Is anyone moving to Bali in the next 6 months?

I will be retiring to Ubud early next year and would love to find a travelling companion or two.  I'm a fast thinker and quite fit, but I find I make better decisions in a group rather than on my own.  I'd prefer not to be alone when making this big step.  I did a similar thing 27 years ago when I left England behind to migrate to Australia and I know first hand how much easier it is with company.

Rose, if I might suggest, it could well be better for you that rather than seeking out “a traveling companion or two” that you concentrate on meeting other expats here in Ubud who have already gone through the process you are about to embark upon.

There are quite a number of expatriate Australians living in the Ubud area.

Where and how to meet them?

Here are just a few suggestions:

-Hash House Harriers.  You mention that you are fit, thus you might enjoy a good trek or run on a local Ubud Hash run.  Naughty Nuri's Warung is the home base for the Ubud Hash, and you can always stop by and pick up the latest Hash Run sheet and participate.

-Nuris is also a long established informal meeting place, hang out, as well as the Fly Café just up the road from Nuris.  At the Fly Café, every Friday night is “Quiz Night” and you'll always find many expats hanging out and having some fun including a number of Australians. 

-Ubud Rotary is another way to meet other expats, and moreover it affords the local expats with common goals to “give back” a bit of what they have come to enjoy from their lives here.

-The Bali Advertiser which is published bi-monthly, is free and can be found in most shops and restaurants.  In that phone book size tabloid you can find almost endless information about expat get togethers, activities and events covering all of Bali.

What you seek is already here, and unlike a traveling companion, what is here is in the position of having experience and knowledge that your fellow traveling companion will most likely, not have.

Cheers, and good luck!

Hi Ubudian
Thanks for your response.  Of course you're right.  i just find the idea of starting all over yet again very daunting, but that's never held me back before. 
I appreciate your suggestions too.  Maybe I'll bump into you over there next year.

It is daunting, but that's why the encouragement and advice of others who have been through it will be so helpful to you.

You'll find it very easy to make friends here!  :top: 

Cheers, and good luck!