New from Jamaica - where to find a nice apartment all inclusive?

Hi my name is Monique and I'm a teacher from Jamaica. Irecently got a job offer to teach in Bahrain and should be moving to bahrain with my husband and son in January.  I have a quite a few questions. 

Number one on my list is employment for my husband.  He currently works in the tourist industry as a driver...would it be easy for him to get a job there?

I will be teaching at the Multinational School in Manama are there reasonably priced apartments there for rent that is in close proximity to the school and what might be the cost?

Does all apartments includes utilities in their package?

Does all units have an air conditioner?

How does laundry services work?

Looking forward to getting some answers.

Regards
Ladycoke

Hello Ladycoke and welcome to Expat.com!

I suggest you to check out rentals adverts in our Properties for rent in Manama to get an idea of price of rentals and what they offer together with the rentals.

Regards
Kenjee

Thank you Kenjee will do that.

Hello  and welcome to Bahrain in advance. :)
To answer your questions I would advise spending some time looking through this forum and have a look at other peoples questions and answers in order to get a feel of the right answer for you and your partner. My answers to your questions above are as follows:

"He currently works in the tourist industry as a driver...would it be easy for him to get a job there?"

From what I've seen there is not much tourism in Bahrain, and from what I understand only Bahrain nationals can be certified taxi drivers (I may be wrong) but there are certainly opportunities for him to get a job as a personal driver or similar.

"I will be teaching at the Multinational School in Manama are there reasonably priced apartments there for rent that is in close proximity to the school and what might be the cost?"

Depends on what you are looking for, the School I believe is situated in Juffair (or is very close to) if you are looking for a 2 bedroom apartment for example it should be around BD300, you can obviously spend a lot more or less depending on the quality you want but there is a lot of choice in that area.

"Does all apartments includes utilities in their package?"

Short answer is no not all apartments but majority from what I have seen do, or can be negotiated into the price so that they are all inclusive.

"Does all units have an air conditioner?"

I have not seen any that do not have air conditioning (they are a MUST during the summer months)

"How does laundry services work?"

Im not too sure what you mean by this. Some apartments will include washing machine and/or dryer so you can do your own washing. There are dry cleaners that will wash your clothes. Or there are launderette buildings in which you can use.

I hope this helped you get the guidance you were looking for. If you have any other questions then just ask otherwise I hope you enjoy your stay in Bahrain :)

Hi, Can't really help you with accommodation until we know your budget. Usually everything works in the apartment you rent and if it doesn't then you call the landlord and ask him to get it repaired.

As for your husband, he may get a job but the salary will probably be less than he is used to. Most drivers get paid around BD120 a month - some with accommodation but usually on a single person basis. Tell him to contact the hotels

Hiee ,

In Manama, there are less rental options available but still you will get one after some searching.

The rent may be approx 250-300 bd p.m,Inclusive of electricty an taxes.

But sometimes u will find that a apartment is available on sharing basis also with another couple. so it may then cost you may be 100-150 bd. So its like in a 2bhk flat and two couples would be living and they would share the kitchen.

Your query about laundry- usually flats are fully furnished and they would have washing machines so it shudn't be a problem.You will find dry cleaners and all but they are expensive.

Hiee ,

In Manama, there are less rental options available but still you will get one after some searching.

The rent may be approx 250-300 bd p.m,Inclusive of electricty an taxes.

But sometimes u will find that a apartment is available on sharing basis also with another couple. so it may then cost you may be 100-150 bd. So its like in a 2bhk flat and two couples would be living and they would share the kitchen.

Your query about laundry- usually flats are fully furnished and they would have washing machines so it shudn't be a problem.You will find dry cleaners and all but they are expensive.

Thank you very much. Information was very helpful.  I appreciate it.

Thank you very much. .info was very helpful.  I will do some more research.

Thank for your response. .question about health insurance what does a silver plan cover?

I cant help you with health insurance, my company sort that out for me. If your employer is providing that plan ask them directly as they will know.

Ok thk you. Have a good one

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : Promotion of services not allowed. Drop advert in Housing section
Ladycoke wrote:

Thank for your response. .question about health insurance what does a silver plan cover?

Most of your queries have been addressed above.

Health insurance is generally provided by employers. Insurance companies use different terms to describe their products/plans. From experience, silver health insurance is the second level of health insurance and would cover all health issues, other than "pre-existing conditions". Dental, pregnancy and spectacles are also usually excluded in this category.

its best you check with your employer on what cover is provided and if it is only for you or also for your husband and child. Private health care is pricey here in Bahrain so you should get this clarified. There is the option of using government hospitals and health centres, which are cheaper.

One other matter I wish to comment on is about the location of the school - its in an area called Adliya. You will be able to find reasonably good accommodation options in Adliya, maybe some even within walking distance from your school (though walking during the hot summer months may be difficult).

Regarding your husband, please think long and hard about him being able to get a proper job here in Bahrain. Proper tourism is non-existent. Driving jobs dont pay that well here. He may get quite frustrated, if he is already happy with what he is presently doing.

All the best with your move.

Thx you very much. .appreciate your help.