In process of Pacs, visa ending dec 17

I've been here 9 months but we decided to pacs relatively late. My boyfriend is French and I'm American.

We're getting our pacs this week and have all our papers organized although I won't be eligible for a CDS yet as we haven't lived together/proof of living together a year.

Problem is, I still haven't received my appointment from the prefecture to change my visa status and it's now just about 5 weeks away....

Any thoughts on extensions, etc. would be hugely appreciated as I'm trying I prepare for all scenarios.

Best,

Hana

Hana, I'm confused, why are you waiting for the prefecture to give you an appointment?  Am I missing understanding your post?  I'd get online to request an rdv asap as it can take weeks to get an appointment with the new system.  I assume you have an appointment at the tribunal for signing your PACS this week and all your paperwork has already been approved?

We had a problem last year with getting paperwork (my partner's birth certificate) so I was 1.5 weeks late with my renewal and was told by my prefecture that they allow up to two weeks late without consequences.  I've had friends also go late due to various issues and they've all been told the same thing.  It also seems that because of the new appointment system they are being even more lax about it right now but I don't know that officially.

I'm American, live in Lyon and PACsé.  I've been in France for 5 years and also didn't get PACsé right away so my situation was similar.  Let me know if you have any questions.

Hey, thanks so much for your post/response! That's of some comfort that maybe there's a little wiggle room. I have requested the rendezvous online for a visa status change but just haven't here anything yet so I'm getting nervous.

We were waiting on birth certificate as well - mine from the US because I had a legal name change as an infant but my birth certificate was never updated.

As it stands now, we are getting our pacs with a notaire on nov. 28 and I am waiting for the rendezvous... Not sure what to do if the rendezvous date is after my visa expires except show up in person beforehand and try for an extension/recipisse.

I haven't found clear info on which files to take with me to the appointment where I change status from student to long term CDS. Any help/advice here would be enormously appreciated!

Thanks for chiming in. I wish I'd gotten on the forum earlier.

Hana
Paris

Hi Hana,

Sure!  I remember going through this myself and how intense it all is.  It seems that the website for Paris says you need to call for an RDV for your situation, not request online.  Maybe that's why you haven't heard back?  See info I've posted below, found for Paris.  I'd also go to the Prefecture, if that's an option (might be different in Paris than here in Lyon) to request the list of files required. Or ask the notaire if they can provide it asap.  It's pretty extensive but I'm guessing similar to what you need to file the paperwork with the notaire.  I will look at mine and send you my list but the requirements can vary by location so it's best to get your own list. 

See :
"http://www.prefecturedepolice.interieur.gouv.fr/Demarches/Particulier/Ressortissants-etrangers/Titre-de-sejour/Changement-de-statut#ancre-0-2
••Vous êtes étudiant et vous souhaitez obtenir un titre de séjour autre qu'étudiant, salarié ou commerçant (toutes nationalités y compris communautaires)
••Prenez obligatoirement rendez-vous  en téléphonant au Standard SDAE. Vous en trouverez les coordonnées dans notre rubrique « Contacts ».

Under Nous Contacter
Standard SDAE : 01 56 95 26 80 ( de 9h à 16h du lundi au vendredi  )
Renseignements et prise de rendez vous (uniquement renouvellement)

My list says, for the 1st demand:

For you specifically:
- 4 photos
- Passport
- Birth Certificate
- Proof of your residence, dated less than 3 months

Then additional requirements regarding you both:

- ID for your partner (passport, national card)
- Presence of your partner
- Receipt for registering your PACS with the Tribunal
- PACS Certificate from Le Greffe du TGI de Paris
- Documents proving your life together, month by month, for one year (invoices, bank records)

Thank you so much!

My prefecture is in Bobigny because I actually live right outside of Paris proper in Montreuil and when I've emailed, the office has told me to fill out a form online and expect a rendezvous in 20 days. I did this about 2 weeks ago and still haven't received but maybe it's ok. I'll try to call for an appointment tomorrow, too. Thanks for being so clear and helpful!

Hana

Hi,

Don't worry:)
If you haven't got yet the appointment convocation I think you must persist to get it, call the prefecture or go there to mentionthem that you still wait for the convocation.

for the CDS it takes time so they will give you a recepicé once or twice for 3 months périod untill they dicide.

The most imortant for the moment is to have the RDV at the prefecture.

good luck:)

Marine

Thanks so much! I'm in the process of this, just cannot get through to anyone on phone at Bobigny but going there in person to try this week!

Thank you. It's hard not to get upset / worries when it involves love and my life here. I appreciate all the support.

Hana

Yes, persistence is key!  Just keep calling or going there until you get answers.  It's best to be proactive with this kind of thing as otherwise you'll find you missed your chance.  Good luck Hana!  Hope all is ok where you are.