Cheap Taxi

Hi guys, I don't know if something like this I acceptable or not on here but I am sure I will find out. :) Taxi services in Bahrain are extremely expensive and a lot try and rip you off for as much as they can get from you. If you, like me, have had enough I would just like to inform you about an app called UBER. Easily downloaded and used in Bahrain as well as in may other country's around the world.

UBER is a taxi app that is quick and easy to download and set up on your phone, all you require is either a paypal account or bank account, phone number and email address. It is extremely popular in the USA and the UK and is now in Bahrain as well. This app allows you to simply open the app click "request taxi" and enter your destination within seconds. You will then be able to see your driver on the map maneuver to your location, he will then call you to tell you he has arrived to pick you up and take you to your destination with no hidden charges. Once you arrive you simply get out and walk away with no money changing hands as it will be directly transferred from your account to them. Moments later you will receive an email showing the route taken and how much you have been charged.

I have found that it is up to 60% cheaper than any other taxi in Bahrain and would highly recommend it. If you use the promo code : olis138ue you will receive a BD4 free taxi to use at any time.

If you have any further questions ask me or do your own research regarding UBER.

A friend from SA told me about it recently. It's also linked to the entertainer app which is also awesome

It is well worth getting. When I first arrived I spent BD12 on a taxi from the airport to my accommodation. It now cost me BD4-5 to get to and from the airport. If you use my code "olis138ue" you will get a free ride.

How about if going to work ,in a week I spend 15 bd just for fare..Any suggestion. .

Is that 15 for one week?
Curious to know but what's the approximate distance for the day you travel for the price?
I found the taxi in Dubai is very cheap.....compared to Europe anyway!

Depends how far you travel to work I guess. UBER is up to 60% cheaper on short or long journeys compared to local taxis and with the code "olis138ue" you will get your first ride free. Win win situation.

I too found Uber to be a cost-effective option. But not sure for how long the powers-that-be will let it run.

Carl  they charge you 3bd per way ..

Wow....your spending a lot!

After my last gouging on a taxi from the airport to Riffa I tried Uber.  Was 4 instead of 14 so I can recommend it if you get a well-rated driver.

Unfortunately I happen to think Farhaz may be right, so enjoy it while you can!

Lets hope they don't get rid of Uber, its saved me a lot of money already but if they do I heard Speedy Motors is also a cheap taxi service.

What's  the number of speedy motor?

​Speedy Motors number is +973 1768 2999. They still charge similar rates to other taxis so should end up being only slightly cheaper. UBER is a lot cheaper, up to 60% cheaper ive found.

You can find private transportation providing people in less price
Taxi people they charge very high rate

Hope you guys aren't having all the problems with UBER that we're having here in Brazil.

The TAXI MAFIA here in Brazil has put so much pressure on municipal governments that they're all scrambling to enact bylaws outlawing UBER operations.

Here in Brazil at least it seems that the consumer can never get a break, neither can the poor schlock trying to earn an honest living without being part of the Taxi Mafia.

Cheers,
James     Expat-blog Experts Team

As I mentioned on another post; the one thing I hate about Bahrain (vs. Dubai where I lived previously) is the cost and availability of taxis.

If you take Bahrain taxi from the airport to Riffa views where I live; it can end up costing you 14-16 BD.  This is a rip-off as three times the distance in Dubai would cost me at max 6-7 BD.

Uber is good but it usually does not show cars in Riffa views area most times. That has changed in the last few days.  But then again, I am pretty sure that it will be shut down.  Already the Bahrain taxi association is protesting against Uber and when you consider that the drivers are all locals; you know which way that will go.

Speedy Taxi has similar rates BUT with a big difference.  They have nice clean cars with professional drivers vs. the standard Bahrain taxi which is a hit and miss affair in terms of car conditions and drivers (most of whom are rip-off artists and love to add amounts on top of meter fare).

I agree the taxi rates here are borderline outrageous.  It doesn't seem right paying the equivalent to about $44USD for me to take a ride home to Riffa from the city or airport.

I also am never very confident taxi's will show up when you request them in advance.  Have had one or two scramble situations trying to get to the airport for one of those great 2am flights when no taxi showed up.

All things being the same, and with UBER likely a dying service here in Bahrain, I will definitely keep the number of Speedy Taxi handy, as it sounds like a better option.

Farhaz wrote:

I too found Uber to be a cost-effective option. But not sure for how long the powers-that-be will let it run.

I would ban it, along with every other app that required permissions it doesn't need to run.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1515/23578204053_26b0393a15_m.jpg

Why do they want to access your camera, photos, private files  and all that other stuff they have no need of to run their service?
If you have a text file with personal details, or private information, you're given them the right to access them.

NOT A HOPE.

There is no way in this wide world I'd allow an app like that onto my phone, and I'd suggest everyone do the same.

