Cost of Diabetic care for type 1 Diabetes

Dear Members,

I am planning to move to Brussels. Could you please let me know any information regarding the diabetic care cost for type 1 Diabtes, mainly the cost of insulin injecting pens(That is what we use currently) in Brussels. Would that be covered under medical insurance?

Thanks & Warm Regards,
Jenny

Hello,

Take  contact with the belgian diabetes association,  they will provide you with  the latest informations.

http://www.idf.org/membership/eur/belgi … du-diabete

Thank you

You may also get in touch with the expat helpdesk of insurance providers (paterna or DKV) to ask this question.

Sure Aneesh, Thank you.

Hi Aneeshks,

It is not necessarily good idea because they're private health insurance. It is better to go through the association. Like that depending the gravity of diabetic status, all medications can be free or almost free.

And it is partena not paterna...

ok. I have already sent an email to the association , awaiting their reply.

phipiemar wrote:

Hi Aneeshks,

It is not necessarily good idea because they're private health insurance. It is better to go through the association. Like that depending the gravity of diabetic status, all medications can be free or almost free.

And it is partena not paterna...

Sorry my typo.. I meant partena (ex Euromut). I am not sure if OP will be covered by belgian mutuality or by a private insurance (Depending on the type of move - local job or a temporary assignment)..

I cannot help you with cost of insulin pens but I know someone with a pump and that is completely free, the person has a Belgian mutuelle. I'd imagine the pens which are cheaper to buy would be similar.

Hi, I hope I am not too late in giving the response. I am also suffering from a chronic illness - kidney failure. This means that I am on dialysis treatment twice a week. My treatment is far more expensive than the treatment of type 1 diabetes (I know because many kidney patients are also suffering from diabetes). My illness was already there before I entered Belgium, so of course it was a pre-existing condition.

This is what I did- I registered myself at the commune as soon as possible. They gave me a paper saying my registration was in processing. I took this paper to the government mutuelle and they issued health insurance from the day this paper was printed. But it was not enough for me because I had already received 2 weeks of very expensive treatment before I got this paper from the commune.

SO, the mutuelle suggested that if I can get a paper which says that I was my husband's co-habitant from xyz date, then they can back date my health insurance to the day I started living in Brussels with my husband. And that's when we went to a government office to get this co-habitation paper which stated the right date. The mutuelle then changed my health insurance cover to cover the day since I landed.

Everyone in these offices was made aware of the gravity of my illness and the enormous costs of it, plus I had a letter from my doctor at the hospital to go with it. That's why they processed some things faster on humanitarian grounds.

I hope this helps. Now my tea is getting cold, so toodle-pip :)!

I don't have enough words to thank you. It was really helpful and thank you once again.

Hello Jenny,

Read your post and was curios to know if you moved to BEL and managed to seek the diabetic care here. My wife is also a diabetic on insulin treatment, so wanted to know if you could provide some useful information from your experience.

Thanks

As mentioned already, if you with a Belgian mutuelle, diabetes costs are paid for in full.

Hi Jenny! i know that there is alog time but your answer would be reaaly usefull for me! i am diabeticts I and i am thinking about moving to Brussels next year. So, could you answer your question ?
how about Free Style Libre?
best regards
Thiago

thifs wrote:

Hi Jenny! i know that there is alog time but your answer would be reaaly usefull for me! i am diabeticts I and i am thinking about moving to Brussels next year. So, could you answer your question ?
how about Free Style Libre?
best regards
Thiago

Dear,

This topic is inactive since 3 years. It's better to open a new one. But please refer also to post N°2, so like that you will be in touch with belgian association for diabetic people.