Should I legitimately be concerned to travel as an American in Tunisia

Hi there, I'm from US and my fiancé is from Tunisia. I want to visit him but I read so many warnings and news stories. Is it all hype? Or should I legitimately be concerned to travel as an American in Tunisia?  I would love to. It looks like a beautiful place and maybe one day I would live there with him but the reports and warnings are svaring me. Please advise.

Hello CheshireFan,

Welcome on board  :)

A new thread has been created from your post on the Tunisia forum so that members may provide you with their feedbacks.

All the best,
Bhavna

Thank you!!!!

Hi
There are quite a lot of Americans in your situation living here .  A lot depends on where you live, if you have transport (ie a car) or you will be using taxis/bus, if you are used to travelling.  Speaking some words of Arabic will help, to show people you are interested in the culture.  If you are seen as an open person interested in Arab and Tunisian culture and traditions people will welcome you with open arms.  Someone who goes around complaining or criticizing may not be treated as kindly though.  In general in my experience there is very little aggression towards foreigners here, any danger you come up against would be the general threat of terrorism in your daily life but this is the same for foreigners and Tunisians alike at the moment.