin towers, racism has taken another turn. If you look Asian from any angle, people will insult you (if not try to kill you or harm you!). Take a stroll in London and people will call you Paki!(when did I become a Pakistani?!)

It's ridiculous but it's here. It's like an itch on your arm that never goes away. To be honest, you cannot fight it; so just ignore it!

alisa_ram wrote:

Racism is everywhere. Even in your own country you can find yourself being insulted for no reason.

After the September 2001 incident on the twin towers, racism has taken another turn. If you look Asian from any angle, people will insult you (if not try to kill you or harm you!). Take a stroll in London and people will call you Paki!(when did I become a Pakistani?!)

It's ridiculous but it's here. It's like an itch on your arm that never goes away. To be honest, you cannot fight it; so just ignore it!

This is a perfect reply!! ignore it....

In the Philippines foreigners are treated royally. But when we Filipinos go to other countries we were treated as slave...

I love where i live right now.  Sweden is suc ha developed country but i hardly notice racism.  The one year that i have lived here i've only come across one case of racism (it was not involving me) but then again, this man was a bit mentally ill. 

I lived and grew up in the U.S. and i sensed much more racism there in a month than i would ever sense here in a year. 

I feel safe living here. 

Even if my husband's last name is Mohammad, he gets treated like a swed, in contrast to the way some people treat my father in the states.

Racism is the ultimate stupidity but....

I get it every day here in Indonesia. The "Bule" (inoffensive Indonesian term for white bloke) is walking down the street and everyone wants to talk and/or have their photo taken with me.
That or I'm even more handsome than I know I am. :)

In China I found many strange people.  They refused to listen to me and told me that they did not understand English.  As I continued, I asked them, I Chinese, if they understood Chinese.  This shocked them!  I had so many rude and racist problems there in certain areas.
  When I stayed in my home town, city areas hat I knew, many of the country places nearby and more, I had great times with very few problems.  Chengdu was too rude.  So, I just stayed in the areas I knew mainly.  Other times I went with groups, as the only foreigner, that I knew to special events.  These groups were mainly older and retired people from the swim club and more.  I knew the people and the families of many of them.  We had so much fun without racism.
  So stay with the people you know and avoid the worst areas.  I am a country type person, so I avoided the busy city most of the time.  Most of the country people around Si Chuan responded well to my attitude and use of their language.

Kirk-Allen wrote:

In China I found many strange people.  They refused to listen to me and told me that they did not understand English.  As I continued, I asked them, I Chinese, if they understood Chinese.  This shocked them!  I had so many rude and racist problems there in certain areas.
  When I stayed in my home town, city areas hat I knew, many of the country places nearby and more, I had great times with very few problems.  Chengdu was too rude.  So, I just stayed in the areas I knew mainly.  Other times I went with groups, as the only foreigner, that I knew to special events.  These groups were mainly older and retired people from the swim club and more.  I knew the people and the families of many of them.  We had so much fun without racism.
  So stay with the people you know and avoid the worst areas.  I am a country type person, so I avoided the busy city most of the time.  Most of the country people around Si Chuan responded well to my attitude and use of their language.

Hi Kirk-Allen,

just back from Chengdu lately - nice place with a long history. Really sorry about your experience there :-( What I don't understand though, is why you were addressing people in English in China at the first place, especially since you are able to speak Chinese? :-)

Cheers,
Fanling

In Vietnam, most of the English schools will offer white people (native English speakers and English speaking Europeans)higher salary than what they give to Asians like Singaporeans, Filipinos, Indians,etc.The thinking of some locals is white is smart, the best. The Viet Kiue or overseas Vietnamese educated abroad, say US or Australia even how qualified they are, they get the same rate as the local Vietnamese teachers.So sad...

fanling wrote:
Kirk-Allen wrote:

What I don't understand though, is why you were addressing people in English in China at the first place, especially since you are able to speak Chinese? :-)

Cheers,
Fanling

Fanling,

It's hard to tell if you are being sarcastic or not. Living in China, I experienced this all the time.

I have been speaking Mandarin for five years, and speak clearly, fluently, and with very little accent (really, I'm not just saying that. I've worked hard to get to this level of skill, and it was not easy). If I start a conversation speaking normal Mandarin, even using common local speech or slang, not too formal, people will often react as if I am speaking English.

That's because they could not imagine a white guy would be speaking Chinese. Even though they can hear, their mind is too busy assuming and doesn't listen.

After they realize I'm speaking Chinese, they are SOO excited and surprised, and tell me how amazing my Chinese is. But then if I am with a Chinese person, they will just talk to them, and talk about me in the 3rd person, as if can't understand... ask my friends to ask me questions, even though we just talked, in Chinese, about how good my Chinese language skill was.

