Traveling to Argentina with Ecuadorian cedula

Hello,

I wonder whether anyone has experience with traveling as a tourist to Argentina, being non-Ecuadorian, but just with the Ecuadorian cedula.

Thanks.

I am also from the USA, and about a month ago I bought passage on a flight in February 2016 to Buenos Aires, Argentina, from Quito.

Before booking, I researched the travel arrangements and found that an active USA passport would be required.

If you post again, please tell us where you encountered the concept that only a cédula might be necessary to travel to Argentina as a tourist.

cccmedia in Quito

While the MERCOSUR/MERCOSUL Agreement provides for freedom of movement between member countries for CITIZENS of other member countries, without the necessity of a passport or visa it is NOT quite so liberal with permanent or temporary residents of those countries

It's rather hit-and-miss as far as we expats go, some countries will allow visa free entry with only a Cédula (de Estrangeiro), while others will require a passport. This is determined by MERCOSUR/MERCOSUL, CMC N° 18/08. Art. 4. (See country list in the Anex)

http://www.colombianosune.com/sites/def … rcosur.pdf

Basically, we expats have the freedom of movement between the following countries with only our Cédula:  Brazil, Peru, Colombia and Ecuador. That said, I think it would always be wise to carry one's passport whenever they travel internationally, just in case it is requested or in the event one might need consular assistance when they are away. Note that CMC 18/08 Art. 3 states that the requirement of a visa for other nations that require your passport depends solely upon your original citizenship. (probably Visa Waiver Program restrictions)

Cheers,
James    Expat-blog Experts Team

If you are from US then you have to buy the visa online and they will check it before you board and check it when you arrive.

amyf wrote:

If you are from US then you have to buy the visa online and they will check it before you board and check it when you arrive.

Wrong.  No visa is required for U.S. citizens staying in Argentina up to 90 days.

An active passport is absolutely required.

What you pay for online in advance of travel is a reciprocity fee of $160.  This is a one-time fee that is good for years.

Source:  the U.S. State Department website travel.state.gov ... Visit this website for information about how to pay the reciprocity fee.

cccmedia in Quito

My bad- it's a reciprocity fee (I thought it was $110). You have to print it out and present it when leaving Ecuador and when arriving in Argentina (there is no place to do this once you arrive so you have to have it prior to arrival). It is good for 10 years.

For any American to travel anywhere without a valid passport, would in my opinion not be a good idea.

There is no such place as a stable country, where you can expect "No" civil or environmental issues. Especially today. Having the ability to positively identify yourself and your home country is very important. The U.S. passport is the "One" document an American can have to accomplish this, I can see no reason I would not use it for travel, anywhere.

Traveling with Cedula!
Well, here is my experience a while back.
I am a Dutch Citizen and had to travel to the Dutch Embassy to apply for a new passport.
Due to some situations, I had to cancel my original appointment in April, then I could not get an appointment until the end of June. By this time my Passport had expired.
So I was told that traveling with just your cedula is OK.
So I get to the Guayaquil check-in counter of the airlines, where the young lady indicated that I could NOT travel with my Cedula, since it says: Identidad*EXT.  Please check your Cedula, I am sure most expats will have the "EXT" added to theirs.
That is the "Restriction" from traveling with Cedula only.
Then I explained my dilemma of my expired passport, She suggested to speak to Immigration officer, Who indicated no problem because yes I did have a Ecuadorian Visa, but that is not an automatic travel document. Once I got to the security, immigration there were also confused, good thing I wrote down the name of the senior officer I had spoken to before. After some conversation, they let me through and on to my flight to Lima.
Again, Be aware as described in previous post it can be hit and miss. Better have a valid passport as backup.