Things to Bring

Hey All
I'm wondering about a few things to bring or not to.

In the now group, is there a need for dress slacks, shirts, ties or jackets? Does anyone ever use them there? I'm thinking sheets, towels, pillows, and the like should be brought with me.

In the group of stuff to ship down later when I've got a long term place I'm wondering if things like a shop vac, some tools, ice chests, vacuum cleaner and things like that? I'm not keeping any furniture. I am going to pack for the later group some computer stuff, audio equipment, TV and kitchen stuff (pots, pans, and the like)

At some point I'll want an unfurnished place, possibly a purchase, but that will likely be at least a year.

Any thoughts on these things? I took a look at the site Courts and noticed they don't have much in the way of items I mentioned. Is there another place to check out to get some ideas on pricing.

I hate to give stuff away (it won't sell for anything here) only to buy it again when I have stuff I like.

Thanks in advance for the input

Is it best to ship down things like toner cartridges and other office supply type stuff or is it reasonable to get in Belize. I won't have a business but will have a laserjet and officejet shipped down later on. Wondering if I should stock up before hand on those type things.

Things I brought that I'm glad I did:
Slow cooker
Boxed wine (can't find it in Corozal)
good flatware.  What is sold in Corozal is not of good quality
Tupperware
Decent quality cookware (Revereware)
Convection oven.  Saves time, less expensive to run
Decent quality microwave.  My Courts micro died after 1.5 years
Tooth paste.  They have one size fits all toothpaste
Perfume and aftershave.  They are hard to come by in Belize
Sewing machine for repairs
Electric radio clock w/battery backup.  I've not found here
Electri wall clock.  You can go through a ton of batteries
Rechargable batteries and battery charger.
Lamps.  Finding decent table lamps is difficult
Tools:  hammer, hand saw, power saw, electric chain saw, if you have a lot of shrubbery, wrenches, screw driver set, plyers of all sizes,a square, stud finder if you have a Mennonite house, bar clamps, sander, cordless drill, long extension cords,
Specialty foods you like.  For me that included sweet and sour sauce, stirfry peanut sauce, spices, if you bake your own bread, bring in bread flour.  Can't find it here.  A really decent potato peeler.  Spuds are rock hard here and the peelers they sell here break fast.
I'm sure there's more, but that's all I can think of for now.

What a great help this list is. Please, if you think of more let me know. I was going to ask about things like spices and such. Did you bring any of that stuff in your luggage or ship it all later? I was going to throw some small kitchen gadgets, spices and such in the bags and send the larger items later when I ship the Audio equipment.

I did see a decent toaster oven on the Courts site. Mine is dying so figured a new one was in order. Same with a coffee maker but, they don't have any good ones of those and after many years mine is dying. Do they sell coffee beans or just ground coffee?

Have you purchased from Court? I'm wondering how long it takes for them to deliver something direct to me vs. store pickup. I'll be in Placencia so I'm sure it would be a pain in the * to pick things up.

I figure I'll throw things like a good whisk, can opener, immersion blender and some other small things into one of my checked bags. Wish I could bring my knives now but I suspect the TSA here would frown on it as well as customs. :)

Thanks again

Spices:  I brought some via luggage and shipped a bunch. 
Your list looks good.  I opted for a wall mount manual can opener.  No electricity required.  I'll bet those new 'CanDo' can openers are nifty.  Battery operated.
We lose electricity frequently in Belize, so come prepared for that, too.
Courts:  They do carry a lot of things, but as mentioned, I bought a microwave that crashed a little over a year after purchase.  They would repair, but they had to send it to Belize City, then it took them 3 weeks to get it back to me.  It was waranteed for a year, and the thing crashed a little over the year.  Better you purchase from Gongora, if they are still in business in Corozal.if you are in Belize City, there's Hobit and Hobit (sp?).  There's a big hardware store in Belmopan. You may be able to find a lot of goodies there.  I'm running out of steam.  My brain's going blank.  I'll try to think of more later, but for now, the eyes keep slamming shut.

Good info. I'll be in Placencia for the first 2 months. If I love it, I'll get something long term. If I hate it, I'll try another area. I doubt I'll hate it though.