Fred wrote:

Why do they want to access your camera, photos, private files  and all that other stuff they have no need of to run their service?
If you have a text file with personal details, or private information, you're given them the right to access them.

Hi Fred,
Have you ever had the app and used it yourself?
From reading you comment it sounds like you have not as if you had used the app you would realize why it asks for these permissions.
-The camera/photo access is in order to take/select a photo of yourself for your profile in order for the driver to recognize you when they are picking you up.
-The msg/contacts is in order to send your contacts your discount code (if you wish).
-I'm not sure why they have access to "phone" I presume that is so they can call you when the taxi has arrived.
-Location, self explanatory really as they need to pick you up :)

Also what device are you using to try and download the app? as I declined access to all of these, until I got into the app and then it asks me to enable them as and when it needs to access it.

If you are concerned about your privacy, which is completely valid, you can use Uber directly from a browser or use a recent function developed for SMS. 

There are a lot of discussions right now about why Uber requests these permissions and whether or not they use them - and people will fall on either side of the debate I am sure.  However, that isn't why I am posting...hopefully this will help some people who are not able to or decide not to download the Uber app.

First link:
TextBer - Order an Uber ride through text (SMS).  No App required.

***I have not verified if the first link works in Bahrain- you can order Uber by sending a text after registering with TextBer.  Hopefully someone will let us know if they try it.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ellenhuet/2 … e-textber/

Second Link:
The Uber browser site to order a ride.  No App required (you do not have to enable locations, you can enter it manually).

Go to http://m.uber.com
Your browser will ask you to provide location services.
A pop-up blocker may prevent Uber from locating you, so either disable pop-ups for uber.com or you may manually enter your location.
From here you can sign in or register for a new account and order your ride

***You do need to have an Uber account to sign into this - you can create one here:
https://get.uber.com/sign-up/

Hopefully this helps some people.

yeesh... I wish the people who winge about privacy permissions on apps would get into app development or at least talk to a developer. There are many legitimate coding reasons (not to mention Google Play official reasons) why an app may have to have these permissions.

But the US government definitely brought down the WTC towers...  :cool:

OL1 wrote:

Hi Fred,
Have you ever had the app and used it yourself?
From reading you comment it sounds like you have not as if you had used the app you would realize why it asks for these permissions..

Once I'd got to the screenshot above, I refused it.

Identity - Ok, I can see why they'd need that
Contact says, "Uses contact information". not you using it. I can see how that could be control by you, but you give permission for them to use it. Why do they need that?
Location - Fair enough
SMS - Look at the scroll down, they're asking permission to send SMS messages without your control. Why do they need this?
Phone - The same - They're asking to allow them control of dialling out. (See scroll down) Why do they need this?
Allows them to assess and use ALL files, including on your SD card - They can get stuffed on that one. My phone has sensitive information and this allows them full access to it. NO ONE GETS THAT.
Camera - Uses the device's camera.  Why not just upload a photo, not allow them total access to your phone's camera?
WIFI - They want access to ALL your wifi info - Why do they need that to call a taxi?

Not only have you given them permission to access anything on your phone, but they can send SMS, take pictures and turn the video on whilst you're with that sheep, then access the video files from your phone and upload to their database.

Why would anyone allow that sort of access to their phone?

suburbansam wrote:

There are many legitimate coding reasons

Please cite any valid reason a taxi app needs to have access to the files on your SD card or send an SMS from your phone.
Why do they need to read your phonebook?

I don't know what device you have but on my iPhone it only asks for access to location contacts and wifi only when needed. So they don't have access all the time for me anyway, checked in my phone settings and it has no access to my phone. Im sure you can use Uber without accepting to these things, as mentioned above there is a website you can order taxis with them. You could try allowing access and then once downloaded stopping the access in your phone settings? Just a thought if you were keen to see what it was like, or just delete it afterwards
I have being using Uber for almost 4 years now and never had a problem with the app or company as a whole with regard to security. The only such issue has been a poor driver (taking a long route when not knowing where they are going) which I have been reimbursed immediately.
Everyone is entitled to there opinion, but I love this app and its saved me a lot over the years.

You've never had a problem you know about.
The Android version asks for everything in the screenshot and you can't pick which one you allow.
There is absolutely no reason Uber needs to be able to read your private files, but this app allows then to do so.

http://www.cultofmac.com/304401/ubers-a … y-malware/

Digging into the apps code, GironSec discovered the Uber app calls home and sends data back to Uber. This isnt typical app data, though. Uber has access to users entire SMSLog even though the app never requests permission. It also accesses call history, Wi-Fi connections used, GPS locations and every type of device ID possible.

The app even checks your neighbors Wi-Fi and retrieves info on the routers capabilities, frequency and SSID. News of the apps vulnerability was first posted on Hacker News with the charming intro, TLDR: Ubers Android app is literally malware. One developer commenting on the revelation said there isnt any reason for Google not to immediately remove this app from the store permanently and ban whatever developer uploaded it. There should probably be legal action.....

