'Brummie' Accent Concern for French Expat!

Moderated by Christine 8 years ago
Reason : removed-asked by the author

They have variations of that accent pretty much across the Midlands.  You'll get used to it.

Brummie is a dialect, just as Scouser (Liverpool) is. Some will speak it harsh, some soft, some quiet, some loud, just like any other dialect/accent. It is the same with Irish and Scottish, although even the English have difficulty understanding the latter ;) I would just ask the Brummies to speak a little slower if I were you, just as I would with any other language I might not understand or hear clearly.

I haven't came across someone leaving a place solely because they couldn't understand the accent. Not saying it doesn't happen, but it seems nearly all manage to fit in one way or another without a problem. I went to Birmingham a few months ago with my brother. I struggled, but he was totally fine with it. A bit more time, I would also be fine with it. Some come to the country with little to no English and do well. You're already coming with fluency, so I don't see any issues at all.

Good luck.

Bonjour.....not all people in Birmingham speak with strong accent.

Do not worry.....

I will be glad to help if you like.

I used to work in Avignon for a  few months and speak a little French.

My name is Mike and my mobile number is **********.

J'attend ta response avec impatience.. A bientot....Mike

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : Do not post your personal contact details on a public forum for your own security