Cafe havana ???

Female expat.  Are there any good places around Manila to Mbike?  Nothing hardcore/downhill, just normal trail riding like I used to do in Cali.

Don

I could suggest hmmm... North Super highway, ehehehee. Much better, plan going somewhere in North so that at least your time will not be wasted. Go to Pangasinan, visit the Hundred Islands.

I agree especially with one point you made.....i.e. that this stuff has been going on forever and it's not such a big deal.  There's a lot bigger sins than a girl getting paid for sex.  It's not nearly as bad as the corporate types that abuse underpaid workers, and corrupt politicians who keep entire neighborhoods from becoming more modern and prosperous....etc., etc.

I haven't been there yet but I really don't anticipate it being any big deal. Most salsa dancers, in the West anyway, are grown ups and shouldn't be shocked at seeing a girl trying to make a buck. I'm not saying I condone prostitution...because I don't.  But in most cases, she's making a sacrifice too (whether she realizes it or not).

If the music is any good...I'm up for it.  But I hear the music is just so-so. 

I'll find out soon.

Regards,
Art

dhnindc wrote:

Female expat.  Are there any good places around Manila to Mbike?  Nothing hardcore/downhill, just normal trail riding like I used to do in Cali.

Don

Im not sure in Metro Manila, if you drive further to Balagtas, Bulacan as your trailhead to Bustos Dam and back to Balagtas. You can always create a trail there, in fact, I saw other expats riding mtb in the area. Just check the weather before you go or you will be riding with muddy trail

wanderingsalsero wrote:

I'll find out soon.

Regards,
Art

I have yet to find out in 2 weeks time what's really going on in Cafe Havana and well update this thread accordingly..

Dont worry about the music, just request the DJ and he'll play it for ya. The Philippines don't really have a good hang-out place for salsa but there are quite a few who can dance salsa/latin..

Maybe you can open one latin/salsa club there.. its no wonder why cafe havana is such a hit.. its like "okay I'll settle for that music because there 's nowhere really to go to" if you know what I mean.

The Philippines is more of hip-hop and r&b culture for the younger generation. 60s, 50s and 40s love disco and retro. The 30s generation like me are crossovers who loves underground cuban music, techno, hiphop and r&B as well as retro... just no tango..

There are many Filipino Americans (men and women) who also hang out in Cafa Havana (Makati and Malate), Starbucks, Seattle and what not, and are not really intimidated by the working girls and working guys. Some of them even dance on the table.. not because they are drunk but these vacationeers just want to enjoy the place.

In 1998 I visited Olongapo, I thought that place was full of whores and men looking for action... but I was wrong. In fact I had a good time, and my group of gals got invited to join the upcoming Fiesta - lots of good food and drink and nice people.

If you dont show that you are a snob/snottie... people will show a little bit of their hospitality.

Thanks for advice on MTB. I was hoping to find somewhere more local, but guess will have to figure out how to drive out.

For Cafe H. I've only been once, IMO, it is full of hookers, but there is a decent crowd of locals as well. As long as the expat men behave (dont get too drunk or hit on girls w/boyfriends with them), dont see any issues. The dance floor is small and the band is decent, but still has a number of guys who are pretty good.

female_expat wrote:

I remember this place Cafe Havana, I passed by there few times and hang out alone, sipping my orange juice full of ice (coz its sticky hot n'humid and I dont drink alcohol).

My last visit was in late 2005, the place looked new and  I thought it's cool to hang out just to observe some people passing by and others who I think acting weird and over the top, you can hear the loud yankee accent and the cochney brit or aussie and the coolest thing was to listen to the latin music...

Anyway most of my ex-colleagues and friends in PH were western guys, plus I am a mountaineer and a mountain biker and therefore most members are definitely 'old school boys club'.

I noticed only one thing from these guys... all they told me was dont hang out there coz its a pickup joint and dont hang out here coz you are listening to our conversation and blah blah blah...

To be honest, the worse kind are actually the married men.. married men who were far away from their spouses or gfs, seem to be more sinful...seem to act more like a mice who likes to play when the cat is away..

There are so many kinds of women in the world. And if we define prostitution nowadays, the more modern definition is likely, that if a woman ask favour in agreement for the man's  pleasure..it is prostitution regardless of the act. 