Umm... It's very strange. It makes no sense, but happens a lot.

China is an *extremely* racist place. Sometimes positively, sometimes, negatively, but *always* racist. Never will a Chinese person think of a non-Chinese person as a normal person (I mean Chinese in China, of course). Also, black people in China? They have a very bad time. The general attitude of Chinese people is shockingly negative. People literally talk about them as non-human. White people get this sometimes too, but not as much.

There was discussion earlier about the difference between xenophobia and racism -- in China, because there is only one native race, xenophobia and racism are completely linked.

I won't even bother explaining all the millions of minute daily racist things that happened to me. Some of them very overt, some more subtle.

Don't go to China if racism bothers you. Personally, I didn't mind that much. I'm accustomed to racism because I grew up in the US with a lot of racism directed at me. I lived in a city where black people were the majority, so white people who lived in the  'black' neighborhoods were targets for them to express their anger at being treated badly by other white people. A nice circle of racism. Unlike most, I grew up to hate the racism, not the racists, and break the cycle.

In China, most people are simply inexperienced in a profound way. Someday this may change? Until then the rest of the world are just gibbering monkeys, and the whiter your Han Chinese skin is, the closer to perfect you are. Sad...

thoward37 wrote:
fanling wrote:
Kirk-Allen wrote:

What I don't understand though, is why you were addressing people in English in China at the first place, especially since you are able to speak Chinese? :-)

Cheers,
Fanling

Fanling,

It's hard to tell if you are being sarcastic or not. Living in China, I experienced this all the time.

I have been speaking Mandarin for five years, and speak clearly, fluently, and with very little accent (really, I'm not just saying that. I've worked hard to get to this level of skill, and it was not easy).

China is an *extremely* racist place. Sometimes positively, sometimes, negatively, but *always* racist. Never will a Chinese person think of a non-Chinese person as a normal person (I mean Chinese in China, of course). Also, black people in China? They have a very bad time. The general attitude of Chinese people is shockingly negative. People literally talk about them as non-human. White people get this sometimes too, but not as much.

In China, most people are simply inexperienced in a profound way. Someday this may change? Until then the rest of the world are just gibbering monkeys, and the whiter your Han Chinese skin is, the closer to perfect you are. Sad...

Hi Thoward37,

I am not sarcastic, but racist. I am not Han Chinese though, so don't feel sad for me about not having perfect white skin.

Very much appreciate the effort you put in learning Chinese. Just wish you luck with another language/culture.

Cheers,
Fanling

[Moderated: Off topic!]

Sub:most racist discriminatory treatment by MEPA in Malta
MEPA waste broker Permit given to only Maltiy
other applicant like me Black Foreigner its took long all most no.gov officer ask questions we give reply then thy ask question and question never end this is pure most Racist discriminatory treatment in the Malta.

Julian racism hmm it is everywhere in varying forms a degrees - some its harsh some not so bad,  i went many countries and yes  i'm as white as a sheet but i did try get a friend into a small bar on the border Georgia / Russia  he was black as midnight - well i tell you what couldn't you here a pin drop as we both went to walk in !! OHH DEAR !!!
The security guy looked in shock said sir   you can stay as long as you like  but ''midnight there '' sorry he can stay out under the stars !!!  no way known this tiny bar was going to let a dark feller in for a humble lemonade on a hot day  - its more than rude, but when your border gards/ guard at the bar too - are  giving you the very hairy eyeball and they are clutching machine guns   yes wellll))))  they sort of win the arguement huh !
that was in 2006  and nothings changed  lot of places in the old soviet block the dark folk are viewed in horror  ( you want to come in where?? ''here ""??? your joking they say? )

Seen a lot of  folks get a hard time over colour in my life  i prefer not to comment on much in this line,  because certain races  i just got ''no time for them'' and they not always black as midnight ''  the manners courtesy & non pig ways of people - and how they treat others  sees  me embrace them or not!

lot of races in the world  actually low morals treat woman as total pigs,  those races  never ever get in my door ! thats a fact  ! ive only time for the absolute courtesy  manners type  of ''bond races ''( oh i say!!!  )  courtesy its free  cost nothing - but its amazing the races that have never heard of it!

Ive seen some very educated  dark ones ! well mannered respectfull  etc  - then next day you see some  carry on with actions of total pigs,  you start to wonder  where those ones went that you viewed from the day before???

