If student has bad result in class,is it right to blame for teacher?

I worked for certain language centers in Vietnam. I am an English teacher.

Students coming to those center are quite "lazy". Most of them just learn in class and do not study or even do homework at home. So the question is that how they improve their language skill without practice? They just depend on 1.5 hour in class. of course it is not enough.

For some students, they have language ability, so they can have good result at the end of each English class. However, for others, when they have bad grades in the final exam, all the responsibilities to explain to their parents and to school's manager are belonged to English teacher. I worked so hard. But their parents are looking down on me due to something which is not coming from my side.

I know what you mean. I too work as an English teacher. kids can do no wrong. American influence  is coming and it is not a good thing always.

That is the new American philosphy, everyone is at fault, but their child. It unfortunately is a strong belief now & anything the children say, they are always right.
Not a goodthing, so please do not takeit to personally, even though that is not much comfort for you.

Thanks for understanding that. just teachers know it. Sometimes people do not understand for us. They are influenced by foreign trend and money too

You know you could whip them into shape. The nuns used to do it all the time in Catholic schools here. Just whip the hell out of the lazy ones. Show em you're the boss.

I agree. To me, only babies have no fault. when they grow up to toddler, children..... They know how to listen to others. So they can distinguish things. And they are welcomed to be wrong, only in a way that they try to avoid making mistake a gain in the future.

And in the way people educate children in my school, children know their rights and they keep forcing people around, even teacher not to do anything bad to them.

I am originally Vietnamese. I lived abroad. I am open-minded. But I start to feel afraid of this education method. So dangerous!

Haha. but I am a teacher, I need to be a good model for "everyone" to look at. They will say bad things behind my back.

On the other hand. I am an employee in a school too. If I change school's rules, I will be out, for sure.

U can not expect all students to focus on your lessons. Some just goes to the school as their parents force them to do so. And parents pay the school fee so they have the right to blame the teacher for their kids' bad result. Once you accept the payment, you are responsible for everything.

Don't get all angry at me for this, but try to take an honest look in a mirror.

Are your lessons sending the kids to sleep?

English is a terrible language to learn, mostly because it's full of really weird spellings, verbs that seem totally nuts and tenses that give tension to the most relaxed student.
That in mind, I would suggest the lessons need some serious pizzazz to keep the kids awake and interested.
Are your pupils wowed, or are their pupils dilated and fixed?

Everything has 2 sides. Please don't say like I receive money from their parents. It's such a huge difference between my salary and the amount of money that parents pay.

If you go to work in a company. You do a great job. But the manager never recognise your effort. You can think like that way. Please don't consider like I am a machine, you put money into that and you can kick/ hit or do whatever you want if that machine doesn't produce right product. It's so capitalism

thanks I know what you mean. My students love me. Out of 100, I just have 5 - 10 students having bad results. but it drives me crazy with their parents and my manager because those are loyal customers ( means that their students have been studying in my school for long time. They just drop their kids there and pick them after class. My school is like a kindergarten in a way those parents understand. So, their kids used to living in my school and they do not study)

This is why I don't want to teach on America.

Everything is the teacher's fault!

Maybe the child can't focus because they need eyeglasses.

Maybe they can't hear well and they need a hearing aid.

Maybe they have a toothache and need to see a dentist.

Maybe, they have no food at home and they're trying to study on an empty stomach.

Or, maybe their parents are not working with them at home and expect you to work miracles.

--- Whatever it is you can be sure it is the teachers fault!

90% of your students are doing great, but it is ALL your fault that 10% are failing.

Your lessons are too boring.

You are just not a good teacher.

Blah, blah, blah.     

My philosophy is to concentrate on those who prove they really want to learn.

Do the very best you can with them and don't waste your time with the others.

If the school is not happy with the results, then pack your bags and go find someone who appreciates all of your hard work and dedication.

I am a teacher too, and sometimes I stop lessons for those who I see can not improve. Its not my fault or  kid's fault. Maybe they dont want to study, or my method simply doesnt fit them. I ask parents to stop the lesson or try another teacher and all parents being asked really appreciate that. So, I just want to say once you agree to teach and get paid, you have made commitment to help kids with no excuse.

A small amount of kids I teach , just simply have no interest in being there and are simply forced by their parents to go.
"You can lead a horse to water , but you cannot make it drink "
Full Stop

drutter wrote:

This is why I don't want to teach on America.

