Cafe havana ???

  • Page 1 / 2

#1 19 November 2010 08:22:30

dame de trésor
dame de trésor
Makati, Manila

Cafe havana ???

Cafe Havana is one of the  famous place in Makati (specially for foreign guys) But I wonder why my friends keep telling me not to  visit that place. Hmmm.. What's behind Havana? Yeah, my foreign and Local  friends told me never ever go there, They said It's not a safe place for Pinay like me to hang out in that place. Just curious.

Last edited by dame de trésor (19 November 2010 08:23:44)

#5 19 November 2010 16:06:57

dame de trésor
dame de trésor
Makati, Manila

Re: Cafe havana ???

davidoak wrote:

whoredom

I see :D Global promiscuity huh... Can you tell who  needs the bait and  how well the bait is presented? Well, I  like Cafe Breton but never had the chance to pass-by Havana or look at the people there. Perhaps, another concept of "stereotype"?

#7 20 November 2010 14:16:27

dame de trésor
dame de trésor
Makati, Manila

Re: Cafe havana ???

babyjoycey wrote:

its a hookers-infested bar!

hmmm,you mean if I go there I might get the same impression? what if i go there with my rugged pants simple top and  flipflops or with my eye glasses on with nice and decent clothes?

Is  Havana really tagged with that bad impression? Too bad for a nice venue...

#8 20 November 2010 16:21:54

World be Free
World be Free
Makati City

Re: Cafe havana ???

dame de trésor wrote:

babyjoycey wrote:

its a hookers-infested bar!

hmmm,you mean if I go there I might get the same impression? what if i go there with my rugged pants simple top and  flipflops or with my eye glasses on with nice and decent clothes?

Is  Havana really tagged with that bad impression? Too bad for a nice venue...

Well, then you'll look like a smart simple hooker in a tropical climate. J/K
Ok, here's why:
1.With so many hookers dining there, I woudn't drink off their glass ware, use their silver ware, eat off their plates. Who knows what kind off STD's these hookers have. Did I mention they could be carrying every hepatitis known in the alphabet........oh wait, did I mention the two most famous letters in the hospitals here,....T.B. Tuberculosis is can be transmitted airborne, with hookers having suppress and compromise immune systems.....well you get the point....a fruit salad of diseease sitting to your left and right. It's too bad that they started invading the Starbucks next door. Ok, I went a bit far, but I wanted to get my point across and believe me this is real.

2.On a more serious note. I was advised by locals who live in the Greenbelt area to stay away from this place because of the many foreigners frequenting this place, that it has become a security risk and possibly a target for those who want to ruin the public's way of life. (Remember the Glorietta explosion, no one really knows what happened there) I hate to say it but being an expat, I try to avoid places where too many foreigners hang out because of this risk. Be safe and be careful.

#9 21 November 2010 07:44:04

dame de trésor
dame de trésor
Makati, Manila

Re: Cafe havana ???

World be Free wrote:

dame de trésor wrote:

babyjoycey wrote:

its a hookers-infested bar!

hmmm,you mean if I go there I might get the same impression? what if i go there with my rugged pants simple top and  flipflops or with my eye glasses on with nice and decent clothes?

Is  Havana really tagged with that bad impression? Too bad for a nice venue...

Well, then you'll look like a smart simple hooker in a tropical climate. J/K
Ok, here's why:
1.With so many hookers dining there, I woudn't drink off their glass ware, use their silver ware, eat off their plates. Who knows what kind off STD's these hookers have. Did I mention they could be carrying every hepatitis known in the alphabet........oh wait, did I mention the two most famous letters in the hospitals here,....T.B. Tuberculosis is can be transmitted airborne, with hookers having suppress and compromise immune systems.....well you get the point....a fruit salad of diseease sitting to your left and right. It's too bad that they started invading the Starbucks next door. Ok, I went a bit far, but I wanted to get my point across and believe me this is real.

2.On a more serious note. I was advised by locals who live in the Greenbelt area to stay away from this place because of the many foreigners frequenting this place, that it has become a security risk and possibly a target for those who want to ruin the public's way of life. (Remember the Glorietta explosion, no one really knows what happened there) I hate to say it but being an expat, I try to avoid places where too many foreigners hang out because of this risk. Be safe and be careful.

That's really true be cautious of " a fruit salad of disease" one of my foreign friend told me that and yeah they invaded the starbucks and Seatles soon I  just hope not the Cafe Breton. I was advised by my classmates and close friends not to go there . It sucks because that kind of  security risk Is limiting me to  visit the places I wanna explore and  yeah, I love to explore and check new places and I am Filipina and that makes me more crazy and aggravated about this prostitution and Risk issues :(

#10 23 November 2010 12:35:12

PacificGirl
PacificGirl
Manila

Re: Cafe havana ???

