3 Main Concerns of Relocating to Belize

Wow! Have been and back - a quick trip. We were unable to come by secondary to issues with real estate agent, or lack thereof, but we will probably be back mid-October.
Gorgeous place - I would seriously say almost as majestic and scenic as Hawaii. Wonderful trip and experience! Much better than what I had anticipated based on comments here and elsewhere. Met lots of great people and great contacts! Very exciting experience for us. Worst part was attitude/demeanor of government employees, though I didn't even attempt the medical licensing/Ministry of Health aspect.
You can email me outside of this forum it you would like to discuss. :top:
Can't wait to go back.

Hi Karenjoe
Nice to see some positive comments

We've owned our condo on Ambergris Caye for a few months now.  We came down this month for a couple weeks and took a few days to visit the San Ignacio area.  What a great trip and experience. 
We found a great place just out of town,   Vanilla Hills Lodge.....close enough to town, but secluded, quiet and great little cottages.  Visited the ruins, markets and restaurants in town.

Although the mainland is totally different from Ambergris, we loved it.....the people were so friendly and welcoming, the area was gorgeous and peaceful.

Looking forward to exploring other parts of the mainland next month.

Loving Belize!!!

I just found out Belize is the current  2nd most popular Caribbean destination for tourists. There must be something right about Belize for tourists to like her

Hey. We spent 4 days in the San Ignacio, Santa Elena region and had a really wonderful experience. Saw several beautiful properties and going back to look at more property in a couple months.   :)

The owners at Vanilla Hills Lodge had some great info on how they got started in the area.... Moved from Germany I think.  Purchased the property, cleared the land and started the lodge, still expanding and it's fabulous.
Great place to check out if you are in the area.

We are definitely going back to visit the other ruins in the area.  There seemed to be so many interesting sites.  We did drive up to Spanish Lookout and the mennonite community.  Very interesting as well.
Can't wait to return!

We originally hadn't planned to do much in the way of ruins because of scheduling, but we ended up spending 1 1/2 days going to Xunantunich, El Pilar and Cahal Pech, all different, amazing and interesting sites. We will revisit each I am sure multiple times in the future, as well as Tikal, etc. Fascinating and one of the drawing  points of Belize in general for us.

1. Personal safety of family, self, and property(stand alone property unless have somebody living there in your absense likely to get broken into and stripped)
2. High cost of electricity
3. Exit strategy if doesn't go as planned -- real estate can be really illiquid and can take years to sell. I know of properties that have been for sale for 10 years since we 1st started going there.

Medical

Health care, security, finding quality builders

Hey there,
Just wanted to voice a few concerns and calm some of the fears a few of the responders have brought up about relocating to Belize:  We have 40 acres with horses and a house currently being built near Gales Point.

Location - You first should explore the different and very distinct geographical areas of Belize before jumping in and relocating - do you like the beach, island/Cayes, jungle, savannah?  Do you want a community or isolation or the city?  As in any city - Belmopan, San Ignacio, and especially Belize City will have issues with crime.  Most of the headlines are of drug gangs in Corozal and Belize City fighting it out between themselves - just as in the US, Canada, and the UK.  Most of the crime to be concerned with looting of property as this is a very poor country and most looting is "opportunistic" and just keeping things locked up or if isolated with property - a full-time handy-man on site will stave off most looting.theft.  You also hear a lot of news concerning migrant farm workers getting into fights that can escalate to machete duels (everyone in Belize has a machete - kind of like the local Swiss Army knife down there).

Infrastructure - Electricity is mainly available only in the medium to large towns/cities.  Even then - it is very expensive.  Solar power is a much better alternative and most are off-grid.  These systems are way less expensive and much more efficient and reliable than being on the grid.  Internet is spotty where you can get it - consider satellite for TV and Internet.  Cell service is pretty reliable, but you won't get 4G coverage - 3G in some metropolitan areas, but there is no "blanket" coverage throughout the country - at least yet ; )  for us - the main problem is the roads in the mainland.  the major highways (Northern, Western, Hummingbird, and Southern) are fully paved and except for the occasional pothole and infamous "pedestrian ramp" - fine for travel.  the Southern Hwy is the best by far and I would even open up a motorcycle on this section as it is very smooth and wide.  As I write this - the main road into Hopkins village is being paved and a God send.  Supposedly plans are in the works for paving the Coastal Rd.  When this happens - I think there will be a lot more development in southern Belize and around the southern lagoon.  Some areas will flood out during heavy rains during the rainy season (June - Nov), but generally the roads and bridges are okay.  For us and our 40 acres - solar power, septic system, rain catch with large cistern, satellite TV/Internet and cell are all that is needed.

