How is the City Oslo compared to others?

I am not yet an expat,
But I am an American student planning to spend two years in possibly Oslo for my graduate school studies in psychology.
How is the City Oslo compared to others? Is it clean, affordable, friendly to Americans, family safe, etc? How is transportation? Is there lots of traffic and delays?
I am also curious do foreign students get discounts for housing and transportation here? Is it a good place for a single mother? How is finding a job difficult?

Any answers are so very helpful and appreciated

Thank you

capbat33 wrote:

I am not yet an expat,
But I am an American student planning to spend two years in possibly Oslo for my graduate school studies in psychology.
How is the City Oslo compared to others? Is it clean, affordable, friendly to Americans, family safe, etc? How is transportation? Is there lots of traffic and delays?
I am also curious do foreign students get discounts for housing and transportation here? Is it a good place for a single mother? How is finding a job difficult?

Thank you

Well, we have trams and train and taxi, and buses. Delays aren't really a problem.
No, no one gets special treatment in norway, u have to pay the same amount for housing as everyone else, if you want a decent place for you or possibly child and you're gonna have to pay tons for a decent home.
Norway in general can be a great place to raise your child depending on which part of Oslo you're thinking about.
some places have addicts injecting themselves with heroine right in front of you.

When it comes to jobs, it depends on which type of jobs u want to have.
Bartending job can be a possibility, if you only speak english.
Some cleaning jobs require a degree in cleaning (lol)
But it's still possible.
You cannot get a job with out a working visa and a local social security number.
Which we call fødselsnummer

Hello everyone,

A new thread has been created from your posts on the Oslo forum so that you may better interact.

Best of luck,
Bhavna

It's been a while since I was in Norway; apart from the fact it's a really nice place that really seems to have got its act together, the last thing I would describe Oslo as, was affordable.

capbat33 wrote:

I am not yet an expat,

Thank you

I suggest you do some more in-depth reading about Oslo but in short:
1) Oslo compared to what other cities? Cities in Norway, cities somewhere else?
2) yes, it's clean
3) no, it's not affordable
4) if one goes by the number of American/Tex Mex restaurants that are opening, yes, it's friendly. I don't feel unwelcome living here at least, but I didn't have to deal with the visa rigmarole that makes many people feel unwelcome.
5) transportation is fairly comprehensive and mostly punctual. Problems include signal problems on the trains, track maintenance, snow, and the usual. I'm particularly fond of the city bike system.
6) don't know anything about housing
7) it's a good country for parents in general, one of the best in the world, in fact
8) finding a job will likely be very difficult if you don't speak Norwegian, have a kid, and are trying to fit work around studies. I also don't know how much one is allowed to work when on a student visa. Have you read through udi.no?

capbat33 wrote:

I am not yet an expat,

I've always found people very friendly in Oslo, as elsewhere in Norway. But they don't cut foreigners any slack. Norway is great for Norwegian single mothers; my granddaughters' mother is one, but I doubt if there are any benefits available for foreigners whatever their status. As for safety: well, there are some dodgy parts of Oslo, as in any big city. Any of the students' residential areas should be okay. As an American, you will be made welcome - as long as you distance yourself from your government's foreign policies, of course!