I can feel your disappointment my dear.  I used to be part of the Manila & Boracay Island clubbing scene when I used to run a place in the island.  I have to say I have been to Havana only once ages ago and I never set foot on that place again.  I don't even feel comfortable hanging out within that "zone" - Starbucks, Seattle's Best, Cafe Breton.  Call me paranoid but I walk faster than my usual phase when I pass by there.

It is not what you wear that foreign guys will look into.  Once they see you hanging out there even wearing a hideous turtle neck on a hot afternoon would still imply that you're "one of them".  I just recently came back here in Philippines and I noticed that nothing has changed with the place's reputation.

I am exploring what the city has to offer again because I have learned that the places I used to go to has ceased operation or some has changed its name.  I honestly feel a stranger to my own city.

Maybe we can come up and arrange something interesting to do and I'm sure we'll all forget that Cafe Havana even exists. :D

#11 25 November 2010 14:03:00

dame de trésor
dame de trésor
Makati, Manila

Re: Cafe havana ???

PacificGirl wrote:

Call me paranoid but I walk faster than my usual phase when I pass by there.

Maybe we can come up and arrange something interesting to do and I'm sure we'll all forget that Cafe Havana even exists. :D

hahahhaha we're the same. I walk fast every time i pass by that area. It's like i'll get burn hahahah

Thats a good idea :) expat blog girls night out!!!! wooohooo that is pretty cool!!!!

#13 29 November 2010 05:52:11

dame de trésor
dame de trésor
Makati, Manila

Re: Cafe havana ???

dhnindc wrote:

Are there 2 Cafe Havana's? I thought it was in Greenbelt and a normal bar/resto?  I used to like to go salsa...

ye two according to my friend who use to go malate . That's the worst one i guess but then the greenbelt followed  its foot steps

#14 29 November 2010 05:58:22

dhnindc
dhnindc
Makati

Re: Cafe havana ???

I see. Not sure where I should go, but I like to wander about and will probably be in Rockwell. Anything nice in that area besides the Powerplant Mall? Not really concerned about crime as I used to live in LA and it has a lot worse areas, but I am an Asian so maybe wont stick out to much.  haha

#15 29 November 2010 06:08:53

dame de trésor
dame de trésor
Makati, Manila

Re: Cafe havana ???

dhnindc wrote:

I see. Not sure where I should go, but I like to wander about and will probably be in Rockwell. Anything nice in that area besides the Powerplant Mall? Not really concerned about crime as I used to live in LA and it has a lot worse areas, but I am an Asian so maybe wont stick out to much.  haha

what do you wanna do? dance? drink? well, there's  some nice place in greenbelt like the izakaya so many locals though. I sometimes go the forth to look around. I am not that  nght life owl. I rather have some few red wine  while listening to nice music and have relaxing chat with friends. But I also dance sometimes.

#17 29 November 2010 17:44:02

dame de trésor
dame de trésor
Makati, Manila

Re: Cafe havana ???

Nat187 wrote:

Dear Dame !
then you are really the one to organize Expat's girls Outing )):P

hmm good idea ;) hehehe well, i am not a good organizer but yeah, char , wine, nice music and  place would be nie for expat blog peeps...

#19 30 November 2010 07:03:07

babyjoycey
babyjoycey
isle of man

Re: Cafe havana ???

i'm just wondering if anyone wants to meet up for a drink at Spicy Fingers at Greenbelt 2 tomorrow night. the live band is pretty good and it's ladies night on wednesdays :)

i'll be there most likely from 10.30pm onwards. PM me if you will be there as well and we can exchange contact details.

#20 30 November 2010 07:05:59

dame de trésor
dame de trésor
Makati, Manila

Re: Cafe havana ???

babyjoycey wrote:

i'm just wondering if anyone wants to meet up for a drink at Spicy Fingers at Greenbelt 2 tomorrow night. the live band is pretty good and it's ladies night on wednesdays :)

i'll be there most likely from 10.30pm onwards. PM me if you will be there as well and we can exchange contact details.

i am near the area will try depends on work calls ;)

#26 12 January 2011 09:13:20

dame de trésor
dame de trésor
Makati, Manila

Re: Cafe havana ???

