How to obtain a Cedula

:)

HI and welcome.  Did you  want to say something????  IF you want to know how to get your cedula,  you need to go read the thread about getting residencia.  After you get residencia then you get a cedula.

anamarie3275 welcome.  Why don't you tell us a bit about yourself.

What are you asking?

And actually you will get  your cedula at the same time as your residency.

Read the threads on the subject and feel free to ask any questions.

Again welcome and please do introduce yourself.

Bob K

Hello,
I came upon this forum while searching how to go about obtaining a "cedula" or id in the Dominican Republic. I've lived in the United states practically all my life and am an American Citizen.  However, I was born in the Dominican Republic and my family and I vacation there regularly.  We also plan to retire there.  I was hoping to be able to get one here in the US, but after reading this forum, it seems that is not possible.  I have my original birth certificate, not the new "extenza" one.  My questions are:
1.  Am I automatically a citizen because I was born there?  (By the way, my husband was born in DR and has dual citizenship.)
2.  What other documents would I need to present?
3.  Where do I need to go in the Dominican Republic (Santo Domingo area)?

Welcome to the forums. the process for you is very different. You do not go through what expats do. You are entitled to citizenship by birth IF your family was here legally or if they are Dominican. That is my understanding but I am NOT a lawyer.

I will recommend you contact Wilson (Billy) Rood in the Santo Domingo who can tell you what is needed and if you qualify based on birth.  [email protected]

And if you do not then you do because you are married to a Dominican Citizen.  That process though is different and then you do have to jump through the hoops as an expat.

Please check into this with a lawyer as I do not know definitively.

Welcome and Planner has given you  good advice.  It should be an easy process for  you

Bob K

Thank you both for your reply.  I appreciate it.  Planner, is the contact you gave me an attorney?

Yes it is. He speaks english and spanish as a native! Great guy, well informed and good pricing too. He is in Santo Domingo.

Thanks for the contact Planner, will reach out to him.