And, another one

Bites the dust.
I've been on this forum for some time. I got a lot of helpful information here, and made some good friends.
But, alas, the time has come for me to check out.
Back Ground:
I made an exploratory trip back in 2012.  I liked the city of Cuenca, and purchased a condo while still under construction. It turned out to be a beautiful building. I moved down in 2013.
After spending 2 1/2 years here, I came to the conclusion, this just wasn't a good fit for me. I came to a Spanish speaking country with absolutely no skill in speaking, or understanding it. My bad. I became frustrated with the bureaucracy. Really.... 4 days to register a motorcycle?  And the major bank I hooked up with? They don't even have an option for English on their website, with all the English speaking clients they have?
So, in the end, I have no one to blame but myself. Poor decision? I really don't think so. I met some very wonderful folks that live here, and I'm sure life long friends. I didn't make the move for financial reasons, but the lifestyle I am accustomed to, I found it no cheaper to live here.
So, I sold my condo after only 3 showings. I look at it as a great learning experience, and even with the soft real estate market, I made more than enough in profit to pay for my 2 1/2 year experience, and put some money in the bank. I have no regrets.
I leave for Playas today, where I may very well buy a condo on the ocean... as a Winter residence. Being from Minnesota, I'll be just another Snow Bird, probably 4 to 5 months out of the year.
Great to have been a participant of this forum. I will continue to visit, and will post of my experiences in Playas.
Be Well, All
ZenSpike

Best wishes, it doesn't work out for everybody.

Great post Zen. What a healthy attitude, and mentality you have. Made your money back. Found out you don't want to live there year round, and have found a good spot to be a snowbird a few months every year. Seems like a win,win proposition to me.

Sorry to see you go bro; glad you made out well with the sale.   I will definitely be interested in your thoughts on Playas if that becomes your winter home.

I don't know if Ecuador has similar rules as does Colombia - but the "snowbird"route is one I'll probably take, too, since Colombia now has in place a rule that says if you spend 183 days or more in-country, your WORLDWIDE income is taxable by them (in addition to it being taxed by your home country).  This is unless the two countries have a tax treaty in place to not do this, which apparently Colombia and the United States do not.

Seems like you're making a good choice for you, Zen.

Snowbird living can be great.  Previously, I spent most years in the U.S. and the winters in Thailand .. and it worked!

Not sure I'd buy any ocean-view property in EC until El Niño passes.

cccmedia in Quito

ZenSPIKE wrote:

Bites the dust.
I've been on this forum for some time. I got a lot of helpful information here, and made some good friends.
But, alas, the time has come for me to check out.
Back Ground:
I made an exploratory trip back in 2012.  I liked the city of Cuenca, and purchased a condo while still under construction. It turned out to be a beautiful building. I moved down in 2013.
After spending 2 1/2 years here, I came to the conclusion, this just wasn't a good fit for me. I came to a Spanish speaking country with absolutely no skill in speaking, or understanding it. My bad. I became frustrated with the bureaucracy. Really.... 4 days to register a motorcycle?  And the major bank I hooked up with? They don't even have an option for English on their website, with all the English speaking clients they have?
So, in the end, I have no one to blame but myself. Poor decision? I really don't think so. I met some very wonderful folks that live here, and I'm sure life long friends. I didn't make the move for financial reasons, but the lifestyle I am accustomed to, I found it no cheaper to live here.
So, I sold my condo after only 3 showings. I look at it as a great learning experience, and even with the soft real estate market, I made more than enough in profit to pay for my 2 1/2 year experience, and put some money in the bank. I have no regrets.
I leave for Playas today, where I may very well buy a condo on the ocean... as a Winter residence. Being from Minnesota, I'll be just another Snow Bird, probably 4 to 5 months out of the year.
Great to have been a participant of this forum. I will continue to visit, and will post of my experiences in Playas.
Be Well, All
ZenSpike

I can remember when we both were new on here three years ago, it has been great to exchange information and opinions concerning everything, sounds like you had a good adventure, looking to spend winters down south.  I am sure it will work for you, you are open minded enough to get real about your life.  Hope it continues for you.

message deleted

Sorry to see you go,  Best of luck.

message deleted

Nataly Elena 1 wrote:

Well, I'm not going anywhere until I see if Trump can MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN...until then I could end up staying.  :lol: Nataly

That is very funny.