General I.Wonder wrote:

Hi, I think they are worried you may be mistaken for a woman of the evening... its  a place that attracts both men and women looking for financially motivated "dates"   :|

probably... financially motivated, whoredom, prostitution site

#27 25 January 2011 21:11:31

wanderingsalsero
wanderingsalsero
Pasay City

Re: Cafe havana ???

I've been investigating the Salsa scene in Manila too because I'm planning on moving there. 

In the course of my investigations, I met a Filipina who apparently is somewhat prominent in the Filipina Salsa community.  She told me that her people don't like going to Cafe Havana because it was overrun with 'working girls'. 

She meant, I assume, local 'hookers'.  Apparently it's known as a 'meat market'.  She also said the music wasn't very authentic....i.e. just a few guys with digital keyboards or something like that.

I have reasons for being interested in going to the Philippines but I'm a little apprehensive of the raunchy, sleezy reputation  of it too.  I find it very amazing that a town the size of Manila doesn't have a better Salsa community. 

I guess this is expected from a country with such a poverty problems, but.......it's sure a shame because otherwise it's such a pretty place.

BTW....If you know anyplace in or near Makati where I could find just a simple room, bathroom, shower type accomodation for around $350-400, I would like to know.

If I can't find someplace within my budget in Manila then I'm considering someplace else.  Maybe Olongapo.  Or maybe Thailand (Chieng Mai).

Regards,
Art
Skype: atwill4

#28 27 January 2011 04:27:19

dame de trésor
dame de trésor
Makati, Manila

Re: Cafe havana ???

City Garden Hotel Makati
along makati ave. Try visit their web page. Near  malls, night outs, hospital, business establishments.

SUPERIOR SINGLE / DOUBLE (Inner Room)
Lowest Rate at USD $67.00+
   
DELUXE SINGLE / DOUBLE
Lowest Rate at USD $92.00+
   
EXECUTIVE DELUXE SINGLE / DOUBLE
Lowest Rate at USD $95.00+

#29 27 January 2011 04:37:15

dame de trésor
dame de trésor
Makati, Manila

Re: Cafe havana ???

wanderingsalsero wrote:

I've been investigating the Salsa scene in Manila too because I'm planning on moving there. 

In the course of my investigations, I met a Filipina who apparently is somewhat prominent in the Filipina Salsa community.  She told me that her people don't like going to Cafe Havana because it was overrun with 'working girls'. 

She meant, I assume, local 'hookers'.  Apparently it's known as a 'meat market'.  She also said the music wasn't very authentic....i.e. just a few guys with digital keyboards or something like that.

I have reasons for being interested in going to the Philippines but I'm a little apprehensive of the raunchy, sleezy reputation  of it too.  I find it very amazing that a town the size of Manila doesn't have a better Salsa community. 

I guess this is expected from a country with such a poverty problems, but.......it's sure a shame because otherwise it's such a pretty place.

BTW....If you know anyplace in or near Makati where I could find just a simple room, bathroom, shower type accomodation for around $350-400, I would like to know.

If I can't find someplace within my budget in Manila then I'm considering someplace else.  Maybe Olongapo.  Or maybe Thailand (Chieng Mai).

Regards,
Art
Skype: atwill4

with that  amount you can get so many nice hotels in makati , but if you're just looking for a real simple  room with  nice bathroom i heard city garden  is good.

#33 02 February 2011 16:54:34

dame de trésor
dame de trésor
Makati, Manila

Re: Cafe havana ???

JWilliamson wrote:

Anyways, this has been a great Ad for that place. JW

this is not  an Add LOL ;)   We are  the curious females, wondering why  real friends keep on stopping me from visiting that place. I have no intention to go there anyways.

#34 02 February 2011 22:07:02

wanderingsalsero
wanderingsalsero
Pasay City

Re: Cafe havana ???

I see your point.  I think if I was a reasonably confident woman, I'd be all the more curious to go by there and see what all these other vixens are doing that supposedly makes them such Pinoy sirens.

For myself....I darn sure want to see what it's like.  I can dance anywhere anyway.

Regards,
Art

#35 03 February 2011 05:48:49

dame de trésor
dame de trésor
Makati, Manila

Re: Cafe havana ???

actually I did pass by there last weekend because I heard it's  one  big whoredom during weekends.  Well, I walk there with some friends with their cute little kids, I made my self look so domesticated and had dessert in cafe breton. Friday and saturday night surprised me. So many girls wearing heavy make ups, strong perfume and sexy clothes. Some look so dirty with their dirty hawk like toe nails and weird shoes. Some are wanna be's with their one drink good for long hours, waiting for their prey. But the thing that surprised me most are the gays hahahhah gosh they were sitting on the bench right in front of starbucks with their female clothes and you know what? It's like I almost throw up. hahahha Then I also see some couples ( foreign and local gal) negotiating  near seatles.. It's an open prostitution site. I wonder why our  government specially makati mayor allow that thing to happen.