Health - you can get private "global" health insurance for less than $200/month and this will get you private clinic access and also med-e vac back stateside for major issues (cardiac, cancer, etc).  The biggest concern is trauma, fire, police - there is no emergency 911 and response can be very slow if available at all depending on where you live.  Think of the old homestead days - depend on self-sufficiency and kindness of your neighbors and friends as they depend on you.  Being a kind neighbor is the best way to stay safe and secure.  Give locals rides as many do not have vehicles and have to hitchhike to get to and from work.  A kind act goes a long way for good stewardship.  Never lose fact that even when residing there - we are still "visitors" to their country.  Being unkind or cruel, or even apathetic can bring on the wrath of locals in the village as word gets around.  Everyone we have met in Belize over these past 4 years have been very kind and extremely polite. 
Also - food - you will learn to eat fresh fruits and veggies, rice.  Pork and Chicken are abundant and very fresh.  The beef isn't the best, but is getting better.  Just pay special attention to the expiration dates on dry goods - especially when shopping in the remote small markets run by the Chinese.  I think they get deals on expired goods and then put them on the shelf.  They are always good about returning them though ; )

Travel - flights to just about anywhere in the US from Belize City run between $650 - $900 round-trip.  High-end during the winter and lower in the summer and early rainy season.  You can fly to just about any area of Belize from Belize City for around $150 - $200 round-trip via Tropic Air or Mayan Air.  I think you can fly direct to Miami, Atlanta, LA, and Houston from the big BC.  There may be more depending on the season.
I hope this helps and good luck : )

Where are you looking to purchase?  We had 3 years of dealing with agents down there and have learned a lot.  Maybe we can help ; )
Jeff and Nicole

JVR-
  Thanks for that wealth of information. You've answered many of my concerns and unease about moving ahead with plans to move to Belize. I'm making my first trip during the next spring break, any suggestions for which cities or area's to visit for someone who likes to scuba dive and be around the water?

If you are a water and scuba person, the only places you'll want to seriously check out are Ambergris Caye (San Pedro) and Caye Caulker.  Placencia is nice too, but you're much farther from the reef there.  Ambergris Caye is busier but has more services, stores, and more going on.  Caye Caulker is smaller, much more laid back, but may be too "slow" for some folks. A lot more dive services on Ambergris Caye as well.  The biggest drawback of Ambergris Caye we found were the higher prices (it's an island, so that's typical) and the hoards of tourists during high season (Christmas through Easter).  Other than that, it has a lot of "good" to offer.  You definitely need to check it out!

No problem and it is my pleasure!
Anyway - for diving - the reefs are accessible from just about any of the diving spots on the mainland, but the boat ride can be long and if there is chop - quite bumpy.  The best mainland resort and dive spots are Hopkins Village and Placencia.  Either have nice resorts (Hopkins has very nice boutique resorts - some with villas that can be quite lush).
If you want the total dive experience - stay out in the Cayes (Ambergris Caye, Turneffee, etc) as these are either on or near the reefs, some have shore diving, and access to the famous Blue Hole.  You are on a Caye/Island so unless you take a water taxi or flight back to the mainland - you wont be able to visit Mayan ruins, explore the Jungles, go to the markets, swim in pristine water falls, etc.  There is also a Liveaboard boat - the Belzie Explorer - I think.  We did a live aboard in Palau several years ago and it was fantastic - haven't had the chance for the Belize boat yet.
As far as when to go - it is best in the early dry season - Jan - Mar.  Starting in May - it can get hot and believe it or not - it gets hotter in the northern sections of Belize than it does down south - but it is still warm and hu.mid in May through July.  the rainy season is late summer through November with November generally being the wettest month.  The further south you go - the rainy season starts earlier and lasts a bit longer.  Placencia is about as far south as I would go if you want to dive.
Also - in March after the full moons is the best time for Whale Shark trips - these are magical and Belize is one of the few places where you can scuba with these beautiful creatures.  These trips fill up fast so don't delay and as always in diving - nothing is guaranteed.  My favorite sea life that we routinely see in Belize is the Loggerhead Turtles.  The first time I saw one was unbelievable.  They are so huge and their heads are enormous!  Puts the green sea turtle to shame.  Down in Placencia - on the outer reefs - sometimes there are fishermen that live on boats for a week or more and you can purchase lobster, scallops, fish, etc right off the boat!.  Another fun thing is to snorkel under the process boat and watch the tons of rays, turtles, fish, etc feast on the remains of the fish processing. 
Another thing that many of the dive shops do is they will let you borrow a sling-spear and hunt Lion Fish while on the dive.  They typically only allow experienced divers have these and limit the amount to a few per group.  I don;t mind the hunting and gathering of these predators, but I am less enthused about them feeding the Lion Fish to the Groupers.  I think they are best used to sell to local restaurants that have created many tasty Lion Fish dishes.
The Blue Hole is okay if you just want the experience and the tee-shirt.  Not much to see, but a cool "I've done that" story at the dive bar : )
I hope this helps you out and have fun!  Send pics of you dive trip and let us know about your experience!

