Fishing Reels

At the suggestion of someone in Belize I'm going to grab a reel (or 2) before I come. They've said rods are easy and cheap in Belize so I'll get that when I get in.

I've been looking at reels and the one thing I'm unsure of is the size.

I fished like crazy growing up back when Mitchel Garcia the equipment to have. Now they are relics and there are hundreds of models and every size imaginable.

I've been leaning toward a 4000 - 5000 level but thought you might have some experience to share on this. Or is it best to get one 3000 and then a heavy duty one? Been looking at Shimano, Penn & the new KastKings (awefully good reviews but lesser known). The Pen Presidential seems pretty decent. Shimano has so many models it makes me dizzy.

Metal body or Graphite?

Any info would really help me out. Time is growing near (12 days to go) so I'm trying to finish up buying stuff to bring. Thanks Bob

I have a number of Shimano reels, and they are all I use anymore-at least for the last 7 years. My favorite is probably the Spirex RG, but I also use a Sienna and a Sonora, all of which are excellent reels and well worth the money. You can buy from Amazon or Cabellas, or at Bass Pro Shop., priced from $30-$125 depending on specifics (more $ at Bass Pro). I use them fishing for speckled trout, flounder, redfish, sheepshead, pompano, and anything else that is willing to take my bait. Never had any issues with any of them, but I also rinse my saltwater reels really well after every use. Good luck, and I hope you catch some fish!

Thanks for the info. Any advice on size(s) to get? I've mostly been looking at the 3000 - 5000 range

My Sonoras are 4000 - mostly for off-shore fishing,  but my Sienna and Spirex reels are medium-heavy, probably would have a 2000-3000 designation but they aren't all labelled that way. Depends on how big of fish you are targeting as to what you need. My Spirex reels don't have any problems with 25 # redfish, and the 6.2:1 gear ratio makes the retrieve quick! I haven't fished in Belize yet, but I plan to this spring.

Thanks that's exactly what I was after. I think I'm going to go with a 4000 and something around 2000 or 2500

You will be fishing both salt water and fresh water, as such several sizes are needed.  Each size reel requires its own size rod.  I helped run a tackle shop in Ft Lauderdale and it is common for guys to have 10 to 15 rod/reel rigs. you arent helpful enough to give a budget but PENN and Shimano are center of the bell curve.  PENN senators are popular for larger fish.   The best reels are accurate or avet but parts will not be possible in Belize.  spend some time at capt harrys website and you will learn what the popular reels in any category are.  Since the recession a lot of guys are selling their stuff on ebay and craigslist so look there

http://www.captharry.com/categories2/Bi … ls/23.html

I have a small tackle shop in Mexico and do a lot of fishing. My favorite offshore reels are Avet's, I have fished just about every reel peen makes but my personal favorite are Avets. For a spinning reel I would go with a Penn Battle ll. If you get one off ebay make sure it is a Penn Battle ll not just a Penn Battle. They have a variety of sizes and are in the $100 range depending on the size.

PENN Battle is very popular reel but entry level.  Accurates are a step up from Avets.   shimano calcutta, bait runners and stradics are popular   pay attention to suitability for salt or fresh water.  spend time at shimano and PENN website learning about them.  braid line is very popular now but not suitable for older reels without a mono backer.

I was hoping to keep the cost of reels below $100 each and figured on buying 2 to begin with. Even though I was an avid fisherman for many years it was so long ago I'd consider myself maybe just a bit above a novice at this point. One of the problems now, that we didn't have then, is the number of models / sizes available from each manufacturer and the minute amount of info they give on each so comparing one model to another (even from same co) is difficult.

I haven't fished Belize so really don't know what I'll be going after. In the beginning will be just finding out what's available and then what I like. In the past I did a lot of both salt & fresh water. Salt was mainly boat fishing, some pier, some barge bottom stuff. Fresh water I seem to like fishing from shore or small boat - never much for wading around and no experience with true fly fishing.

Not sure what else I can say info wise. It definitely seems Shimano and Penn lead the pack popularity wise and a zillion models each.

Last night I was reading about the Penn Battle II and the Spinfisher V.  Do most folks use metal bodies or graphite?

I've heard poles are pretty easy and inexpensive to get there. Nothing much gained by getting them here. That your experience?

Wish I had time to hit stores and play with them but, with only 10 days till I leave no time for that. :)

no clue RE: metal/graphite.  What is more important is get a newer reel if you will use braid as they are made for it.  your price range suggests lower end stuff and no desirs to be serious.  flats fishing is popular in belize so plan on learning fly fishing with a guide when you get there.  maybe take a couple reels with you and pick up some from people going back up north.

Well, I went to the store and played with some reels and I'm getting a Shimano Spheros SW6000 an a Penn Battle II 2500. That should at least give me a start.

Love the comment about having no desire to get serious because I'm not spending a bunch of money on reels to get started with. I call it not wasting money on high end stuff until I have enough experience to make solid decisions. It was a good laugh though.

C Y'all next week......

That's okay you're not the first fisherman to start out with crap. Good luck finding parts in Belize

The Penn Battle II got great comments on the site (Captain Harry's) you referred me to and is on his list of reels. It's new and upgraded over the Battle. As for the Shimano Spheros SW, it is at least equal in quality and performance to the Shimano reels you recommended. Again, it's a newer version and specifically made for Salt Water with great reviews. The Spheros SW was recommended at both shops where I went to look at reels.

thats excellent they are upgrading their product.  the value of new reels is you can use braid on them. There is a lot of great fishing in Belize so you should have some good meals.  Do some flats fishing with a guide to learn about it. Flats fishing is big down there. The reels you bought are great for inshore salt but too small for pelagic.  pelagic is often done as a charter which will provide gear so you wont need it unless you buy a boat.  Perhaps the locals use a yo yo like the Cubans do, another technique to learn.  The main feature of a good reel is the number and type of bearings. Should you really get into fishing you will want probably 6 to 8 rod/reel set ups like I said earlier.

All of the different types of fishing you mention are the biggest reason I didn't want to spend a lot. At this point I don't know what type or what fish I'll really enjoy. Then I can buy the right reels for the right type of fishing. I've been doing a lot of reading about the newer features compared to old. It does seem they make a big deal of some things that were common way back when but coming back now. Pretty much what happens in all industries.

One thing it seems the industry has done which makes choosing that much harder is to have a ton of models some of which the differences are so small it seems a bit ridiculous. Of course, here in the US we once only had 4 real makers of cars where as now there are hundreds of models to choose from.

Definitely doing all the research into reels and rods has added more excitement to the move. So many things I really enjoyed had gone by the way side because so many other things seemed important at the time. Now, it's a chance to get back to the things in life I really like rather than have to do.

Something I just thought of.  find out who repairs reels in your area and have them sell you the parts most likely to fail on those reals or wear out you're going to need them. Pay close attention to how to lube the real and how to clean the real after you've used it that will be important in an area where repair is difficult

I ordered a second spool for the Penn. Have to find one for the spheros. I've hard they can go bad real quick and it's also good to have another loaded with different line. Any other parts that tend to go bad a lot or quickly? I still have time for a trip to the store.

Is it best to pickup line, tackle and/or some tools (fishing) to bring or can they be had there at reasonable prices?

Find a competent real repair guy around you those are new rules I don't have a lot of experience with but sometimes screws get lost out of them that sort of thing there's something to be said for taking tackle with you and there's something to be said for waiting to you get there and talk to people you will need to learn what fishing will be close by to your house