Everything is the teacher's fault!

Maybe the child can't focus because they need eyeglasses.

Maybe they can't hear well and they need a hearing aid.

Maybe they have a toothache and need to see a dentist.

Maybe, they have no food at home and they're trying to study on an empty stomach.

Or, maybe their parents are not working with them at home and expect you to work miracles.

--- Whatever it is you can be sure it is the teachers fault!

90% of your students are doing great, but it is ALL your fault that 10% are failing.

Your lessons are too boring.

You are just not a good teacher.

Blah, blah, blah.     

My philosophy is to concentrate on those who prove they really want to learn.

Do the very best you can with them and don't waste your time with the others.

If the school is not happy with the results, then pack your bags and go find someone who appreciates all of your hard work and dedication.

We are on the same page. thanks. I've changed some places and they are the same all. Feeling quite tough!

Hello tien.ho03
  I am truly sorry to hear about your situation. I do hope things will get better for you. If you can pull it off somehow I would highly recommend you finish up your bachelor's degree. I suspect this would help you out in your search for a good, reliable company to work for.

Hello Again tien.ho03
  Please accept my sincerest apologies. I don't know where I got the idea you had not finished up your BA - it must have been another blog I was reading about someone else.
  Anyway, I do wish you the best of luck in the future.

drutter wrote:

Hello tien.ho03
  I am truly sorry to hear about your situation. I do hope things will get better for you. If you can pull it off somehow I would highly recommend you finish up your bachelor's degree. I suspect this would help you out in your search for a good, reliable company to work for.

It's impossible. I quit my study. my family is running a business. but I prefer to work for my own. I still have job and I am happy with my life too. It's not bad like that. Somehow, i just feel frustrated about the way people treat to each other, especially to kids..... kind of irresponsibility but they always show that they care

Here we go again!
@tien.ho03, nothing is.impossible.You can do whatever you want in life. The only person stopping you, is you.
Negativity achieves nothing

Happy8888 wrote:

Here we go again!
@tien.ho03, nothing is.impossible.You can do whatever you want in life. The only person stopping you, is you.

Hahaha. I  know that sometimes I  am so negative to life. not always. And I don't want to finish my BA anymore because I am happy now and I don't have time to study back. It's so costly (money and time). I think I should keep going forward

drutter wrote:

Hello Again tien.ho03
  Please accept my sincerest apologies. I don't know where I got the idea you had not finished up your BA - it must have been another blog I was reading about someone else.
  Anyway, I do wish you the best of luck in the future.

You're right! I quit my study there. It's true :D . it's OK. thanks for your saying. it's so far so good to me.

Happy8888 wrote:

Here we go again!

Like your attitude but that works philosophically in some cases but in reality things don't always work out like the way you think. For instance, I wasn't born in the US and I do want to be its president when Obama leaves the office. However, the Constitution states only a natural born citizen can be the president in the US. So it is impossible in my case no matter how hard I try. In this case, what stops me from accomplishing my dream is the Constitution.

Also, being Realistic, goes a long way to helping you achieve those dreams

Hello Pianovnn

Your point is well taken - sometimes I just get frustrated and need to blow off some steam, but I should be more careful about where I vent.

Have a Great Day  :)

Hello tien.ho03

If you are satisfied and happy with your life that is all that matters.

You need not answer to anyone but yourself.

We all get frustrated sometimes - anyone who denies it is lying!

Hi - This is a question that has been asked and debated for many generations of student-teacher relationships. There is probably no one answer the is suitable in all circumstances. Yes, while it may be true that for "every student who fails, there is a teacher who has failed." However, Student success is dependent on not only teacher effectiveness and proper decision-making along with a thorough understanding of student management; successful student outcomes result from a combination of teacher skills, parental guidance and student motivation/interest.

What I might point toward as being a most relevant and significant factor, however, is the training, experience   and range of skills that a teacher may (or may not) have. Even the best teachers can still experience less success and difficulty with some student. Yet, a very knowledgable and dedicated teacher is one who considers all options and resources available to him/her; particularly embracing/developing skills to identify individual learning needs, including behavior characteristics associated with those needs.

If communication, resources and co-operation between all interested persons (school administration, teacher, parent(s) and student are not fortified and mutually agreed upon, then it would be most difficult to highlight the 'teacher' as being the main culprit responsible for a child/adolescent not attaining success.

