Muskat joining

Dear sir,

I am a civil engineer & got offer from Muskat of 500 OMR. They offerd me 500 OMR+Free Bachlor accomodation.

Is it worth to join

hi, you haven't mentioned regarding your experience or any other thing like if the company is providing transportation or not or any other benefits.

but if your in-han amount is 500 OMR, you might be able to save upto 400 (if transportation is provided by the company), again this figure depends upon your lifestyle habits.

Transportation & bachlor accomodation will be provided by company.
I am B.E.Civil & having 15 years indian experience.

Some men shall always be more equal than others (with apologies to Orwell) !

I am given to understand , for Govt the minimum salary (for fresh Graduate and above) is OMR 900 and for non grads its 500. In private, this is OMR 350 for non grads or unskilled ones.

Does anyone know ...or can anyone throw some light ?

For a Civil Engineer with 15 years Experience,The salary offered is very low.Please think seriously before accepting the offer.

i have demanded 800 OR + Free Accomodation + Free Transport

sachin medhekar wrote:

i have demanded 800 OR + Free Accomodation + Free Transport

If I would have completed 15 years of engineering and if I had received this offer of OMR 500, I would have sent an extremely insulting email to the employer by letting him know the definition of an ENGINEER.

It seems to me that either you're not an engineer or probably you don't value your Engineering profession.  I apologize for being harsh but trust me Mr. Sachin, you guys just ruin the middle eastern Engineering job market by accepting these (below below average) salaries that further create problems for other Engineers to work in this part of the world.

Do you feel that demanding OMR 800 would add a value to your 15 years of engineering career ?  My answer is please rethink and if you can't judge yourself, don't ruin your professional life even. Certain people (Here) have half of your experience and they are taking 5 times higher the salaries with all the perks than what you have demanded. Its because they know their values being engineers and they know how to pursue a career oriented job.

I apologize again if i have offended, however since Im an engineer as well, I don't tolerate such posts.

Dear Sachin,

schaz has given the perfect answer. but after 15 years of experience with B.E., you min. salary should be atleast 2000 omr excluding all the benefits. i know a few engineers who are working for 1500 OMR after having about 10 years of experience. so, you can assume your minimum worth.

Thanks but one of my friend who is working there already in fact with his reference I have been interviewed. He told me although you have 15years experience as you don't have previous GCC experience they will treat you as a fresher. After completion on one term you will have good health salary

Sachin ,

It would be naive to believe after one year they will increase your salary befitting 15 years of experience if they start with OMR 800. Only If ....this is a part of the contract that you will sign , it could be a credible promise, or else, the increments are far less than what you see in India .

My take is , annual increments are around 3% .

In fact , in some cases , this is even mentioned in the offer letter ! Yes , you read it right ....it is mentioned in the offer letter itself !

Now , having read the opinions of the members , you are the best judge ...as to which path you would like to take.

Best Wishes

That is not true. i am a landscape architect with no previous experience and have total of 5.5 years of professional experience. but my experience is counted as 5.5 years and not as fresher. As like in any part of the world the practical experinece and knowledge matters the most, rather than a region.

but again this is my personal experience.

sachin medhekar wrote:

Thanks but one of my friend who is working there already in fact with his reference I have been interviewed. He told me although you have 15years experience as you don't have previous GCC experience they will treat you as a fresher. After completion on one term you will have good health salary

Sachin Sahb,

Either your friend is not aware of what "Professionalism" means or may be you're not confident enough on ur worth.

Secondly, don't expect any "Creative Engineering" works in this country. They have been following the procedures of 1970s or probably older in almost every industry (Even in oil and gas) and they're satisfied with it. So I must say that a person with even 3 years of experience can do wonders in this market. Hence, since you're an extremely experienced person, please know your worth and do not let them feel that engineers don't worth any.

Rest, as I said is your own choice.

Hi All,

M in talks with a local bank for RM position in muscat wherein they are ready to provide me OR 1225 aprox and M negotiating for OR 1750, M not sure of that whether its consolidated or not, just want to know will i be able to save enough as I habbit of good lifestyle though not lavish but yes I booze regularly but not daily Currently I ll be coming alone but surely would bring my wife once settled and what will be an average expense for 2 of us and what ll be rent for 2 bedroom furnished apartment in muscat and what is an average salary provided for the position offered.

Rgds
Jhony P

Jhonyp wrote:

Hi All,

M in talks with a local bank for RM position in muscat wherein they are ready to provide me OR 1225 aprox and M negotiating for OR 1750, M not sure of that whether its consolidated or not, just want to know will i be able to save enough as I habbit of good lifestyle though not lavish but yes I booze regularly but not daily Currently I ll be coming alone but surely would bring my wife once settled and what will be an average expense for 2 of us and what ll be rent for 2 bedroom furnished apartment in muscat and what is an average salary provided for the position offered.

Rgds
Jhony P

Please help yourself and read the enormous topics, pertaining to COL in Muscat. I'm sure you won't have any question remaining.

P.S, you're negotiating it rightly, however if the utilities and housing is added, the package would be decent.

i cant help you with the approximation of the salary, but yes can guide to derive lifestyle cost.

2 BHK apartment rent will be about 350-450 or more
general expenditure may be about 100-150 / month for a simple lifestyle.