I'll check out the other stores you mentioned. As for me, with the hectic schedule trying to get everything ready to go my sleep patterns are all messed up. I can't wait to get settled and fall asleep on the sand!!!!

Maybe a little more expensive, but, absolutely everything on the lists is available in Belize. Some of it equal quality as up north. I make baguettes and other breads, in the oven, and with BA flour they come out perfect. The only thing that I still buy in Canada is bed linen. My husband has had some tools, bought here, for well over a decade, and they are still going. Mirab's, Hofius, Brodie's, Benny's, Dave's Furniture for household stuff. Mirab's on the Western and Hummingbird Furnishings sell beautiful furniture. Good coffee beans, and ground, are widely available. I used to bring items down in the beginning due to lack of availability, but things have come a long long way. Great hardware stores in Spanish Lookout as well. Plus there is Farmers Trading for, on and off, great and good quality finds.

R u on Facebook,, would love to add u so I can keep up with your adventurous

How's the cost / quality of vision stuff there? New glasses before I leave?

A couple of years ago, I got progressive transition lenses from Dr. Victor Valdez and they are just fine. Exam, lenses and frame for just over 700.00. That also included my prescription reading glasses.

I believe there is also a BCVI office/clinic in every District. They provide excellent eye care. (Belize Council for the Visually Impaired)

Compared to what I can get them for here I'd better do it now. Glad you shared that with me. :)

Gee, Brigitte.  Couldn't find any of it in Corozal.  Had to go to Mex for bread flour, order kitchen tools through internet (that which I didn't remember to bring with me), and then there's the duty on everything.  Dees in Corozal used to carry a loot of good things, but since they have been put on the hook for money laundering, they are sinking fast.  For me, I couldn't afford to drive all over Belize to look for things.  It was easier to just ship it, when I figured out what "it" was.

You're right about "it". I'm still racking my brain for the few things I'm sure to forget that I'll swear I can't live without! And, of course, there will be a few of those "why the hell did I bring that items!"

How about things like sweetener, coffee creamer, etc. Are they easy to get or to be added to the list?

Do they set a limit on how may cigars you can bring with?

Hahahahahah, Bobbyg!  I  can relate!  Examples:
I brought a vacuum cleaner.  My house has wooden floors whereby a broom and a mop work better!  For the everyday, a shop vac works best for me.  Brooms and mops work well on tile floors, too.  So vacuum should be sent packing, in my humble opinion.  Wish I had imported my weed eater and/or lawn mower, though...even though they are available in Belize.  I like dealing with known quantities.  I know and understand my US items.  I know their history.  In my experience, the things I buy in my part of Belize, the quality is a crap shoot.
Another example:
My kitchen lights are 2 years old.  They are already falling apart, and they were not inexpensive.  The 'innards' to 2 toilets had to be replaced within the first year.  The kitchen sink faucet is having to be replaced after replacing the first after 1 year.  This is the second faucet I'm replacing.  I had to replace the cistern pump after 1 year, and that's not an inexpensive item.  All part of the deal of living in Belize.  There may be areas of Belize where items are available and quality is better, but that area IS NOT in Corozal.  Just a heads up, Bobbyg.  Oh, and the roads in Corozal are absolutely the worst.  Belize city is good.  Belmopan is good.  San Ignacio (I'm told) is good.  Orange Walk is good but crowded.  I haven't investigated the others.  See, the whole of Belize can fit in the center of my home state of Oregon and leave plenty of Oregon to spare.  But for some reason, Corozal goes begging when it comes to city planning and up to date businesses who carry quality products.  The one newer hardware store we have is operated by folks out of Mexico!  Grocery stores are all operated by Chinese, and they are cluttered and dirty.  The one where more and more people are frequenting is owned and operated by East Indians, and they do a decent job of supplying goods for people, but the store is small.  Not like the large supermarkets in Belize City or medium sized as in Orange Walk.  Corozal town could use a lot of improvement.

Well, there's some good info to have. I'm actually going through garage stuff and was about to throw out some of the things you've mentioned so thanks much!! I'm starting in Placencia but, who knows where I'll wind up.

