New members of the Belize forum, introduce yourself here – 2016

Hi all,

Newbie on the Belize forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Belize if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

PD : The thread New members of the Belize forum, introduce yourself here – 4th quarter of 2015 continues below!

Hello!

Hubs and I have been talking about retiring in BZ for decades and have recently been looking for a lot in Stann Creek.  Exciting times! We put in an offer on one this morning and await good news *fingers crossed*. The thought of never seeing snow again is a happy one!

There's the short story. Searching the 'net for surveyors, excavators, builders, etc. led me to this community for expats. We are GREEN, have never lived abroad (but travel worldwide), and sometimes the fear outweighs the excitement.  Hoping to make connections and read tons of helpful advice here.

Cheers to all,

Veronica

Hi Veronica
My husband.Mike and I came to Sittee Point in December for 6 months to have a look around Belize. We have managed to buy an older pick up to get us around as you will have seen the roads are not so great.
Where in Stann Creek are you going to be living?
I like you was a little frightened of living here rather than holidaying if I can help you with.anything  just.ask.
This is my 1st time living abroad but my husband has lived overseas most of his life but not Central America.
Hope all your plans go welll
Regards
Lynn

Thank you,  Lynn! I guess we'll be living wherever we manage to find property we like.  Lol I love Hopkins and Sittee, but have always had a good vibe in Placencia. And farther inland would suit me if the view was nice.  I'm not set on anywhere in particular. 

So,  have your expectations so far been met? Exceeded? ;)

Hi Veronica
Some have it was a bit hard at the beginning as we didn't have any transport but better now we have. Things are not easy to buy as in the Uk.
We love Placencia and travel once a week to shop there. We have found a lovely bakers, and a nice supermarket so we have lunch and then shop making a day of it.
I will keep in touch if you like and keep you up to date with life in Belize. By the way where are you from?
Regards
Lynn x

I am in Alberta,  Canada.  I'd love to be kept up on happenings. I don't know how we'd fare without a car if we were too far outside of town, either. Glad to hear it's working out for you so far.

Thanks again for the welcome here.  :)

You are welcome. I am from the North of.England originally but my home is nownin then.south west (Somerset).
We holidayed here in July and.stayed in.the centre of Hopkins at Coconut Row and decided in our retirement years to have a look around at various places and Belize seemed a good place to start. Where did you.stay?
I imagine Alberta to be lovely Somerset is but cold in.the winter.
You.say you have travelled a lot anywhere intetesting?
It's like 20 questions but it's a way of getting to know people
Take care
Lynn.x

When you said "Somerset" my mind went immediately to my favourite place on the planet, Western Cape, South Africa. We've been all over Central America,  Mexico,  Caribbean,  and Hawaii, too. Anywhere warm is good withme.  It's been -20C this week.  This coming fall, maybe South America,  depending on if we get land in Belize or not.

When we were in Hopkins last year,  we stayed at a condo at the very north tip, Seiri del Mar. It really was a heavenly vacation. So relaxing,  beautiful, quiet. Sunrises . . .can't beat the Belizean sunrises.

What prompted you to visit Belize in the first place?  Do you dive? Have you seen much of the country?  We took an insane drive up to Caracol, such a highlight. Lol Have you seen much wildlife?

I don't mind twenty questions, as you can tell.

Have a super night,
Veronica

Good morning Veronica
My word you have travelled a lot. The reason we came to Belize is we had read an article on Belize in International living saying it was a good place for retirees. Mike wanted to live abroad so we decided to take a look at Belize which we did last July.
I was a little shocked at the poverty at first when i arrived but soon got past that when i met some of the people.
We did like you and joined the Expat.com and found out a little bit more about Sittee Point as we had arranged a house rental there.
We have been to a few places, San ignacio,Spanish lookout,Placencia,Punta Gorda and we are hoping to travel to Corozal and maybe go into Cheutmal.Mexico to do.some shopping as choice is very limited here especially clothes.
Was it Hopkins Bay you stayed at we had a walk along the beach a couple of times to have a look at there. When were you there? We haven't done any of the touristy things yet but we will do once we have finished exploring the country.
We don't dive do you? One of the places i want to see is Ambgeris Quay it looks very pretty. Do you know much about Belize i thought we did but we have found out much more in the last 8 weeks living here ( learning to live rather than holidaying) all good fun Veronica.
Have a good day
Love
Lynn x

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : Post removed - asked by the initiator

Hi, Carmelle and I are going to comedown with the intentions of findind long term lease in the Hopkins area in June. We are from Britisn Columbia . I am an  NCSO in the northern Alberta oilfields ,,,, tired of the cold ,,, time for a rest,, any ideas of rental or lease on a small place ??? thanks for any help ... Dale

Hi Dale
We are currently renting our house in Sitee Point from Mirko of Like Homes he is based in Hopkins village he may be able to help
Regards
Lynn

Hi everybody,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

I am not sure that you understood the real purpose of this thread.
Actually, it is a space given to members to introduce themselves only, it is not the kind of thread where you are suppose to talk to each other.