By and large because of that !! i very very much keep to myself  i dont hate  em / i dont love em / i dont mix with them / thats my choice /  i say / g'day nice day / goodbye /  that way i can get in no grief ! --no point in being offensive !
If your unsure of whats what  then thats the best way !

thankyou

ps tell you something funny this was said long before the days of pollie correct  this was 1975 in kings cross in sydney  2 mates of mine  lived in very sparton ''digs '' dirty old flat in kings cross and in 1975 you had very little multicultural people roaming the streets.
    This particular night we  were sitting near the mates door  the mate was stoned off his head  just then this face appeared at the door in the darkness and we just made out it was a japanese guy!!  and the mate let out a classic 1 liner  he said ''close the door man there is a ''nip'' in the air '' lol think about that  a classic  no pun  intended,  everybody cracked up !  i don't know what ever happened to the jap lol lol
All in good aussie humour you know ! i do realise in 2011  its a crime to laugh or smile !  it appears that way  lol  !

My group of expats friends...whatever our race maybe; remember that we have one mutual friend...OUR CREATOR. He joins hearts around the world under the banner of His love.
We have to look at each individual beyond race and ethnicity and we should focus on what will unite us and not on what will divide us.
I can still remember the song I have learned in Sunday School during my childhood days:
Jesus loves the little children...all the children of the world. RED and YELLOW, BLACK and WHITE THEY ARE PRECIOUS IN HIS SIGHT!

I agree with rcmedina's post.  I wish people would accept each other the way they are.  Life would be a lot easier.  I have met a lot of people throughout my life, travelled all over the world, had good and bad experiences with people, but I refuse to discriminate just because they are a different race.

Live life to the fullest and be happy.

medina i leave for europe  4 more hours  should be good  nice cool weather its too hot in Australia lol take care 
your good person like to meet you one day!

thats cool

well if you think it is racism in france you should move to china,my good friend shes african and she can tell you how it is i live in the states for 20 years and see a lot of racisme and the stronger one was between two people the same color can you believe it!

well,do you think religious beliefs,morals,influence personal attitude to racism eg. being christian,muslim,jewish,well raised or not.

I face a bit of racism every now and then in Saudi Arabia. And its quite sad..

Here's some food for thought from the way I see it..

We're from the offspring of our first parents (the perfect couple first created by god). And then little by little that offspring expanded from place to place, and depending on the geographical locations and its atmosphere the skin color changed (I have to say, it changed from the outside, in the inside, we're all the same). So it is ridiculous for people to even think or rather act on racism.

Its like god almighty gave this wonderful place called earth with everything for us to enjoy. And instead of living peaceful among ourselves, we classify people according to their race – Pathetic, wouldn't you say?

Regards,
Trevis

Racism derives from nothing else but ignorance that often leads to the fear of tne unknown.  It goes both ways if you think about it carefully.  Both parties, the racist and the victim of a racist, must learn to understand why this happens to them as individuals instead of a community in general so that they can focus on fixing the issue more intelligently.

Since this is a forum for expats and racism, I'd like to address certain areas that we can focus on to alleviate the discomfort and pain of racism.

If you are an expat or a soon to be an expat, take the inititative to learn the culture, social protocol and language of your host country.  This will indeed take you to some level of understanding of your host country to help you adjust to the new environment.  When you learn, you will understand.  When you understand, you will become a better and compassionate learner and educator.

I used to teach my native language and culture to expats from around the world when I was still living in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.  From diplomats and engineers to company directors and company trainess, they all came with one purpose: to learn how to adjust to the new environment in order to be accepted in some way socially.  Although most Malaysians speak English, Bahasa Malaysia is the national language that is widely used by the local communities with different languages and cultures.  It is not about how fluent you speak the local language. It is predominantly about how willing you are to graciously carry the local language and culture to allow yourself to be part of the new community.

Here in the USA, I have lived in big cities, on small farms and now in a small conservative town in rural Pennsylvania.  If I had not had the many years experience providing cross cultural and language training to expats, I must admit I would not have survived the first hand experiences being an expat myself in this vast nation.

Fear of the unknown can be lessened if we take the initiative to allow our hosts to get to know us first. There are many opportuninites to do so without stepping on anyone's toe.  Participating in volunteer activities is one great way to include yourself in the community.  Volunteers are the most humble people that are always eager to make yourself at home.  Once you feel at home, learn not to see yourself as an expat or a person of color and so on.  Learn to see yourself as a person who cares unconditionally.  Soon all the good things a human being can offer will follow suit.

Racism especially towards expats will not heal overnight no matter which nation you are in now.  You can dwell in it and let yourself be miserable during your entire stay in your host country or you can make the best of whatever is available to educate your new neighbors and yourself so that you can appreciate each other's differences and similarities.

Hi leerahman!

Thanks for this brilliant contribution ;)

Armand

Anytime, Armand :)

Quoting Dr Maya Angelou, "When you learn, teach."