I with ya Bob,,,,, how abut the sweetener and coffee creamers.... :)

Well I am lucky enough to be near Belmopan so in fact there is little I can't get sweetness coffee creamers all available maybe a bit more expensive but in the last few years prices are so much better than they were. Placencia has plenty of grocery stores but not so much in the hardware lines. But it is only 21/2 hours up the hummingbird to Belmopan I know of a few folks from the area that do a big shop in Belmopan once a month or so as they say it's not a bad day trip.

I've not been to Placencia, but I hear it's nice.  Probably more services there too.

Placencia is gorgeous bit touristy in the shopping line but Belize is small so what isn't available there is probably no more than a couple of hours away.

Pamemmert, I'm going to setup a new FB & Skype account pretty soon and will let you know when. The one i have now has too many friends on it (300+) - as you can guess most are not really friends. :)

just curious as to what the name of the "new" hardware store in Corozal is ( the one you say is owned by Mexicans) and where it is located?  Thanks

moving your goods down there is expensive and subject to duties, just take personal stuff. you can buy stuff off those returning home.

Is located just off of the newly made concrete hwy, not far from the bus station.  It's called Villa Imports.

mbarlow.....Villa's is truly not a "new" hardware store...it's been in the same location for a good many years now and other than Corozal Farmer's Supply ( since National Hardware closed last year) it is one of the oldest hardware stores in town...Lano's and Dragon Hardware are both newer.....and it is Belizean owned.

I"m thinking of bringing a lot of mechanic tools with me, a roll away and 1 one large tool box that sits on top of it. Maybe a solar water heater along with some electric cooking items that my wife wants. Am I going to pay a large duty on these items?

If I may add....  Many people move to Belize to simplify their lives.  That means you don't need all the 'stuff' of North American life and you can live with a lot less. Try it!

Yea, in the last few days I've found myself removing stuff I'd planned on bring either now or later. I realized I was beginning to duplicate life here which is exactly what I don't want to do.

Seems when it gets close to going suddenly things seem more important than they really are.

Yes.... it is easy to do.  We are surrounded by stuff and stores and shopping up
north with new deals and new products all the time.  There are no big box stores
or franchised stores in Belize, only small business owners. It is very refreshing!
We are renting a small one bedroom apartment near the beach here and love the
simplicity of our lives and the lack of clutter.
Good luck with your packing!

Hi, saw you said you are renting a 1 bedroom in Placencia. Can you tell me a little on how you like it and may i ask what do you pay for a 1 bedroom. I'm coming down in January for my 2nd visit and planning on part time retiring in 2 years in Placencia. You can send me an email if you like.

Pam from Missouri

Please just post the price I'm curious too

Hi Pam
I can only tell you I like it without actually seeing in person yet. The pics and info made it incredibly appealing. I'm arriving in country Monday and will fly down to Placencia Tuesday morning. I'll drop you a note on how it is in person after I've been there a couple of days.

The best thing I can recommend is using FlipKey.com - disregard the nightly rates. Just below the calendar for each place click Show Rate Details (I think that's right). Then contact the owner and work on that rate. That's how I did it and got a really nice rate in a place I'm certain I'll be happy at.

Hi Pam. Would be happy to share info from my experience here. * Amanda

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : For own security measures, please do not share email address on the forum, you could use our private message system for that.

Feel free to email me and I will let you know my experience in renting here in Placencia.

is there a reason why renting an apartment is a state secret?

😀  You can pay from $500 BZ ($250 U.S.) right up to $2000, $2500 BZ. As you would expect,
it all depends on what you need/want.  The key factors in renting are long-term vs. short-term
and location. If you are looking at staying for at least a year, your rent will be much more reasonable.  If you are just staying for the winter, your rent will be at least double.  I am not familiar with what other
ex-pats are paying in the village but I would expect between $600-$1200 U.S. for a 1-2 bedroom apartment.  There is a Facebook page in Placencia called Placencia Long Term Rentals that will
give you some accurate rental rates.

Amanda, I sent you an email from my aol account under pamemmert

Wow you are a wealth of information. Glad I joined these forums. I just took a lot for granted on what we need to bring.
Thanks
Al