In case that you have some questions to ask or if you wish to interact with other members, please create your own thread , so as not to be off topic here. ;)

Thank you,

Priscilla

----------

@ Weston > Please read the code of conduct, for housing offers you are required to post in the housing section only. Thanks :)

----------

I am Linda in Thousand Oaks California [Moderated]

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please drop an advert in the housing section
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Good morning all! :D

Brandon and myself moved to Belize on the 26th February 2016 so VERY NEW to this area and type of lifestyle!

We are currently working off an nearby island, Turneffe Atoll, and tomorrow will be our first official day in Belize City so excited to see it!

Would love to touch base with other expats and just chat per e-mail to get to know more about this city :-)

Regards,
Brandon & Bernie

Hello there,  my name is Cathy and I am looking to move to Belize.  I would like a quiet, coastal area, if I had my choice, but we shall see!   I have never been to Belize but it looks beautiful.  I am hoping to find a job as a private nurse.  I would love to work in exchange for room and board possibly for the right family in the right location.  I am very eager to move but might wait to 2017 so I can complete my RN (I am an LPN now).  I am 49, and very active and outgoing.  Looking forward to this big change and meeting lots of new people :).

You may want to check out Hillside Clinic outside of Punta Gorda. Religious run.

Hello Cathy. It is difficult to get employment in Belize, even as a medical professional. You might want to read some of the earlier threads on this topic before you rely on getting a job there in nursing; It also takes some time to get any type of license in Belize. Not to say it is insurmountable, but I would research it heavily before 'taking the plunge'.
Good luck in your endeavors.

My wife and I are coming down to Hopkins for our 35th anniversary.We bought an ocean lot there and will be checking it over.We will be there May 19th to May 26th.It will be my 3rd trip and her 4th.Looking forward to building and retiring here in a few years.

Sounds great, a really nice area, friendly people, some really good local restaurants, great water access at Sittee River Marina- and a nice little bar. Hope you enjoy your trip!

Penny & Gene from Savannah, Georgia.  Planning to retire in 2018.  Making our first exploratory trip to Belize this November.

Penny & Gene;
Welcome to the Belize forum. Let us know how we can help. You will find a wide variety of answers (based on individual experiences) to any question you might have. Feel free to ask here, or click on my profile picture and private message me if I can be of assistance.

hi all. like everyone else my wife and myself and our 2 children are seriously looking at moving to Belize in the next year. we have done a pretty amount of research on the area etc. we have never lived abroad so its exciting and nervous times. we currently reside in South Africa and would like to know if there is any South Africans or anyone else on this site who would be willing to give some advice with regards to the final move. we have researched the costs etc but wanting to find out more with regards to work availability after the 6 months or setting up of a small business. well any advice from anyone would be appreciated.  secondly i have a daughter that would turn 18 during that first 6 months...would she still fall under as a family dependent or would she have to do a separate application etc. thanking all in advance. Jerome and Carol .

Hi everyone,
Lovely seeing the introductions and it's great to see so many people on this journey. Myself & my husband have been researching to set up our base in Belize for a while. Wer originally from England but have been travelling around for almost two years now in search of our corner in the world. So far Belize is the best one in terms of living as a young family and setting up a business as well. We have our own Eco friendly sustainable building company and have worked in the U.S. UK and a few countries in Africa. We have decided wel be moving to Belize early 2017. Any help or advice wether it's general or work related will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance :)

My husband and I are looking to relocate to Belize from the US.  We'll be initially checking out Corazol and Placencia but other areas as well.  The information and help from people on this forum has been fantastic.  Thanks to everyone who contributes. :)

San Ignacio in the Cayo district is beautiful, rivers, hills, a lot of different cultures, a wonderful saturday market, shopping at the extensive Mennonites village called Spanish Lock out

Or, on the other side of the border, from Corozal, Chetumal. I have my property for sale.***.
Once sold probably, I will move to San Ignacio.
I have experienced that all foreigners living in Corozal come and shop in Chetumal.
I find that a little complicated.  Better live in Chetumal Mexico or in Belize other places than Corozal.
Just my opinion.  I am old, travelled and lived on many continents. Having been retired 10 years in Chetumal with family in Belize.
Cheers

Moderated by Priscilla 7 years ago
Reason : Please post your offer in the housing section + do not post personal contact details on the forum

Keep in touch.  With my husband we live in Chetumal, Mexico.
France Launia

Moderated by Christine 7 years ago
Reason : i invite you to post your ad in the housing section. Thank you

I was in Chetumel  Mexico at the end of last month, I was returning from Belize after a month. I My flight was out off Chetumel, I spent the night, and loved it.

Ruth

Hi,

I moved here 6 weeks ago (from the UK) with my wife, 26 year old son and 24 year old daughter.
My wife is South African and the kids were born in SA, I lived in SA for 38 years, my parents emigrated when I was 7, so completed my schooling, national service etc in SA and consider it to be home, or used to Belize is definitely home.

