I'm planning on moving to Lithuania

Hi, I'm a 21 year old student from California, currently I'm attending a community college to get my prerequisites done and planning to transfer to a university. I'm pursuing my studies to become an E.R. Doctor, but recently I've got the chance to visit Vilnius during June to July (1 month) in 2015; on a solo trip. During my time there I met a girl and now that I'm back in the USA, I'm wanting to go back and pursue my studies there (yes, I'm wanting to go back there to be with her  which may sound absolutely crazy to many). Although she doesn't want me wasting my opportunity of studying in USA because of the quality and that I could possibly get free education here, so, she isn't keen on me moving and doesn't believe it's possible, but I'm still willing to make the move. So my question is -

Are there any programs I could apply that would allow me to study in Lithuania e.g. Erasmus program?

Are there any scholarships I can apply that may pay for my studies there?

Is there another possible way I would be able to make this move or is she right, that such an idea is impossible?

In the process I would also like to become a Lithuanian citizen and work there as an E.R. Doctor if it's possible to pursue my studies there.

First, I have to say that it's foolish. You're young, and you need to have your heart torn out a few times more to make you more cautious. This girl is telling you no, and you're not listening to her. Even if she has nothing but good feelings about you, the guilt she will feel if you come to Lithuania may cause her to push you away.

Consider how life would be for you in Lithuania. As you know, the United States' healthcare system is bad, ranked at #37, just above Slovenia. However, Lithuania's healthcare system is atrocious, at #73, below Mexico and Nicaragua. In a Lithuanian E.R., the equipment is primitive, the staff is overworked, and the patients are mostly old, uncooperative drunks who puke and fall onto the ground. Wages for doctors are bad, so many leave for other countries.

Suicide and alcoholism rates here are sky high, which probably has something to do with the lack of sunlight in the winter. You definitely should escape every year at Christmas to visit your family in California.

You're at a community college, so when you transfer to a university, pick one that has a student exchange agreement with a Lithuanian medical school. I know that for economics, University of Northern Colorado has an exchange program with a Lithuanian university, but I don't know for med school. If you come here for a semester, you won't need to speak Lithuanian.

The easiest way to become a Lithuanian citizen is to marry a Lithuanian, live here for 7 years while applying each year for a 1 year residency permit (you need a job or money, even if married), and then you can take a citizenship knowledge test (about the constitution) and show that you can speak Lithuanian, and that's it. You will lose your American citizenship. You will still have to pay taxes to America for 10 years afterwards. You can't be double-taxed in theory, but if you're self-employed you still have to pay for social security (pension), which you won't get when you're old, because you won't be American. Recently, Lithuania has reinstated the military draft, so you might qualify once a citizen! Check with a lawyer or research on the Internet, in case I am mistaken about any of this.

The better course of action is to convince this girl to come to America. You could start by flying her there for 90 days, which requires no visa, so she can see what it's like. For her to get a green card, you'd probably have to marry her, but that is not so crazy as what you have proposed. U.S. residency requirements are much lower if you get married in America compared to abroad. She can live and work in America for up to 2 years while her application is being processed. However, you have to realize that she's going to be bombarded by American men trying to steal her from you.

Finally, this will sound heartless, but remember that there are many fish in the sea. It's not just this Lithuanian woman who is beautiful and sweet. Most of them are.

Firstly, I would like to say thank you very much Michael_H for your very thorough reply. Yes, she's saying no due to reasons of she's not wanting me to miss my opportunities here in the USA and she is very genuine with her feelings of care, and I'm not sure if you're a wizard! But you are very spot on about the guilt, which is what is preventing her from ever saying 'yes'.

Ah, yes, I'm aware of the healthcare system rankings, as she even described to me the conditions, and equipment they use there in Lithuania. Also, how many Lithuanians leave after their studies to pursue better job opportunities in other countries such as Germany, Sweden, and mainly England. Although, the reason why I would like to become an E.R. doctor is to help people, I'm not in the business of making large amounts of money, I would like to think of myself of falling in the small percentage of doctors that have an authentic care for their patients and only strive to work in their interest of getting better. The pay means nothing to me as long as I have just enough to support myself and my future spouse, seeing how saving a life would be the greatest feeling I would obtain in my pursuit of that career.

I see that suicide and alcoholism rates are pretty high in Eastern Euro countries, and I also do believe its due to lack of sunlight during the winter as you stated. Oh, so there are some universities that have an exchange program with Lithuanian universities, I'll search around for those that offer med. school (if there is any).

I remember reading the requirements a couple of months ago on becoming a Lithuanian citizen, and I thought it was pretty extreme, mainly the length/process. And I will definitely research more about the military draft you've talked about, as being drafted into the army; especially when I'm going for my M.D. license will not be ideal at all.

Hmm, I will also give your advice a go. I'll ask if she would like to visit America, since I do agree, it isn't as crazy compared to the idea I had in mind, which I did acknowledge myself that it's pretty crazy, but it was something I was willing to do. I wouldn't doubt at all if other American men try to steal her away, although she's a very, very, loyal person from what I have gotten to see, so I wouldn't need to worry about those "Murican' men"

I don't think it sounds heartless at all, as that saying does hold some truth, that there are other fishes but another half of me sits with the idea of, there is only one person like her in the world, and that is her. Many of them are indeed sweet as well, it just so happens that she's the one that captivated me.

In a way, I believe I needed to read something like this, to help bring me back to reality. I still hope that she would end up in my future, but only time would tell.  -- Again, I am truly grateful for your reply.