Where would I buy and would not buy a property in Quito

After a few years in Ecuador, mostly Quito, here are some places I'd recommend for an average newcomer-expat to consider for buying a property. From most recommended down. Only my opinion, no offense intended.
- Quito Tenis. A nice little upper class area in the North of Quito with a few embassy's residencies. Conveniently located, close to CC Bosque Shopping Center, La Occidental highway, 5 min driving to the Financial Center. Not enclosed, but with security guards at every buiding, I'd say it is one of the few places in Ecuador where you can walk around at night. Prices for new condos from $1200/sq. meter and a little up.
- Bosque. Charming location, almost all properties have a breathtaking view to the north of the city. Eucaliptus forest right behind or around many buildings. Conveniently located right on La Occidental highway, a few minutes walk to the CC Bosque shopping center. You can walk around at night, but not far: almost borders some city's troubled areas. Prices for new condos from $1000/sq. meter.
- Av. República Salvador, between Naciones Unidas and Portugal. On this short, about 1500 feet street, you almost forget you are in the 3dr world. All new condos, charming restaurants and bars. Walking distance to Quicentro and CCI shopping centers, all major banks, Megamaxi. On this street only, it is probably safe to walk at night. Prices for new condos from $1000/sq. meter.
- Cumbaya. A pleasant Quito suburb. Some parts remind me of Long Island, NY (maybe not Hamptons, but nice, clean feel). Nice climate: dryer and warmer than Quito. On my opinion: car is a must if you live there. Only 10-15 min to Quito, but all major banks and stores are right there. Prices are high, as this area historically houses Ecuadorian upper class.
- Around Parque Carolina. Very convenient location. Parque Carolina is a wonderful place (should be avoided after dark). Walking distance to many stores and banks. Many new condos. Prices from around $1000/sq. meter.
- Batan. Another nice area in North-East Quito. Some enclosed residential areas. Batan Alto borders eucaliptus forest of Parque Metropolitano. I'd recommend to have a car living there. Relatively short drive to major shopping spots. Condo prices start from $800/sq. meter.
I would definitely NOT buy:
- Anywhere in Quito South;
- Anywhere in extreme north of Quito.
- Anything that costs $60K or less. I need to explain this... If an Ecuadorian buys a property that costs $60K or less these days, the government gives $5K toward the purchase, so the buyer has to come up with only $55K (if the property costs $60K). For $60K you can easy find a seemingly decent property in Ecuador, however your neighbours would be those who took advantage of the $5K gift, in other words: low-middle or low class. This kind of confused prices: cheap real estate now costs up to $5K more... Many reputable luxury property builders purposefully keep their prices at $65K or more in order NOT to attract low class buyers. 
Confusing? I'll explain further if needed, just ask.

Hi Mango7 :)

Thanks you for your contribution.

May be you can also participate in the guide section as well, by contributing in writing useful guides for expatriates.

Keep that spirit by participating and contributing :) in the forums! ;)

Warm Regards!

It is all very subjective.

I bought condo in Centro Historico(on your definition - South), near La Ronda, lived there for two years and now I rent it pretty succesfully (for admins - this is not an ad, I am just making my point)
and in June this year we bought condo far North - near El Condado, Aqua Clara area, we are very happy here.
According to you we shoudnt do both. It is soooo good I don't listen to people "who know"
Both properties cost less then $60K and my neigbors
in Centro Historico and here at Aqua Clara are nice, friendly ecuatorian people.

My friends bought condo for $50K(Poncel-no Alto) - nice neighbors/area, middle class, another friends live in $60K townhouse- the same area, and they are people with good income, small business owners.
I know middle class people, russians and ecuadorians who live extreme North (Carcelen and farther away north), they are happy where they live, spent much less then $60K for their houses.

Your info is very snobbish and strange.

I agree.. of course it is all very subjective and relative. I said: no offense intended, and you obviously are being offended... We, you and me, just have a little different perception of what is comfortable and nice, that's OK.
Forget about the price, are you saying you would not live in Quito Tenis?
It also depends on your budget. I am sure there are friendly people in the south of Quito or in Carcelen too. But I would not live there, that's all I am saying.

It is not about "you and me, just have a little different perception"
here what you said - "here are some places I'd recommend for an average newcomer-expat to consider for buying a property."
We (my husband and I) are average expats, we could afford to live in Quito Tenis, Tumbaco and other areas you mention,
but we choose not to.
Bottom line is - your recommendations are misleading for the average expat, if I would listen to your opinion it would be damaging for my finances: instead of 1) comfortable, brand new condo at Aqua Clara, near El Condado shopping mall  and 2)rental near La Ronda and more rentals to be bought eventially to create cash flow - we would be living in expensive (more then $60K)place. Why? what the point? ....besides having snobbish neighbors.