If you want to email me on my private email address *** I will happily answer any questions you have, as we ourselves are new here we are most likely experiencing most of things that would be worrying you.

regards

Peter & Jenny

Moderated by kenjee 7 years ago
Reason : We invite you to share contact infos only in private please.

My husband is retrired and I am self employed and we are thinking about moving to Ambergiss Caye. I am a professional longarm quilter. Does anyone know what that is? Do people sew and make quilts in Belize or the islands? I have searched thru google and cannot find anything like that. I am sure with the weather being so warm people do not need quilts with the warm evenings. Any info that is sewing and or quilting related would be so helpful. Thanks!

I'm not sure that quilts are needed in Belize but I do sew. I have two sewing machines (one very very old and a newer one) as well as a server. I'm good but not a great seamstress. Are you looking for help or offering wasn't quite sure.

No. Just curious. It would be a fun way to meet people. I have been making quilts for years. and I love it. Just was wanting to see if people do any kind of sewing at all.

It is a good hobby/way to make a living. I find it challenging and relaxing and not necessarily at the same time   :)

You might find tourists that are interested in purchasing quilted bags and maybe clothing but blankets and throws might be harder to sell. Getting large items home in suitcases is harder. You might consider the cost of getting that machine into the country as well. But there is always Etsy or Ebay for selling. Shipping will be a little tougher because the cost of shipping from Belize is expensive. I use to do quilting and one idea that might work for you is approaching resorts and hotels and doing custom themed bed spreads for the rooms.

Ambergris Caye is not my first choice of places in Belize; I would suggest you spend a few months there and check out other areas. I thought I loved it too until I spent time in other parts, much more peaceful.
Good luck and happy quilting!

Thanks! I appreciate the info.

Hi everyone,

We are a mid 40s couple, looking forward to retirement in 4-5 years. I am very interested in retiring to this part of the world and enjoying life, working on getting my wife comfortable with the idea of living outside the states ( we are from Missouri ). I might have her talked into vacationing in Belize next year, and maybe piquing her interest, anyway, just wanted to say hello

fireman10535;
Hello and welcome to this forum. I find your introduction interesting as it reminds me of the start to our journey to Belize. This is not meant to be personal as I don't know you, your relationship, or circumstances at all. It is just me sharing my experience and observations since our move, for your information.

My wife was initially totally against moving out of Canada. She didn't even want to discuss it at first. She did eventually start asking me questions and eventually changed her mind and started to entertain the idea. After two years we both love Belize and agree it is everything we had hoped it would be and that we will probably ( you know,never say never) never move back.

I love my wife very much, but my initial response to her push back was anger and disappointment that she would not even discuss or entertain the idea. At first I wondered, how do I convince her? How I would change her to my way of thinking? As I continued to do my own online research on Costa Rica initially, it became eveident that many folks leave Central America between the one and two year mark. Many because they didn't do their research, or were not honest with themselves as a couple and one partner eventually insisted on leaving. Some even get divorced and only one leaves. I realized during my resaerch that your spouse should not be fooled, forced or tricked into making this move for those reasons. My plan then became to find out what her concerns were, and together we would research all of those together, one at a time, me with the understanding that she must decide for herself, and might never change her mind.

Often our concerns are as a result of unfounded preconceived notions that just aren't true. That research together will help dispel the myths. If there are still major setbacks, then for the sake of ones relationship, such a plan may not be the right one. I am glad that my wife (on her own) eventually realized that Belize was a good choice. It is her and I against the world in a new country, and that will be the case for you and your wife in the beginning as well. It is important for couples to start from a common place of both wanting the change, and working together to make it happen. I believe that when moving to a country like Belize where things are more likely to go wrong than right...................... sorry not wrong, but often not as you would plan to have them go. it is not a place for couples to come to find themselves again. It is important to come on the same page, with the same dream, as a cohesive unit that knows it is them against the world.

Hello,
Sandy and Ben here. We just recently purchase a beachfront lot up North @ Punta Azul. We have spoken with builders etc. and plan to build there in 3-4 years. We scour the internet constantly for information and things to prepare for. Our profile photos is or our land. It is gorgeous and most times we are excited and can't wait  to get there permanently. We plan to live there year round.
I think the North part of the island is beautiful , but I do worry a little bit about being so far up with very few others around. We are very near the defunkt Seuno del mar resort and the old Basil Jones shrimp pier if you are familiar with the area. We have lots of questions and some that only people that have experience on AC can answer. I look forward to your honest feedback and to making new friends before we arrive.

Hi Sandy and Ben, we have not yet made the move so there is little advice that we can offer, however, we look forward learning from you and your experiences. We hear that Island is very nice and wish you all the very best with your move and everything in between. Smooth building and all.

I am so happy for you! My husband and I are thinking of retiring there. The way the island is growing you probably will not be as isolated as it is now. My husband and are are going there Sept. 1st. Who did you buy your property from. Real Estate Agency?

Closed