Looking for work

Hello everyone,
I have just returned to England from central Brittany with the view of returning in a few weeks. I am in the process of looking for work, preferably something manual in the building/gardening field.

I was pursuing an Apprenticeship in England, carpentry and multi-trade, but with no luck and now I see my future in France. I was wondering if there are any similar schemes/opportunities for Expats in France? And just any suggestions anyone has for someone in my position?
Many Thanks

Leon

Do you speak French???

Very little at the moment, but I am studying.

It's the problem. The French is required for your area... You will be with boss and colleagues who won't speak English... As for interview... You won't understand the orders... And all out of job is made in French... Administration, stores, etc... Not a lot of french speak English... But anyway, already, for your job, you must speak French...

Yes I know, I will make that my priority.
Thank you for your replies.

Central Brittany might not be the best option in France (I come from this part) maybe check on the coast, futhermore there are more and more British retired people they might be happy to find someone like you to do some work or gardenning

Hello,
I agree, but my girlfriend is based there and has plans, so another location isn't an option at the moment. I just have to try to find something.

I have enquired about the possibility of an apprenticeship. 'Les compagnons du devoir' they offer a few things that interest me, whether I am eligible for anything though, I couldn't quite make out.

Many thanks for your reply.

Leoking4work wrote:

Hello,
I agree, but my girlfriend is based there and has plans, so another location isn't an option at the moment. I just have to try to find something.

I have enquired about the possibility of an apprenticeship. 'Les compagnons du devoir' they offer a few things that interest me, whether I am eligible for anything though, I couldn't quite make out.

Many thanks for your reply.

Yes, but in this apprenticeship, you are only with your colleagues all the days and nights... It's like a boarding... And I'm not sure you have so much free time, weekends, and holidays... Where will you be in Brittany, because you can try to Brittany Ferries at Roscoff, north-Brittany.

With these apprenticeships specifically? Because that isn't the case with apprenticeships generally as far as I know.

I will be based right in the centre of Bretagne, a town called Rostrenen.

With these apprenticeships specifically, it is really special ...

Britanny Ferries might be a good idea ! Even if Roscoff is not near by you are on a boat for a few days (I don't know exactly how long,  but a few days and then as many days at home .

Oh I see. Do you mean work for Brittany ferries? It's something I could look into, but it wasn't something I had in mind.

Thank you for your reply

TO complete Marnie's words, this apprentices is not an apprentice like others. You take part of a community for several months. You live together, it's very special and it's good for youngs without experience and just left school. It's not a thing for you.

For Brittany Ferries, it's about one week on sea, one week off ;)

And indeed, you are living in the deep of landscape :p

Ah ok, I'm younger than you think! But that isn't for me, thanks for the clarification.

I will check the requirements at Brittany ferries then, it looks like an option. I wasn't expecting to find work easily, so I'm not in a rush and will continue to assess the options.

You have been very helpful, thank you.

BF recruits for season, from February-March, I think.

Try to find job to GRETA Saint-Brieuc (formation center) as English teacher (and learn French) I can try to find other places where apply ;)http://www.gretacotesarmor.fr/formation … EC=LANGUES

By the way, what is doing your girlfriend???

Ok I'll look into it. I am learning French religiously now!

She is starting a Café. It is not an area she wants to remain in, just to get some experience, property is very cheap so it is reasonably low-risk. She will sell organic, healthy, raw foods.

So, she speaks French???

She is French! And speaks very good English thankfully!

Ah, obviously, if she is French... :)

She can teach you, so :)