Resources for celiacs and people with food allergies in Germany

I can't help but notice that there aren't any forum threads with resources for those with celiac disease or people with any special food needs, so I've decided to start one.  For those of you rolling your eyes, I know it's fashionable to mock people that must stick to a gluten-free diet, but let's be considerate and keep this thread civil and mature, shall we? 

I myself am a celiac, and before moving to Germany was worried that, being such a wheat-heavy culture, finding foods I could eat would be a challenge.  So to soothe your minds, I would like to share some resources and suggestions for those in my place, and also leave this thread open for suggestions/resources (products, stores, restaurants) relating to any kind of food allergy/special food needs in Germany. 

First of all, dining out!  Eating out is a challenge, of course, and for very sensitive celiacs, I would not recommend the "gluten free options" at a restaurant that heavily uses wheat (i.e. a pizza or pasta joint).  Most of these places use the same pots and prep surfaces as their regular wheat-based fare which could prove to be disastrous for most celiacs.  Some bakeries offer gluten-free options, don't be fooled though, the same rule usually applies.  However, if you really need freshly baked g.f. bread, then I'd recommend you ask if they use the same tools/space/oven to bake their g.f. goods as their regular wheat-based goods, or look for a strictly wheat-free bakery.

Pre-packaged gluten free breads, cookies, mixes, flours, etc. can be found in DM, any Reformhaus, Rewe, and upper-scale grocery stores.  Even some discount grocery stores have GF rice crackers and cold cuts marked as gluten free.  If you are highly sensitive, then I would recommend checking the ingredient list of everything you buy here.  Even naturally gluten free foods such as maiz flour can have traces of gluten which may send the most sensitive celiac into a world of pain.

If you're feeling left out during this Xmas season, your local Reformhaus will have gluten-free Xmas treats like Lebkuchen, Marzipan Stolle, etc..  If you have holiday visitors that cannot have wheat/gluten, then they will greatly appreciate the thought!

For those of you who are highly allergic to soy, please be extremely careful when buying products with Lupinenmehl.  This is a flour that comes from the seed of the lupine, which is related to soy and may cause allergic reactions in people who have soy allergies.  Unfortunately this flour is found in almost all gluten-free products.

Please feel free to chime in with any suggestions, resources or experiences regarding food allergies or celiac disease in Germany.

elektraX wrote:

For those of you rolling your eyes, I know it's fashionable to mock people that must stick to a gluten-free diet, but let's be considerate and keep this thread civil and mature, shall we?

Well to be fair, 99% of the people on such a diet are doing so just to be fashionable, get-attention, or be difficult, as gluten-free is the latest dietary fad, right up there with the Adkin's/South Beach diet of last decade. So I think that's why you presume people are rolling their eyes on this issue.  Less than 1% of the global population are affected by Coeliac disease, so you are quite the minority.  I think it's unrealistic to expect restaurants to have separate ovens, materials and ingredients on hand to satisfy a microscopic portion of potential customers.

I'm not discounting your condition at all or suggesting you're in the group of people I mentioned at the start.  I'm sure it must be frustrating not to be able to participate fully in the social aspect of eating out in popular restaurants, and have to rely so heavily on preparing your own food to conform to your needs, and hunt down suitable outlets.

Regardless of statistics, I believe that if I can help even just one person with this post, then it is worth it.  And, as I said originally, the purpose of this thread is to help people, not to judge them or their reasons for adhering to the diet of their choosing.  Please comment if you have something of value to contribute, that will actually help people.

I'd like to open this forum to other dietary needs, such as Kosher, vegetarian, and Halal.  No statistics or judgments please, just resources  :)