Looking for "rose water" (rózsavíz?)

Hi, a friend of mine said that she was once give a bottle of "rose water" from Hungary and asks if I could get her some. She says it's a liquid which is used as a tonic to clean and refresh the face.

Is anyone an expert on this? I would be very happy for there to be such a good Hungarian present to get people, because there is only so much paprika you can give.... And where would I go to find such a thing? Department store? Large chemist's?

I thought it is to perfume baked sweets but apparently you can use it for other purposes.

My wife suggested trying either a hair or cosmetic specialty store, or going to one of the Christmas markets soon to open, as rose water is just rose petals seeped in water and many of the "home made" vendor at such markets may have such rose water for sale.

As for myself, I would ask if your friend has the original container/bottle, if it is a commercial product, and to get the name of the product, as that may help find a retail source.

Thanks for that very helpful info!

No, I have already asked and sent a selection from "Google images", so will just have to use my intuition when I track some down!

Sumarokov wrote:

Thanks for that very helpful info!

No, I have already asked and sent a selection from "Google images", so will just have to use my intuition when I track some down!

Strangely enough I watched a TV programme with a segment on rose oil and I believe they also made rose water.  70% of rose oil comes from the Rumelia region of Bulgaria.   

If you go here, you can see how they make it Rose Oil Segment.

Skip forward to 21.26.

You might be able to catch the manufacturer's name in the soundtrack.

HI,
Good quality Rose water can be bought from Szép Kis India, This is the website. exoticindias.com/  or Culinaris shop. You can also find in Middle eastern grocery shops. It is used in bot regions as condiment in food and for cosmetic face cleansing.

Sanyi.k wrote:

Good quality Rose water can be bought from Szép Kis India

But is that "Hungarian" rose water?

Many water sources in Hungary are rich in minerals, and are quite unique. The entire spa culture here is based on the water quality in Hungary (even some of it being due to high concentrations of elements like radium).

So, it may "matter", if the rose water is really "Hungarian" of origin or if it is imported.

I wonder what the good benefits of radium are?
I was sent to a special clinic in Budapest to get radium treatments for my bad knees.10 treatments under a light source for 5 min.
It was strange for sure, the file cabinets in the room had dates on file from as far back as the late 40's mid 50's.
I never noticed a difference in my knees, maybe I glow inside or may find another issue later with my health because of the radium treatment?
I know in the US I have never heard of this for bone issues.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

I wonder what the good benefits of radium are?

From Balneotherapy and Hydrotherapy. A form of "alternate medicine".

Not saying I, personally, think much of it all, but many people put faith in it all. Especially the more "east" one goes in Europe (as one also finds for claims of witchcraft). Which I suspect is why there are so many signs in Russian at Hévíz

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

I never noticed a difference in my knees, maybe I glow inside or may find another issue later with my health because of the radium treatment?
I know in the US I have never heard of this for bone issues.

There's a lot of quackology going on in Hungary. 

There's no way people want to be irradiated for no good reason. Radiation destroys DNA.  Small doses you can get away with but over exposure is very unhealthy.

Yes, I think I was a guinea pig. People were lined up waiting for their treatments for an hour for the quick 3 to 5 min. exposure under the ray. Took months to get in as well.
I grew up in Simi, Calif. which had the worst nuke accident in US history. It is rarely spoken of, happened in the late 1950's just 10 or so years before we moved there.
Lots of cancer in people living in that small city. Lots of my old school friends have odd health issues now.
Not sure about Hungarian rose water, my husband said it is used as a perfume.
There may be some health benefits to it as well but not clear to me, should read up on the subject.