 

wanderingsalsero wrote:

I see your point.  I think if I was a reasonably confident woman, I'd be all the more curious to go by there and see what all these other vixens are doing that supposedly makes them such Pinoy sirens.

For myself....I darn sure want to see what it's like.  I can dance anywhere anyway.

Regards,
Art

#36 03 February 2011 06:05:03

dame de trésor
dame de trésor
Makati, Manila

Re: Cafe havana ???

it's not about being  confident. Some of pinays are just careful protecting their names and family that's why they don't want to be seen in that kind of area and don't wanna misjudge by others. Like one time, I was walking near  seatles from Italianis side and two foreign guys looked at me, smiled and say hello and they seem they want to approach me. I did not respond rather walk fast. See, it's like ... I as local girl here, lost my freedom to see, enjoy and explore the beauty of the mall. Darnnn I just hate it because they think we're all the same.

wanderingsalsero wrote:

I see your point.  I think if I was a reasonably confident woman, I'd be all the more curious to go by there and see what all these other vixens are doing that supposedly makes them such Pinoy sirens.


Art

#37 03 February 2011 10:24:06

dhnindc
dhnindc
Makati

Re: Cafe havana ???

Fort B seems boring in comparison. I need to get out and see more of Metro Manila, but too busy trying to find a place to live, transport, etc...

#40 10 March 2011 22:18:10

female_expat
female_expat
Makati

Re: Cafe havana ???

I remember this place Cafe Havana, I passed by there few times and hang out alone, sipping my orange juice full of ice (coz its sticky hot n'humid and I dont drink alcohol).

My last visit was in late 2005, the place looked new and  I thought it's cool to hang out just to observe some people passing by and others who I think acting weird and over the top, you can hear the loud yankee accent and the cochney brit or aussie and the coolest thing was to listen to the latin music...

Anyway most of my ex-colleagues and friends in PH were western guys, plus I am a mountaineer and a mountain biker and therefore most members are definitely 'old school boys club'.

I noticed only one thing from these guys... all they told me was dont hang out there coz its a pickup joint and dont hang out here coz you are listening to our conversation and blah blah blah...

To be honest, the worse kind are actually the married men.. married men who were far away from their spouses or gfs, seem to be more sinful...seem to act more like a mice who likes to play when the cat is away..

There are so many kinds of women in the world. And if we define prostitution nowadays, the more modern definition is likely, that if a woman ask favour in agreement for the man's  pleasure..it is prostitution regardless of the act. 

So what do you call those executive women, who hang out in their client's bed, in exchange for securing a contract or boosting sales? Or an executive trying to climb the corporate ladder will do everything to just achieve that? What about those women, who go out with dirty old men? Do you really think the reason you hanging out with an old bf 2x or 3x the age, is love?  Some women probably do it out of love... but hey tell that to my grandpa...

I honestly thought young gals hanging out with old men are such an "eye sore"... .... unless the old guy is cute ..that may be an exception...

Maybe at the time when I hang out in Cafe Havana alone, those men probably thought Im prosti... but those men did not know what I was thinking about them..

I thought lousy old men who knows nothing but to spread "bad" things, but what the heck..its typical catholic country, 3rd world and hypocrite.. If you get these kinds of people in Italy and Spain.. dont be surprized that it exist in the Philippines..

Wherever you go - you get these kinds of women, be it at the cafes, bar, even in the mall. You even get these men and  women inside Universties... that's what is going on in the real world...

I dont condone these acts but at least these women are working for a living...and I think they deserve some respect if you may. These women are NOT beggars, free loaders and bludgers.

So many people there in PH who are accustomed to 'freebies'. I think these sorts are the worse kinds... but that's just me...

Let's not be judgmental... if you dont wanna be in a place where you feel threatened, scared or dont want to be stereotyped...then dont go out...

Or just go to the mountains, you get scenic views, keeps you fit and takes your stress away :)


cheers

  • Page 1 / 2

5 members online in the Philippines

Expatriate health insurance Manila
Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Manila.
>> Click here
Expat banking Manila
Discover the benefits of expat banking for people living and working abroad.
>> Click here
Moving to Manila
A few tips from professionals about moving to Manila.
>> Click here
Travel insurance Manila
Don't worry and travel happy across Manila.
>> Click here