My wife's main concerns are health care, finding a decent hairdresser, and the change in culture.
We want to be near a beach but am wondering if Ambergris Caye won't be overcrowded during the tourist season. Are there alternatives where we can find a reasonably priced 2 bedroom condo within walking or bicycling distance of the beach? We will probably purchase a boat, so will need docking arrangements etc. . Also we will probably be coming down during the off season to find out for sure if we want to make the move and look for a condo. Are there reasonably priced apartments we can rent for a month or so?
Thank you in advance for any advice you can give us.

jimmielee68 wrote:

My wife's main concerns are health care, finding a decent hairdresser, and the change in culture.
We want to be near a beach but am wondering if Ambergris Caye won't be overcrowded during the tourist season. Are there alternatives where we can find a reasonably priced 2 bedroom condo within walking or bicycling distance of the beach? We will probably purchase a boat, so will need docking arrangements etc. . Also we will probably be coming down during the off season to find out for sure if we want to make the move and look for a condo. Are there reasonably priced apartments we can rent for a month or so?
Thank you in advance for any advice you can give us.

Ambergris Caye is definitely going to have the best selection of condos near or on the beach.  There just aren't that many condos available in either Caye Caulker (no real beach there either) or Placencia/Maya Beach (nice beach but not all that many condos). 

Since you're concerned about possible over-crowding in high season, I'd recommend going down then rather than during off-season, at least for your first visit.  Then you'll see AC at its busiest and decide if that is going to bother you.  February and around Easter are busy times and would give you a good idea of what it's like at "peak" time.

Then, if you decided you liked it, you could go down for a longer period during the off season and rent a condo long-term (6-12 months).  As one who bought a condo before renting first, I'd highly recommend you rent first to make sure you are going to like it there full-time and long-term.  If you buy a place based on only a short vacation, you may end up "stuck" later if it doesn't work out.  It's much easier to buy condos there than to sell them (same as just about anywhere, I'd wager).  We definitely learned that renting gives you much more flexibility, and if you still like it and want to stay permanently after your rental period, there's always time to buy!

Thanks so much for all the helpful info.

While it is true that Placencia is not as built up as Amerbergris or Caye Caulker (an attractive feature for many), there are some nice condo developments.  Several have boat docking facilities.

Thanks, we will check it out. We would prefer not to have a car when we relocate. Is this practical in Placencia?

You don't need a car in Placencia.  The village is very walkable. if you want to head farther up the penisula, a bike or golf cart will serve you just fine.  Like anywhere else in Belize, if you want to go farther afield, your three choices are bus, car or fly.

jimmielee68 wrote:

Thanks, we will check it out. We would prefer not to have a car when we relocate. Is this practical in Placencia?

That depends.  If you are in the village proper, you can walk or bike everywhere.  If you are up in Maya Beach, which a lot of expats seem to like, it's a nice bike ride to Placencia Village (too far to walk), but that all depends on how much you like to ride bikes.  It's totally flat, but something like 7-8 miles one way, if memory serves.  I am sure someone will correct me if I am way off.

I love Placencia for visiting but am not sure I'd want to live there, certainly not full-time.  We found it to be incredibly rainy (gets over double the amount of rain as San Pedro in a year, on average), lots of sand flies even well off the beach, and very hot/humid most of the year.  It's a long boat ride to the reef if you like to dive/snorkel.  A friend who used to live there moved to Cozumel and is enjoying the weather much more.  Just something to keep in mind.  Make sure to visit and/or rent at different times of years before buying!

CaribeGal wrote:
jimmielee68 wrote:

That depends.  If you are in the village proper, you can walk or bike everywhere.  If you are up in Maya Beach, which a lot of expats seem to like, it's a nice bike ride to Placencia Village (too far to walk), but that all depends on how much you like to ride bikes.  It's totally flat, but something like 7-8 miles one way, if memory serves.  I am sure someone will correct me if I am way off.

I love Placencia for visiting but am not sure I'd want to live there, certainly not full-time.  We found it to be incredibly rainy (gets over double the amount of rain as San Pedro in a year, on average), lots of sand flies even well off the beach, and very hot/humid most of the year.  It's a long boat ride to the reef if you like to dive/snorkel.  A friend who used to live there moved to Cozumel and is enjoying the weather much more.  Just something to keep in mind.  Make sure to visit and/or rent at different times of years before buying!

That about leaves A C or Cozumel as our choices and thanks for narrowing it down for us.  We are more beach and boating people so diving and snorkeling aren't great concerns .
We just are just putting our home on the market here so depends on when it sells as to when we can come down to stay awhile and check out what is right for us. Appreciate all the helpful info. so far.

The road into Hopkins is about 4.5 miles long, and is not finished after 19 months! Paving the Coastal Road is a great idea and would help many existing businesses in the southern areas as well as opening up more of the country for development.  But how long would it take?

Getting Residency Status
Money
Finding a job