I have never experienced racism in Kenya and an certainly not made to be conscious of my whiteness, or britishness, there.  It saddens me though that in Britain, my (Kenyan) wife was reminded about her skin colour, either overtly, or covertly on an almost daily basis.  It makes me ashamed to be British.  Even when I am in the UK on my own, I constantly hear jibes about foreigners, especially anyone who isn't white. 

The UK is supposed to be a civilised country, but if this level of intolerance is the mark of civilisation, then its not for me.  Surely civilisation should go hand in hand with better education and increased understanding and tolerance.

Longonot62 wrote:

I have never experienced racism in Kenya and an certainly not made to be conscious of my whiteness, or britishness, there.  It saddens me though that in Britain, my (Kenyan) wife was reminded about her skin colour, either overtly, or covertly on an almost daily basis.  It makes me ashamed to be British.  Even when I am in the UK on my own, I constantly hear jibes about foreigners, especially anyone who isn't white. 

The UK is supposed to be a civilised country, but if this level of intolerance is the mark of civilisation, then its not for me.  Surely civilisation should go hand in hand with better education and increased understanding and tolerance.

Dear Mr Longonot62,

I feel for you but please try not to take the blame for the ignorance of your fellow citizens.  Racism is a universal disease no matter how developed a nation is.  Your awareness of this social disease and your compassion are the best the world can ask for.  I wish you and your wife good health and much success, sir.

I am in Canada - the multi-cultural center of the world - and yes, there is racism. It takes different forms of varrying reasons. You have the usual type, more established Canadians feeling the immigration is too lax and feel they suffer economically because of immigrants. You also have more cloaked variants, as example, Chinese or Hindi parents refusing to allow their child to marry/date/intermix with non chinese/hindi so as to not disrupt cultural tradition or in some other cases for religious reasons. From my observation, they all seem to have a common thread -- older generations and attitudes being passed on. In my view, you get back from this world what you put out. You will gravitate towards people who share your own views and attitides and gravitate away from people who dont. You can try to make a difference and try to make this world a better and less racist place. But it will take a lot more than just yourself and your efforts.

alisa_ram wrote:

After the September 2001 incident on the twin towers, racism has taken another turn.

I agree, the post 9/11 world and the serial wars that have come of it have made the world a much more polarized place. Once/if the wars ever end and the events become a part of forgotten history, things will change -- hopefully for the better.

btw - i love your profile line, "to help make this country a better place someday" :)

I believe racism is one of our world's major problems and ppl need to be educated right from their childhood against this ... I personally feel that this is worst than Aids......

Black, white, yellow it doesn't matter what colour you are. People are people, simple.
I am white, if everybody on this planet was white life would very boring indeed. As for multi-race unions such as marriage and partnerships, I fully support it, who cares what other people think? You only get one short life on this planet, you must do what makes you happy.

kiwiinkorea wrote:

Black, white, yellow it doesn't matter what colour you are. People are people, simple.
I am white, if everybody on this planet was white life would very boring indeed. As for multi-race unions such as marriage and partnerships, I fully support it, who cares what other people think? You only get one short life on this planet, you must do what makes you happy.

I like it !

Racism is quite a hot topic at the moment in Austria. Our country is often blamed for being very racist.
In my opinion, this statement is way to vague, the word racism is a very strong word and I would not really use it for the situation in Austria.

First of all, I think, somehow, our world image gets influenced by the media a lot. And this may lead to a certain process:

1. You read in the newspaper "The turk Murat B. (26) robbed a bank. "
Some newspapers automatically add that this man is a foreigner, which is not really relevant in my opinion.

2. You hear people talking about somebody they don't like and if he/she is a foreigner they tend to stress this fact.

3. And then you may also get in conflict with a foreigner and without taking a closer look at the circumstances you might then also blame it on the fact that he/she is not from your country.

And there is another thing that often appears when I talk to Austrians/Germans about the topic racism:

Somehow we praise the Americans, their culture, their way of life, we think that people from France, Norway, Sweden, Great Britain are very smart and kind and somehow, for no reason, we have much more prejudices against people from the Czech Republic, Croatia, Turkey,...

And that's something that everybody should be aware of. We are all equal - no matter from which country, no matter which language - we are all people.

Another very nice statement (by Lady Gaga ;-) )

I'm beautiful in my way 'cause God makes no mistakes. I'm on the right track, baby I was born this way

Corinna

Racism is such a disease. Best way to describe it. I've been in countries where i felt racism directed towards myself and my family and it's just the most senseless, uneducated, and idiotic thing in a world like we have today. There are people of all races and cultures all over the world, people need to take in the richness of such a beautiful thing, and stop fighting it, and being so negative.

Succeed in your expat family project with advice from other expats

OR