Australian in Brasil- tourist visa complications

Hello :)
I am an Australian passport holder and have just returned to Australia. I need to apply for a new tourist visa as my old one expired. I am planning to return to Brazil on Dec 22nd to see my Brazilian boyfriend and spend at least 90 days there. (If visa process takes too long I can obviously go a few weeks later).

We then plan to leave for 6 months. After this I plan to apply for a student visa around october 2016.

I have previously entered Brazil 3 times (approx total 65 days) on my single 90 day (possible 180 day) tourist visa-
My first entry to Brazil was April 18th, 2015, and I exited May 19th. (legal)
I re entered on July 19th, and exited on July 30th. (legal)

I re entered on October 6th and excited on October 24th. (expired visa, but myself and federal police did not realise)

I was under the impression the tourist visa for Australians was 90 days (non consecutive- I was wrong) with the possibility of 90 day extension in a 360 day period.

When I tried to enter Brazil again on November 10th, (luckily only in transit) I was told I could not enter unless I got a new visa, and I had illegally entered and exited in October as my visa expired 90 days after my first entry (the federal police had no idea each previous time I had asked and had allowed me to enter, both of us believing my visa was correct, hence I entered with confidence and was surprised to hear this).
They didn't fine me or stamp me as the federal police made the error and I was told I could re enter the country on a new tourist visa, but they didn't know how many days I would be allowed to stay.

I am worried to purchase my new flights, to have a new visa denied. Is there any reason they would not give me a new tourist visa, for example is there a limit to applying for visas to enter the country? I have all my papers ready and will send in my application tomorrow or asap (I will fast track with a visa service).

I have only spent approximately 65 days in Brazil since my first entry.

Can anyone please clarify how my particular visa works. For example, how long can I stay for my next visit. I am guessing I can stay approx 110 days more in the 180 period since my visa started in April, but if I take a new visa I don't know how to calculate it. (I will check exact dates in my passport).

I am worried I won't be issued a new tourist visa?

Obrigado!!!

You need to look at the text at the bottom of your VITUR Tourist Visa, it may be that you actually received a 'single use only" 90 day visa as opposed to a 5 or 10 year, multiple entry visa that allows a 90 day stay which can be extended by a further 90 days upon request.

If the validity period is NOT specifically stated in the text at the bottom of the visa, then this is likely the case. See photo below:

http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/u531/wjwoodward/visa_zpsf0e45487.jpg

At any rate since it's already expired you need a new one, and it should only take around a week to issue. Make sure your passport will be valid for 6 months beyond the anticipated trip, otherwise you should apply for a new passport too.

Cheers,
James    Expat-blog Experts Team

I understand now, thanks for your help!

My visa was valid for 90 days, which I knew when I left but when I questioned multiple federal police officers on arrival and departure they told me it was 90 days within one year, so I started to believe them. I hope there is no issue getting a new tourist visa.

Obrigrado :)