Moving back

I lived in Belize for over a year, but thought I would move back to the states. What a mistake. Now I am planning on moving back about in May. I will be looking for a furnished apartment or something similar around San Ignacio. That is where I lived before. I wish I hadn't moved back here, but I thought that I would be happier because my husband passed away in Belize. The old saying You can't go home again is so true.

I so well understand your point of view.  My husband passed away, but we were living in Panama when that happened.  It was too painful to remain there so I  returned to the US then moved instead to Belize.  I currently live in Corozal, but as with you, I believe I'd rather live in San Ignacio.  I'd be interested in your perspective.

I really like San Ignacio. Everything I need is there. My friend and I would go to the market every Saturday. Never had a problem with crime or any problems. There is  a great doctor just over the bridge in Santa Elana. Great meat market owned by Peter. Nice grocery stores. It has basically everything I needed or wanted. I am looking forward to getting back. I miss all the friends I made.
If you have any questions, please ask.

Thank you for your info.  Yes, I'd like to find out if there are any small parcels of land for sale there and are they sold by owner or by agent,  I am looking for just enough land to have a nice sized garden and maybe a few chickens if allowed.  Thank you again,
Marcia
currently in Scappoose, Oregon
going to my home in Corozal, BZE on the 9th

You should have no problem finding a couple of parcels. If from a private owner make sure they own it. I know Scappoose as I grew up in Canby Oregon. I am planning on heading back probably mid April. I know of people in the area that can help you with property. I don't know if you want a house already there or if you plan to build. The Menonites have houses they build and will deliver to your property.
Keep me posted on your plans and I can connect you will some helpful people.
Patricia

You grew up in Canby?  It's a small world!
Yes I know about the Mennonite houses.  They built mine in the Consejo area  in the Corozal province.    It's ok, but it's more to my late husband's liking.  I prefer country living.  I think San Ignacio would suit me better.
May I ask where you are living now?

Best wishes,
Marcia

Right now I am living in Caldwell Idaho. I came here to be near my daughter and grandkids, but a few weeks ago they moved away. So that left me here where I don't know anyone. Oh well, such is life. I just need to hang on here for a little while longer.

Well, let me know if I can be helpful in some way.  I still have my home here in Oregon (but not for much longer) and I do have my home in Belize with 2 bedrooms, one of which is unoccupied.  So, keep me posted, and as I said before, if you prefer, you can use my personal email address of [email protected]

My children are all grown, but I have 2 sons living with me for now, hoping things will change after the next election.  One is working 2 jobs and maintaining his own business.  The other is in a funk, not doing much but sleeping all of the time.  His problem has now become my problem.  I wish to liquidate all US possessions and forget about this place.  It has become just too corrupt for me and started going that way about 30 years ago (at least that's when I first noticed it.)  I just want to be free of the USA, and that's not an easy task when there are children and grandchildren you care about.  But I'm learning quickly that they are far more interested in their own lives at this point, but I understand that.  I'm saddened by it, but I'm ok with it.

So sorry for your loss. I can imagine it would be hard either place, but maybe you can feel his presence in Belize.

why would you want to move to a place with murderous crime ....?
belize isn't safe at all... dangerous and corrupt...that, is belize

Your post is not what this forum is about.  I know of no country clear

what...you want to hide the truth....when it is negative....?
those facts may not be on the tourist brochure......but...it's in all the belize news media...!
to negate any truths, is to disrespect some one's need for as complete an idea of what is going on.

As far as I know there is crime everywhere is Belize really any worse than in the US or Canada ??

world org.'s have listed belize as from 3 to 6th in the world, for dangerous.
but  who's  to  say...
after 25+ yrs  there... i say it is really  bad.
but  who's  to  say...
oh  and corruption.....yikes....  the government in reality... could be described as despotic.
but  who's  to  say...
after 25+ yrs  there... i say it is really corrupt.
but  who's  to  say...
most people want to believe the dream they are being sold.

Warning don't get involved with this bitter Canadian who for some reason remains in a country he hates.  Yes there is crime in Belize, just as in Canada, big countries have regional crime reporting which can then reduce down to crime reporting within your own city so you just here about your part of the country.  But Belize is really small so you hear about every crime within the country on the TV news every day.

like the man said.... ''every day''........dangerous and corrupt...yep  that's  belize.!!!

You want to see corruption, go to the USA.  The US government will take public lands, then try to take rancher's land, and if the ranchers try to fight, the FBI and State police will kill them and stream it live over the internet!  My thoughts to you, sir.  You haven't seen anything yet!

mbarlow.
.i'd advise you that i have seen far more than you seem to imagine.in a few countries.
what happens in countries other than belize...  to me, has no bearing  whatsoever...on what the conditions as it pertains to any form of crime....in belize.
to speak of  USA  is  redundant to the subject of belize.

Whatever.  I'm entering my 5th year in Belize without incident.  I'm happy with my home and my neighbors.  Not the case in the USA.  I'm visiting in the US right now, and this place disgusts me.  For the most part the government of Belize leaves people alone.  Not the case with businesses, however.  That's a different story, but my information on that is 2nd hand.