.....Sen. Al Franken sent a letter to Uber CEO Travis Kalanick last week demanding the company account to the public for its data gathering. The letter came as a response to a recent controversy where an Uber executive threatened to spy on and blackmail journalists who wrote unfavorable articles about the company. Ubers God View tool, which gives company insiders unlimited access to riders data, has also been a cause of concern in recent weeks.

Gosh, I'm right - Uber are data sucking.
For that reason, I strongly recommend no one all a company access to ALL their private information.

Would you care to comment?

Fred wrote:

Please cite any valid reason a taxi app needs to have access to the files on your SD card or send an SMS from your phone.
Why do they need to read your phonebook?

Talking to one of my friends, who is an app developer, has said that:
The app may want access to the SD card so that it can store, read or delete its own data. The main reason for this is for storing information on the SD card instead of taking up your phone memory.
The only thing that they can do with your SMS is send text/picture errors or messages to the app developers on your behalf in order for them to see how you are using the app and improve it. :)
hope that clears it up for you.

OL1 wrote:

[
The only thing that they can do with your SMS is send text/picture errors or messages to the app developers .

No, they can send messages to anyone they decide, and raid the contents of your SD card at will.

After failing that explanation, perhaps you can try to explain the data sucking.

Oh dear, it seems they're not just data sucking, but they're tracking users' every move.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill … -pleasure/

Not for me, thanks.

Yea I remember this coming out, it was like 2014 and all the things they found that the app were taking were all called "for security to prevent fraud" but the main problem people were having was they were getting access to this data without asking the user, on the Android version of the app. As I've said previously I can turn off the right of access to all of these things on my iPhone unlike android (never had an android phone so taking your word for it :) ) So I think it is more a problem for the app on android phones than IOS phone. Personally I don't think that they are doing anything with the data they suck that puts me in danger. If you haven't got anything to hide that is.

OL1 wrote:

Personally I don't think that they are doing anything with the data they suck that puts me in danger. If you haven't got anything to hide that is.

I have got things to hide.
I have some very sensitive documents on my phone, not to mention copies of my passport and a lot of other stuff various people would like to get hold of.

There is usually enough stuff on our phones to pry into our lives, but these people (Along with any others who do the same) can get access to the lot if you allow those permissions.
Stored emails from banks, date of birth and other details thieves can use to steal your cash, and all available at will to people who have demonstrated no consideration to their customers.

Data sucking is bad news, so should never be excused.
I repeat - I very strongly suggest this app not be downloaded and, if you have, remove it immediately.

Fred wrote:

Aaaahhhhh... the best kind of problems to have!  :top:

I still say the US govt did it! ... and they probably made the Uber app too... sneaks...  :/

suburbansam wrote:
Fred wrote:

Aaaahhhhh... the best kind of problems to have!  :top:

Unless they have your bank and credit card details and you don't know.

suburbansam wrote:

I still say the US govt did it! ... and they probably made the Uber app too... sneaks...  :/

When an argument is lost, always attempt a bad joke.

Fred wrote:

Well they do have your card details that's how they charge you for the taxi?   :lol:

OL1 wrote:
Fred wrote:

Well they do have your card details that's how they charge you for the taxi?   :lol:

See the last line of post 32.

Access to ALL your files allows them to read any and all personal information on your phone.
My advice remains - don't download, and dump it if you already have it.

What about safety?
In India Uber's have become sooo common and the best part is the safety. The app has an option of selecting “help” in case of any emergency which dials police immediately (this option is there for the drivers as well as for the travelers). Anything like that in the Uber here? Anyone faced any issues of bad drivers?

It's good here. No help option, but it's good. Bahrain also has a service / app called Careem where you can opt to pay cash.

Mikashaa wrote:

What about safety?
In India Uber's have become sooo common and the best part is the safety. The app has an option of selecting “help” in case of any emergency which dials police immediately (this option is there for the drivers as well as for the travelers). Anything like that in the Uber here? Anyone faced any issues of bad drivers?

I have had a few experiences with bad drivers on both uber and careem.  But keep in mind that what we mean by "bad" here is very different from what might be the case in other parts of the world.  Bad here means rude drivers or unsafe driving habits but not necessarily a driver posing a threat to your personal safety like assault etc - GCC countries are generally very safe in that aspect.

In my experience, when I complain to customer services, the issue is taken care of very quickly.  I have found careem to be much much much better than uber in this part of the world especially from customer service perspective and options (can pay cash, can top up and have credit in account, link to and redeem with Emirates miles etc).  I once left some items in a careem car and the driver came over next day to hand them back - he called every single customer he had that night to find out who had left those items.  I didn't even know they were missing!