Tien, your obviously having a bad day. Tomorrow looks brighter. Every teacher experiences what you are experiencing. Do your best. When a child seems to have a problem, contact his parents. Setup a meeting to document his problem with the parents. Maybe with the parents kicking the kids but, you stand a chance to teach him or if he fails the parents are aware of the situation.

As for you...do your best and consider every child learns differently. Some are audio visual, some technical, others skeptical, some analytical...

Confide with other teachers and Brainstorm ideas.

I think you are a caring person and very sensitive. Don't be so hard on yourself.

I am not certified teacher but we help with English pronunciation and simple grammar. But I know exactly what you mean, recently we noticed very lazy kids in our class and we dropped them from our program after consulting their parents. We will not help those who don't want help. You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make him drink. As for your question are the teachers at fault? no the student has to have the willingness to learn. You cannot a brick wall.

Cannot do what to a brick wall ?
My TA told me yesterday that a lot of parents simply use the classes as a babysitting service , whilst they work
I have some very smart kids in my classes , the disruptive ones who have absolutely no interest in being there , do not make it easy for those who genuinely want to learn
I had one psychopath stab me in the leg with a pen yesterday , oh the joy . A lot of the time , especially with little ones , it's all about crowd control , no matter how much fun you try and make it
Having said that , I would not swap it for anything

Sorry, I meant to say " you cannot teach a brick wall ".Meaning you cannot teach those who don't want to learn.

If you are doing your job well you will probably see most students achieve good results with a few outliers.  Use the exams to see what you can change in your lessons.  If most students aren't getting something, you should make some changes to your lesson.  You can see this in the results.  If just a couple students here and there struggle, it may be due to a learning disability, bad parenting, or disinterest in English.

I disagree with the blanket statement that once you accept payment you are fully responsible for blame from parents.  There are many reasons for poor exam results, and only some of them fall on the teacher.  You aren't Mary Poppins and it's not your fault if mom and dad let their iPhones raise their kids.

The old blame game, huh?

What about dull grammar-centric material? The way your center arranges things? Grammar as panacea. Forget the psychology of learning.

Another truth: each student needs to learn all by herself. That process cannot be outsourced to some teacher. And for languages, it really helps to do a little bit each and every day!

Am asking myself hot to do a better job? MOTIVATING students is a priority. Positive feedback (even when the homework is far from okay). Trying to have some fun, to mix it up in class. But there is that dour Vietnamese mentality: sweat, blood and tears are good. Homework and more homework! Only that most kids won't know how to speak English lightheartedly...

You are the scapegoat. All was, is and will be your fault. The owner might replace you and the cycle begins again...

Hear, hear. And then there is the size of classes. 17 kids? There is never a quiet time as short as 5 seconds. Someone will run out to drink water / pee / ... and the few with ADS or other mental issues find ways to keep those who want to learn from learning effectively.

Has a center ever banned a disruptive student?

Please consider this: you have invested lots of time and money. Now finish it.

Nearby is an office building which is finished by at least 80%. Most windows are in. Great location. and even if they have to sell it for half FMV, fair market value, it would be better than total loss.

Hang in there. Motivate yourself.

Take breaks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlU-zDU6aQ0

Pianovnn wrote:

I am a teacher too, and sometimes I stop lessons for those who I see can not improve. Its not my fault or  kid's fault. Maybe they dont want to study, or my method simply doesnt fit them. I ask parents to stop the lesson or try another teacher and all parents being asked really appreciate that. So, I just want to say once you agree to teach and get paid, you have made commitment to help kids with no excuse.

This will go down well with the owner of the center! (Sarcasm)

They cram more students into a class than is good etc. etc.

At a Thai government school, I had a special class with more English lessons, aircon room etc. One students wouldn't attempt to write a single sentence in the exams. (I asked the class to bring their questions during the exam). The same happened in the finals.

Distraught, I involved the HoD and offered free lessons. Never found out what was stopping him (grade 7). But during a grade 4 exam, I noticed one student not writing anything. => I talked to him, interrupting the test. and he changed and had an average result. What goes on and why in the minds of students?

I have something to add to this, but another can say it better than I can.
It also applies to me, but without the billions of dollars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8uBQZX … e=youtu.be

Happy8888 wrote:

Also, being Realistic, goes a long way to helping you achieve those dreams

No dude; reality is what you make it - Ask the guy in the video.