I stand corrected, "average expat except you." I said: my opinion. Express yours instead of contradicting mine!
Listen, I don't want argue with you anymore, coz our perceptions are obviously different. If you see, say Quito Tenis and Aqua Clara or Ponciano Alto, and decide not to live in Quito Tenis... well, God bless you!!! I'll go back to Florida before I even think about living in Ponceano Alto or Carcelen or as a matter of fact in your Agua Clara.
What you buy for cash flow is a completely different subject.
Have a good life, dear.

Wow!!! tens of thousand middle class people who live in Ponceano Alto or Carcelen or as a matter of fact in my Agua Clara,
including norteamericanos living at El Condado condos, ecuadorians, russians VS Mango7, who knows it all better than anybody!!!

I didn't say I wanted to live among middle class...

when I was buying property in Minneapolis suburbs some people was telling me - house without kitchen island not even worth considering. Hah, now some of them are thrown from their kitchen islands houses by bankrupcy and have to rent my humble, no kitchen island condo in Hopkins MN
When "average newcomer-expat to consider for buying a property
in Quito Tenis", it is may be good idea to use your own brain, and think if US goverment cannot pay your retirment anymore and your mutual funds balance is way down - where would you go from your Quito Tenis expensive condo, average expat?
I am not taking about Mango7, I am talking about average expat.

Listen, LiliyaBykova, calm down already... The important thing is that you are happy in your aqua clara or ponciano.
Let the people decide: let them look at my Quito Tenis or Bosque condos and at your ponciano, and see what they say.
I actually keep thinking that I am the average expat type, I know 8 more US expats that share my opinion, the ones who when saw your Carcelen from far away didn't even want to see what's upclose, because no matter what kind of castle you build there, what you see (and smell) when you step out of your front door is important for us. But... that's not you and you are the majority (you always are, I know)...
Yea, you've got me right, I'm one of those: I lost so much in the last 3 years that *&^^%^*&%^$R%&^^&*^&$^&$#$% there are no nice words to describe what I feel... but no way in hell I'd move from Naples, Fl to the areas that you promote.
No offense, as always.

I promote nothing, happy with my ecuadorian, middle class surrounding -no need for snobs in my area, so you are safe in your Quito Tennis.
I guess next stop for you will be in Quito south, renting room from me on your last money.

You need serious tranquilizers, big girl...
Let me know if it does not pass, I'll hook you up...
Coz... your happiness is everything to me...

and it all started so innocent, so "useful" -

do and don't in Ecuador
where to buy property
security in Ecuador
Cultural differences

and ended up
You need serious tranquilizers, big girl...
Let me know if it does not pass, I'll hook you up...
Coz... your happiness is everything to me...

average expat except you...

Have a good life, dear.

I didn't say I wanted to live among middle class...

Yea, you've got me right, I'm one of those: I lost so much in the last 3 years that *&^^%^*&%^$R%&^^&*^&$^&$#$% there are no nice words to describe what I feel...
end of quote

No offense, as always and please, calm down already...

PPS My cleaning lady lives in Ponciano Alto, and she loves it too... I guess...

[moderated: no provocation please]

Please give ea. other a big  hug and a kiss. Make up already plz. I bet if you two donŽt have anything else  to say you do deserve to live exactly where you are".

Dude, the topic was finished more than 3 months ago, but gotta give it to you: absolutely right. Yea, yea, we made out already.

I think you hit on the spot except now in 2014 prices have increased. La Carolina still remains one of the most preferred places to live in Quito. It is attractive because of being relatively close to banks, malls and financial district of the city.

I will soon have 4 condos in Quito. Three if them are currently located in the Carolina Park area. Planning on moving for good in a couple of years if everything goes as planned.

Message deleted.

Very old thread, but just for the record, I rented an apartment from Liliya in Centro Historico, very near La Ronda, for a couple months. It was very nice and Liliya was an excellent landlady.

Later, I rented a condo near La Carolina, about a km or so north of the park, and enjoyed it as well.

Certainly the latter was a more upscale neighborhood and had much better shopping (easy walking distance to Quicentro and the Supermaxi on 6 de Diciembre), but Centro Historico had cultural opportunities I enjoyed.

Both were nice -- it depends on what is more important to each of us.

@Katsarowa

hello and welcome !

Sorry to hear about that.

just to inform you that you are replying to an old post. That member has not been active for the past 7 years.

Feel free to participate on more recent threads of the Ecuador forum.

Regards

Bhavna

[Closing this old thread]

Closed