Residential / Domestic / Non Residential Bills

Hi Everyone. I am wondering if anyone can help me on this one and give my Wife and I some advice on this matter .
We rented a property in Xemxija on 11.11.2014. We asked the landlady to fill in her portion of the 'H' Form when we moved in but she refused to do so, therefore for the first 3 x months January, February and March 2015. we were charged and paid Domestic / Non Residential + Nil Residents Tariff. After 3 x months in April. 2015. we were charged Residential + 2 x Residents until our final month in November. 2015. this was calculated by means of the Arms Portal Calculator read from the electricity and water meters in our rented property. When we paid our utility on our final month in November. we asked her for the original Arms Bill which she should have received at her home address, she told us that she had only received the estimated bill, I pointed out to her that for the first 3 x months of the year we were renting we had been on Domestic / Non Residential Nil Residents Tariff and we shouldn't have been she replied that because we had not yet received our e Residency I.D. Cards during these 3 x months arms had told her that we had to pay Domestic / Non Residential + Nil Residents Tariff even though she had copies of our passports, we cannot understand this because on 08.04.2015 the Tariff changed to Residential + 2 x Residents even though we didn't received or e Residency I.D. Cards until 15.04.2015 and 07.08.2015. respectively and she never asked whether or not we had received them. Is this landlady correct in what she says or not because she wont accept it. The fact is from 11.12.2014 to 08.01.2015. we paid E73.55. Non Residential when we should have paid E54.80. Residential a difference of E18.75.  From 08.01.2015 to 08.02.2015. we paid E90.37. Non Residential when we should have paid E56.28. Residential a difference of E34.09. On 08.02.2015. to 04.03.2015. we paid E85.69. Non Residential when we should have paid E62.24. Residential a difference of E23.45. all totaling up to E76.29. for the 3 x months. if this is not correct what can we do about it?  Can anyone help us on this one

Terry4646 wrote:

Hi Everyone. I am wondering if anyone can help me on this one and give my Wife and I some advice on this matter .
We rented a property in Xemxija on 11.11.2014. We asked the landlady to fill in her portion of the 'H' Form when we moved in but she refused to do so, therefore for the first 3 x months January, February and March 2015. we were charged and paid Domestic / Non Residential + Nil Residents Tariff. After 3 x months in April. 2015. we were charged Residential + 2 x Residents until our final month in November. 2015. this was calculated by means of the Arms Portal Calculator read from the electricity and water meters in our rented property. When we paid our utility on our final month in November. we asked her for the original Arms Bill which she should have received at her home address, she told us that she had only received the estimated bill, I pointed out to her that for the first 3 x months of the year we were renting we had been on Domestic / Non Residential Nil Residents Tariff and we shouldn't have been she replied that because we had not yet received our e Residency I.D. Cards during these 3 x months arms had told her that we had to pay Domestic / Non Residential + Nil Residents Tariff even though she had copies of our passports, we cannot understand this because on 08.04.2015 the Tariff changed to Residential + 2 x Residents even though we didn't received or e Residency I.D. Cards until 15.04.2015 and 07.08.2015. respectively and she never asked whether or not we had received them. Is this landlady correct in what she says or not because she wont accept it. The fact is from 11.12.2014 to 08.01.2015. we paid E73.55. Non Residential when we should have paid E54.80. Residential a difference of E18.75.  From 08.01.2015 to 08.02.2015. we paid E90.37. Non Residential when we should have paid E56.28. Residential a difference of E34.09. On 08.02.2015. to 04.03.2015. we paid E85.69. Non Residential when we should have paid E62.24. Residential a difference of E23.45. all totaling up to E76.29. for the 3 x months. if this is not correct what can we do about it?  Can anyone help us on this one

For the sake of 76€ over 3 months I would chalk it up to experience. Your bill for those three months of 250€ (£180.00) is still a lot less than a 3 month bill in the UK, for most people, for electric and water.

Unfortunately as things stand you have no recourse, you cannot force the landlord to fill in the form.

Pay it and move on, next time be wise and insist on residential rate, from the outset or don't sign.

Contact Patricia Graham via the "up in ARMS"  facebook page, she may have some better advice

.https://www.facebook.com/Up-in-Arms-481977608564329/

Terry

This is not the question I am asking. I am asking is the landlady is correct in what she has done. The money is not the point although if she had 10 x residents and she did this to each one she would gain E730 every 3 x months. If I owed her E73 she wouldn't think twice about asking me fo the money

"  we cannot understand this because on 08.04.2015 the Tariff changed to Residential + 2 x Residents even though we didn't received or e Residency I.D. Cards until 15.04.2015 and 07.08.2015. respectively and she never asked whether or not we had "

Who changed the tariff if it was not the landlady and who provided the meter readings at this point?

The requirement is for a EID or passport for form H

I can understand your frustration but landlords in Malta are not accountable to anyone.

Short of taking her to court, very expensive and long process, there is not much you can do.

Did you get official VAT recipes for your rent ?, if not a phone call to the tax office (or the threat ) may persuade her to be more reasonable.

Terry

Terry4646 wrote:

This is not the question I am asking. I am asking is the landlady is correct in what she has done. The money is not the point although if she had 10 x residents and she did this to each one she would gain E730 every 3 x months. If I owed her E73 she wouldn't think twice about asking me fo the money

At the end of the day if form H was not sent in signed by the landlord there is nothing you can do about it, she has not acted illegally, (you said she told you she would not) You had the option to send in the form without her agreement, based on your lease agreement and passport but you didn't, so you have no come back as far as I can see.
If she charged you after that first three months at the rate for 2 residents based on the ARMS bill calculator but had not actually had it changed on the account that is her business and was probably because she does not declare the rental income but she was giving you the lower rate and paying the difference herself!

There are dozens if not hundreds of posts on this subject on this Forum if you choose to look!

Ray