Hi everyone,

Please calm down. This is getting off topic. Please respect the OP message and opinion.

Thank you.
Christine
Expat.com

Ok, ok.  I did want to put in 2 cents worth in favor of Belize, however.
I am not a professional, however I did move my possessions to Belize two times now.  Both times went fine.  My neighbors moved their things via pickup truck plus a small trailer.  They drove from Washington State to Texas, down through Mexico, through Chetumal and on into Corozal.  No problems for them.
I used 2 different moving companies.  I'll have to go back through my records to see the names of each.  Of course, I moved in under the graces of the QRP

The US cant take public lands.  The public lands are owned by the USA.

I checked back through my posts.  I don't know where your comment came from?  I don't think I've talked about this topic here.  Are you talking about the public land over near Burns, Oregon?  If so, when did I ever discuss that here?

post 17 makes absolutely no sense...cant happen

Seriously?  Have you been following the Bundy/ Finicum/ Hammond events?  This is not the place to talk about this, but you need to become aware.

public land and the federal government are one and the same.   They were trespassers.

that's sounds like  USA  ...and  belize....for sure.

I'm not sure if I should be addressing this topic here.  Is there no more private email in this forum?
Why are my answers being erased in this forum?  Why, when I click on the envelope, am I taken to a blurb on Ecuador?

Public land IS NOT government land.  The only land allowed for government to own in the USA are ports, forts, and the 10 sq miles surrounding Washington DC, according to the supreme law of the land, the constitution.  Is Belize different?  Can Belize government seize property whenever it wants to?  If so, I'm selling my home and property there and moving out.  There is a push on right now to cause the entire world to become communist.  As long as capitalism exists anywhere, communism can not happen as under capitalism, people have choices and freedoms.  People will go to where they have freedoms and choices.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictiona … blic+Lands

MBARLOW
it appears that you may think that this site's  purpose is to give the best information ...to people  who  rreally  need  it  to make  an informed and accurate evaluation that might further the  interest in belize...
when in actuality...and fact...  it is  merely a method  of generating income for the owners of the site.
owners which may have never even stepped on Belizean soil.
and  moderators,  also,  who don't live in belize...
one moderator that did live in belize and who ranted on, about  Belize's ''safety....  was murdered b4 she  could falsely convince others of the ,safety aspects,  of the country  ....that were obviously , even for  her,,, untrue.
the owner's moderators...do [under orders]..as they please to  ''not''  upset the apple-cart/finances, albeit , it does seem to negate, the value of the site .
if it doesn't diminish your life...  don't get all boiled over  it.
i don't know of any expat site...that isn't operated in the same manner.
good  luck finding  a site.... that tells  the whole truth.

MBARLOW-
''freedom''...and  ''communism''... are  just words....
wouldn't it be great,  to actually have a planet covered in communism.
and  yes...apparently...the bz gob  can take land  from  whomever they want.
[i have friends that have had that done to them.]
usually  the land gets given or sold , to a gob buddy
the belize government corruption seems to hold no boundaries.

SPmQQse, Then we ought to create one, using statistics for each area and not just make general statements concerning the entire country.

For example, in Consejo, (not the shores) where I live, we have very little crime, but we are a very tiny spot on the map.

Too, the entire country's population equals the entire population of Portland, Oregon!  And the whole country of Belize can fit into a small part of Central Oregon!

A question:  What is the population of Hattiville?  Do they have a work release program?  Most crime is the direct result of poverty, when in fact, the most egregious crimes against society are committed by politicians.  Yet when convicted, they go to a plush, cushy little concept of an imprisonment.

Yes, we ought to develop a statistical report on various locations around Belize.

Were not trespassing.  Again, Government is NOT allowed to own according to the Constitution.  Ports, Forts, and 10 Sq mi surrounding Washington DC.  Can not go into detail on this at this time as my computer keeps flipping out.  Public means public.  Government used to represent the public, but no longer does.  Has, instead, attempted to become a dictatorship.

MBAROW..
do you ask about the  town..hattieville...or  are  you asking about the  prison...
hattieville...aprox 1400-1500 people
hattieville prison....aprox. 1400-1500
yes , the prison has had a work release program.. but in the past , the crooked police/guards , were taking the prisoners to small villages/towns  .. at night... to have them  break in to peoples houses,, and returning them to the prison  b4  daylight...that may be still happening.
comparing belize to anywhere else is totally redundant , to dealing with actualities in belize.
i find it odd. .that even with the world stats. and studies...  that state belize ,is a top dangerous and corrupt country..  people still  want to believe the  'dream'  they were first sold.
nothing has happened to you , yet,....?.......... that's GRRRREAT...!!!...
one more thing....
belize has been my home for over  25  yrs  now...  and in that time  i have seen a lot..
first and 2nd hand........and i surely don't  propose to know 'all' about  belize.....certainly not enough to tell tourists  or  pre-expats...  that the place is a safe haven...... on the contrary... 
1 year living in belize......is you're time in belize, in a gated ,guarded...complex/community...?
and  you know  the country ?.....enough to advise  ?
no advice is better than bad advice.