So what do you call those executive women, who hang out in their client's bed, in exchange for securing a contract or boosting sales? Or an executive trying to climb the corporate ladder will do everything to just achieve that? What about those women, who go out with dirty old men? Do you really think the reason you hanging out with an old bf 2x or 3x the age, is love?  Some women probably do it out of love... but hey tell that to my grandpa...

I honestly thought young gals hanging out with old men are such an "eye sore"... .... unless the old guy is cute ..that may be an exception...

Maybe at the time when I hang out in Cafe Havana alone, those men probably thought Im prosti... but those men did not know what I was thinking about them..

I thought lousy old men who knows nothing but to spread "bad" things, but what the heck..its typical catholic country, 3rd world and hypocrite.. If you get these kinds of people in Italy and Spain.. dont be surprized that it exist in the Philippines..

Wherever you go - you get these kinds of women, be it at the cafes, bar, even in the mall. You even get these men and  women inside Universties... that's what is going on in the real world...

I dont condone these acts but at least these women are working for a living...and I think they deserve some respect if you may. These women are NOT beggars, free loaders and bludgers.

So many people there in PH who are accustomed to 'freebies'. I think these sorts are the worse kinds... but that's just me...

Let's not be judgmental... if you dont wanna be in a place where you feel threatened, scared or dont want to be stereotyped...then dont go out...

Or just go to the mountains, you get scenic views, keeps you fit and takes your stress away :)

cheers

well, i agree with you and i'm sure  people who posted their comments think the same way. I respected users opinion and observation about the place because it warns us ( female) specially foreign gals. No one is blaming those girls,It's their choise. We are scared,  that's why we never go to that area.

female_expat wrote:
dhnindc wrote:

Don

Im not sure in Metro Manila, if you drive further to Balagtas, Bulacan as your trailhead to Bustos Dam and back to Balagtas. You can always create a trail there, in fact, I saw other expats riding mtb in the area. Just check the weather before you go or you will be riding with muddy trail

most pinoy likes tagaytay. But if you really like metro manila area try San Mateo  the Rizal province. Located on the the western slopes TRY THIS LINK camperspoint.com/article.php3?id_article=280

wanderingsalsero wrote:

I agree especially with one point you made.....i.e. that this stuff has been going on forever and it's not such a big deal.  There's a lot bigger sins than a girl getting paid for sex.  It's not nearly as bad as the corporate types that abuse underpaid workers, and corrupt politicians who keep entire neighborhoods from becoming more modern and prosperous....etc., etc.

I haven't been there yet but I really don't anticipate it being any big deal. Most salsa dancers, in the West anyway, are grown ups and shouldn't be shocked at seeing a girl trying to make a buck. I'm not saying I condone prostitution...because I don't.  But in most cases, she's making a sacrifice too (whether she realizes it or not).

I'll find out soon.

Regards,
Art

Hello Art! It's La dolce Vita Salsa night tomorrow. The salsa fanatic sent me the invites

Well I was in Cafe Havana and pretty much can attest that the rumour is TRUE... music suck and its now infested with lots of hookers..

Will write more when I have more internet time..

I visit Seattle's Best which is next to club havana during daytime hours and its mostly students. It changes completely at night. There are a lot of nice restaurants just above on the 2nd level. 

I think Market Market is a more fun mall than greenbelt though.

(First time poster)
Well I am pretty shocked by what many of you said about Cafe Havana in Greenbelt. I was there in December with my pinay GF of 5 years and I enjoyed the food and the music and I didn't notice any prostitutes.

To mr wandering salsero, hope you found a safe home by this time. If you still havent, i suggest you stay at salcedo village rather than anywhere else in makati.    Thought of joining you guys in this discussion though im now based in toronto. I am a filipina but just moved here 2 years ago but if i visit manila, i would go to that greenbelt strip everyday. For me, that strip is still the safest spot in the city unless you give in to those hookers loitering around. Depends on the person on how strong he is. As a proof of my loyalty to that strip, i came across your conversation as i am googling cafe havana and breton. Im learning more salsa moves now that im in toronto though. Manila is a vibrant city - enjoy it not the 'girls'. Ciao!!

