Moving to London from Portugal

Hey Whats up :)  I am currently living in Portugal where I have been for the last 14 years, I am a Portuguese citizen and also an Australian citizen. After recent events in Portugal I have decided that It's time for myself to branch out and I am very keen on a move to London, I have a close friend of mine too, he is only Portuguese who would be coming along with me as he too is extremely interested in an opportunity at a better life.

Basically what are the steps required for us to be able to arrive in London and start job searching? I am aware that we would require an insurance number, is our EU ID card enough for us to travel to London? we would require a permanent address in order to obtain an Insurance number correct? along with a bank account I presume. subsidies for rent? public transport? Health Insurance/health care? English lessons or tutoring for my friend for example as his is not 100%

Is there any financial assistance provided for Portuguese workers once they obtain a Insurance Number? Also employment assistance, help finding a job best suited for us for example. I would also like to know about opportunities to create and open a business.

Best regards.

EU citizens have the right to live and work in the UK; this link tells you how to go about getting an National Insurance number; word of warning - having one doesn't entitle you to anything; you just need it to get a job.

Jobs are not so easy; if you want a decent job, then you'll need skills/qualifications and be able to read/write in English.  That said, recent statistics tell us that many mainland Europeans are coming to the UK to work, so it can't be that hard.

There are no special financial assistance schemes for Portuguese citizens, you can stay for up to 3 months, after that, you have to be in work; or actively seeking work with a genuine chance of being hired; or be able to show you have enough money not to be a burden on public services. Evidence of benefit abuse or fraud is grounds to exclude or expel a person.  If you turn up at the Social Services asking for social money, you will have to pass the "habitual residence test", if you don't pass that, you'll get nothing from the State.

So, if you and your friend have no skills and no money, you both need to think again.

First off, thanks for taking some time and responding to my queries.

Naturally I don't intend on using the social system as a means of getting cash, naturally on using any benefits, from what I've researched I'm eligible  for JSA (Job Search Allowance) if I'm not mistaken. But my intent if 100% on working and then having no need for any social allowances for job searching, perhaps for rent assistance.

I did mention London however if there are better cities suited to start off, please do recommend and explain as I am definity open to suggestions and ideas.

In terms of skills naturally I am unable to speak for my friend however I am aware that he does have a lot of experience in restaurants and bares, serving tables etc. As for myself, I have worked in various areas, from Apple Call Center, to Translator English/Portuguese, bar and waitress too, even in supermarkets.. basically im willing totally to start from the bottom and work my way up.

London is very expensive, but probably easier to find the kind of work you've mentioned; just you'll never earn enough doing that to live there - unless you find a squat to live in.  Probably better to look up in the northern cities (Leeds/Manchester).  It looks like you can apply for JSA after you've been here for 3-months, there's a link here about it; you will only get it for 6 months.  Word of warning; you go through hoops to qualify (you have to prove that you'll be able to find work that pays enough and provide evidence that you have been looking), then if you do something they don't like, they stop it.