You asked some questions.  I'll try to answer.
MBAROW..
do you ask about the  town..hattieville...or  are  you asking about the  prison...
hattieville...aprox 1400-1500 people
hattieville prison....aprox. 1400-1500So, it looks like the town is the prison.  I was trying to get an idea of the relative number of prisoners to the whole population, to create a statistic.
yes , the prison has had a work release program.. but in the past , the crooked police/guards , were taking the prisoners to small villages/towns  .. at night... to have them  break in to peoples houses,, and returning them to the prison  b4  daylight...that may be still happening.Wow.  That's pretty gosh awful!  One hopes the practice has been discontinued and that guards responsible have joined their 'hired crew.'

i find it odd. .that even with the world stats. and studies...  that state belize ,is a top dangerous and corrupt country..  people still  want to believe the  'dream'  they were first sold.  Are you an activist?  Are you desiring to incite change?
nothing has happened to you , yet,....?.......... that's GRRRREAT...!!!...Nothing thus far has happened to me.  I do stay vigilant, however.  I've experienced Panama, which can get pretty scary at times.
one more thing....
belize has been my home for over  25  yrs  now...  and in that time  i have seen a lot..
first and 2nd hand........and i surely don't  propose to know 'all' about  belize.....certainly not enough to tell tourists  or  pre-expats...  that the place is a safe haven...... on the contrary...
1 year living in belize......is you're time in belize, in a gated ,guarded...complex/community...?May celebrates my 5th year here.  My community is neither gated or guarded.
and  you know  the country ?.....enough to advise  ?I have attempted to hold my experience in Belize to my community alone as I know very little about the rest of Belize.  The question posed was to give individual experiences.  I can not give a general response to all of Belize anymore than I can speak for all of Oregon where I expatriated from.  Please don't jump to MY conclusions!  :)
no advice is better than bad advice.

SPmQQse  No, it would NOT be great to have a world covered in communism as each of us was granted life on this planet, and the right of individual expression.  Only dictatorships of a power elite cares to have a global communism state, as they like total power over the planet.  Remember, the global elites are humans, with eyes, ears, arms, legs, and a torso.  They are not gods, although they would desire to set themselves up as such.  Right now I am listening to the reality of FEMA camps in the United states, the purchase of 30,000 guillotines split in half and placed in 2 separate states, one being Georgia, the other Montana.  This nation's government (THE USA) has declared war on its citizens.  I am experiencing insanity before me, and I hope to god I can get my children out of here!  But I don't know where they are to go.  This push toward global communism, under the jurisdiction of the UN is moving very rapidly now.  The UN has NO civil rights (Bill of Rights) for the global citizens.  I am in disbelief concerning what I am seeing and hearing.
Since when does the FBI and OSP (Oregon State Police) assassinate a person for havin  g protested an action perpetrated by the government?  Did they do that to the 'Occupy Wall Street people?  Answer:  No.  As the Occupy people fit the narrative being given about the evils of the oil companies.  This president is destroying the country, with malice.  I want both him and his sponsor, George Soros, to fade into history, and the sooner, the better.

Thanks Terrific.  Yours is one of the more sane responses I have received.  I'm wondering if the Canadian's goal is to keep Belize down in population such that it doesn't outgrow it's small citizenry.  Not a bad idea, but to find the worst in a country to accomplish that goal, I wonder about.

Mbarlow,
As a Canadian that loves Belize and agree with much of what you have said in this thread, I hope people will go back and read all of the comments and realize your reference to "the Canadian's" is really not referring to and entire country or national innitive, but rather to one disgruntled Canadian that copies and pastes his unverifiable stats (what I refer to as the devil's math), and blanket assumptions about people and conditions in Belize. He claims to have 25 years of experience in Belize and years of experience in many other countries. The funny thing is when he takes me to task on my website I get his IP address which tracks back to Vancouver in Canada so I would question how much time he actually spends in Belize, how long has it been since he was in Belize, and why would you visit or stay in a place you have such a low opinion of. I realize everyone has their own opinion (hopefully based on personal experience) and right to it, but I hope everyone questions sites and individuals that are either totally sweet with sugar coating or as in this case totally bitter.

I have sent a PM pertaining to your comment of starting a more truthful site.

MBARLOW....
you need to learn the meaning of the word communism....you obviously haven't a clue .
if you did know what the word means...  you would bee-line ,with your family... to a place with communism....
apparently...you, as with many/the masses...have been fooled, into accepting ultimate-capitalism as under the term, communism..
[ignorance is bliss ,they say]
you were ''granted life on this planet, and the right of individual expression''....wow......and  who  was it, that  ''granted''  you ....?
yikes... do you have an actual so-called formal education, other than  'you-tube' ,conspiracy theory, videos....?
as i wouldnt negate the many viral theories of world domination...even as it pertains to and encompasses belize, i also wouldn't expect any diminishing of the crime stats in belize.
i believe that things will not get better, but rather worse,  for a long time.
i doubt that Canadians have such an ulterior/interior motive..as to entertain expat status....for such a goal as you pondered....
[is there a , conspiracy theory  you-tube video, for that?]
by-the-way.....all my responses come from...''sane''...lol
[i cant speak for 'billdoesbelize'.]