Hi Everyone,

As I was reading all your comments, I feel sad what happened to Greenbelt. I did noticed it a couple of months now since I'm back and new again in Makati. That place used to be nice where people from all walks of life loves to hang out, meetings, gatherings, get together, etc...

I'll try to reach the Management with this concerns.

JP

Every sexual relation is prostitution. That is why the fight to stamp it out is so hypocritical. The definition of prostitution is the exchange of something of value for sex (to put it in basic terms). Something of value is always traded for sex....whether it is money, shelter, clothing, or the emotional support of love and affection.

The real concern of those who advocate for the prosecution of prostitution is not sex in exchange for value, but rather fidelity.

World be Free wrote:
dame de trésor wrote:
babyjoycey wrote:

its a hookers-infested bar!

hmmm,you mean if I go there I might get the same impression? what if i go there with my rugged pants simple top and  flipflops or with my eye glasses on with nice and decent clothes?

Is  Havana really tagged with that bad impression? Too bad for a nice venue...

Well, then you'll look like a smart simple hooker in a tropical climate. J/K
Ok, here's why:
1.With so many hookers dining there, I woudn't drink off their glass ware, use their silver ware, eat off their plates. Who knows what kind off STD's these hookers have. Did I mention they could be carrying every hepatitis known in the alphabet........oh wait, did I mention the two most famous letters in the hospitals here,....T.B. Tuberculosis is can be transmitted airborne, with hookers having suppress and compromise immune systems.....well you get the point....a fruit salad of diseease sitting to your left and right. It's too bad that they started invading the Starbucks next door. Ok, I went a bit far, but I wanted to get my point across and believe me this is real.

2.On a more serious note. I was advised by locals who live in the Greenbelt area to stay away from this place because of the many foreigners frequenting this place, that it has become a security risk and possibly a target for those who want to ruin the public's way of life. (Remember the Glorietta explosion, no one really knows what happened there) I hate to say it but being an expat, I try to avoid places where too many foreigners hang out because of this risk. Be safe and be careful.

What a crock this is!! Like all those deseases are are strictly allocated to prostitutes. What a laugh. There are equally, if not more of the general population walking about with those deseases. I'd say you are wound up just a bit too tightly my friend.

Davo-oz wrote:

(First time poster)
Well I am pretty shocked by what many of you said about Cafe Havana in Greenbelt. I was there in December with my pinay GF of 5 years and I enjoyed the food and the music and I didn't notice any prostitutes.

And that is why you didn't notice anything...

are there any bisexual foreigners there?

wannahugyoutight wrote:

are there any bisexual foreigners there?

This isnt really the right place to be asking that. In my opinion anyway. Why dont you try a hookup site instead.

I agree.

Art

Hi wannahugyoutight,

this is a very clean and decent Blog to discuss the things in and around Philippines.

please respect the dignity.

Peace !!!

Hi all,

I think some posts this are going off-topic, can we please get back to the main stream of the initial topic.

Thanks you,

David.

On the subject of Latin bars/clubs/hangouts....I really think 'the market' is ready for some more dancing venues that play Bachata.  The latin places now play virtually NO Bachata.....which is really stupid because Bachata is actually even or even more popular than Salsa in lots of areas back in the US and elsewhere now.

The next thing, the next new dance, is going to be Kizomba (sorta a poor man's Tango....a really great dance (see lots of videos on YouTube).  It's getting really popular in the US now, it's been popular in Europe for several years.

What's happening is that dancers both men and women are getting tired of all the fake flash of Salsa and all the jumping around all night that serves no purpose other than getting so sweaty that no member of the opposite would want to be within arm's length of you...and they're really embracing (no pun intended) Bachata and Kizomba...two dances with all the creativity of Salsa but a lot more practical passion than average people can do...(Bachata is especially that way although Kizomba takes a little more skill).

I'm just continuously amazed that no business people see this glaring omission in the commercially available menue of Manila.  Especially in areas where there's a lot of call centers...those areas have cycles of potential patrons at least twice a day (with the shift changes at the call centers).  Somebody is missing a real money-maker by not setting up a club, having some free lessons, Ladies-Nights, Jack and Jill contests, etc.

Regards,
Art