Baguette,VN reciepe

Hi all, does any one have the method for making REAL baguettes? the ones here are a poor excuse

Try Youtube or as it is known in Vietnam, "You to be."   There are several recipes there, some in English.  A simple search for Banh mi or Banh mi recipe should do it but you will have to sort out the baking ones from the sandwich making ones.

I downloaded several including, some in Vietnamese, and some day I hope my wife will find the time to work on this project.  She loves to bake cakes but has never made bread.  The sandwich shops that made their owner the wealthiest Vietnamese in Hawaii have had a serious decline in the quality of their bread.  Sadly, the owner seems to have switched his attention to French style pastry at his new venues. 

The real trick is getting the outside crispy with the inside light.  This is what differentiates a Vietnamese baguette from French bread.  I would guess that you need to be very patient letting the dough fully rise.  Also use a convection oven rather than a conventional home oven.  That way the heat comes from all sides and not only the bottom.  I am fairly sure that the stacked ovens that I see Vietnamese bakeries use must have a lot of air circulation to evenly bake their 10 or more shelves of bread at once.

Good luck

thanks for the quick reply, you must have mind reading powers because you addressed all of my concerns, I miss the texture bit i have tried local Vn bakeries , but to no delight, I was told it also has something to do with the type of flour and moisture in the air (mmmmm) cheers anyway will let you know.

MarkinNam wrote:

thanks for the quick reply, you must have mind reading powers because you addressed all of my concerns, I miss the texture bit i have tried local Vn bakeries , but to no delight, I was told it also has something to do with the type of flour and moisture in the air (mmmmm) cheers anyway will let you know.

I have read that rice flour will actually make a heavier bread but maybe the trick is some kind of a blend with wheat flour.   That could take a lot of trial and error.

You should have the right flour somewhere as something like 70% of Vietnam's wheat imports are from AU.  I do believe that you need a "hard" or high gluten flour typically grown in cooler climates rather than a soft type that may be grown further North in your case.

Thanks for the advice, we have some great flour coming from Tasmania youtube  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz9r3vNRxPAhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9mz_dRSXYE    Beth has really got it,the roll the dough bit band the baking tray looks important, video #2