Lonely Australian lady looking for expat groups

Hi,

I am an Australian lady who is new to KL and feeling quite lonely and desperate to talk to western Expats.

I am staying at a Condo opposite Sentiawangsa LRT (Ampang) and am feeling quite isolated here.

Can anyone let me know if there is any expat gatherings here in KL or some groups to join. Also, are there are any local pubs/bars in this area?

I really like the Condo and the area but am minus friends and getting rather depressed.

Thanks so much for any assistance anyone can give.

ALF

I am a retired Canadian living in KL and understand your need for contact with others.  There are two groups that I know of:
Malaysia Cultural Group malaysianculturegroup.org
and MANZA Malysia Australia New Zealand Association
manza.org

Welcome to Expat.com Adrienne888 and Spwise :)

You can also visit the Kuala Lampur expat network page. You can make lot of contacts via this page.

Regards
Yud :)

Tell me about it...I'm an Aussie guy living and working in Cyberjaya...fantastic apartment and great place to live but can be depressingly lifeless.  Hope things start looking up for you!! Not sure about your area but have you hit up the nightlife in KL itself?

Hi,

I shuttle between Penang and KL to see my daughter
Yes, I know what it is to be alone in KL
It would be nice if we can meet up the next time I go to KL in Dec

Regards,

Imee

Hi Imee,

How very sweet of you indeed. Sadly I am off to Perth for summer holidays and Christmas with my family but will send you a PM when I get back.

Cheers,

ALF

Hi,

Glad for you. Enjoy. Safe flights.

Cheers

wouldnt mind for a drink or two :) lets make it happen ppl

I am wondering if my post sounded like some kind of singles advert because I got these messages from some strange men.

I was after "expat gatherings here in KL or some groups to join AND if there are any local pubs/bars in the Ampang area"

I think if I wanted a date I would have posted in the personals section and made it very clear.

Not sure what it is with these creepy guys. They seem mainly from pakistan/lebanon. I just wondered if there was some kind of problem here a western woman should know about.

I have been living in Shanghai for years and it is totally 100% safe for western women. I wonder if it is the same here.

Thanks for any tips/insight.

ALF

lol some guys are just trying to strike their luck. check out the wednesday drinkies thread :)

So that is it? Hmmmm. For goodness sake, aren't there enough single women around to date? They must lead such a sad, lonely life trying to pick up in this manner.

Can you tell me more about wed night drinkies?? This week am swamped with work so I haven't felt so lonely as I have had to talk to my managers at nights/weekend. But Wednesday sounds great.

DO TELL ME MORE ABT IT:-)

ALF

i havent attend one yet, but i definitely will make it for one if there is another session :)

then we can attend together :)

Thanks Ernest but I was looking for more information about it like a thread or something so I can see if it suits me or not.

There are get togethers I would like to attend as there are people that I share common interests with. There are also those events that I wouldn't want to attend as I wouldn't have much in common with the participants.

Would you know where I could find the thread about this Wed Night Drinks? I can't find a search function other than google on this forum.

Many thanks

ALF

hmm dont think there's active wed drinkies here, but do check out this klexpatmalaysia.com/

its getting less news from the expat forum these days.

Hi! You can join the American Association of Malaysia - it's open to other nationalities. We've met some lovely folks at the Thanksgiving get-together this past weekend.

Good luck!

Sue

hi i am wilfried i come from Benin in weast Africa.i have been in kl since 4 months but not very easy to make friends.then i would like to meet people (ladies men)with who i can discorver more KL,i like hand out by night drink,[email protected] it's my email

G'day ALF, are you living in Kampong Warisan or Seri Maya?
I lived in Kl eight years agao and am now back in KL for another two years. It has changed for the better in lots of ways.
I am working here. I'm from Melbourne and have been working all over the planet, last stop was five years in Canada.

Let me know if I can be of assistance. More than happy to catch up for coffee.
Cheers
Zaf

adrienne888 welcome to Malaysia :)

Don't sound too desperate as it might attract unwanted attention like you might have right now. The Condo opposite the Setiawangsa LRT (Ampang) is a little isolated and far from the better pubs however you might want to try out a lot of local food available near you :)

There are lotsa pubs, bars and clubs about KL and PJ which you can go to; you could take a cab or LRT but do becareful of taking cabs late at night; even though the fares have been hiked up the minority of cabbies still try to fleece people who look like tourists..or even locals!

If you want, I could show you about; just a message will do.

hi there,
my name is andre and i am from south africa.i have been in singapore for 3 months now and know what you mean.thinking of going to penang for a month or two.have a nice day.
regards.
andre.
ps.not one of the bad ones.heh heh.

Hi.. I am staying just nearby at Keramat area.. Maybe we can become friends..

LoL....@adrienne888. Speaking of interpretation of english language...:P. Sometimes if we mean "lonely" some people may think we are "desperate".  I guess we have to post it very carefully or we may attract the wrong kind of attention!!!

virgo_rishi wrote:

LoL....@adrienne888. Speaking of interpretation of english language...:P. Sometimes if we mean "lonely" some people may think we are "desperate".  I guess we have to post it very carefully or we may attract the wrong kind of attention!!!

yeah. lonely = desperate = needy :D

as interpreted in Eleanor Rigby

"They seem mainly from pakistan/lebanon."

I laughed when I read that!

I know a fair few guys from Pakistan and I can imagine one of them sending you a pervy message. In their defence I must say that I've yet to meet a Pakistani that wasn't incredible nice and friendly. I had noticed however, that they seemed to have a problem viewing women as purely friends. They also think that all western women are of loose morals, probably because you are compared to their women.

Anyway, I used to work at University in Ireland and it was tradition that we'd go to the bar on a Friday night. I would like to start that tradition here in KL, so if I actually managed to get enough people together that are up for it, I'll let you know and you can join us.

Ander, early doors Friday sounds good, let me know where !!

Hi Adrienne,

Hope u managed to find a few places to hang out.... actually there is this site called Mingle-expat or something let me look it up and mail you. They keep organizing get together's.

Ya if you dont mind exploring alone... I did enjoy the Bars in the Pavillion Mall in Bukit Bintang...safe..good crowd slightly on the higher side thou.

And if your in for good music and dont mind paying a slight high price for a drink...you must visit the PJ Hilton Club called Zest if I'm not wrong.... everytime I stay in PJ Hilton I have a really nice time... :)
zestpj.com/

By the way the reason Im writing is I want to know the rent for the condo your currently staying in? Im on the look out for places and trying to get an idea of the rents in different areas near an LRT.

Thanks in advance

Happy Weekend.

Hi There

Maybe they think you are desperate so probably there always some guys would respond like that.

I am Australian citizen living here long time I guess I would give general idea for local way of life and how to adjust if you Email me or if you like we could have a cup of coffee to chat.

Good luck

my name is Naji
at the moment im staying in kuala lumpur
i have been in kl for 1 year now

i would love to have you as  a good friend and get to know each other and hangout or do some activities together,(like hiking or traveling or anything basically)
thank you

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

My friend (intermediate in french) and I(beginner in German) plans to party at Westin Hotel on 6 April, not far from Ampang. We are Malaysian but well traveled. Ladies go in free. We already have a few female expats joining. Look at our forum at https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=72086
This invitation only open for us ladies. Not a dating thingy.

Cheers,

Rio Kong

[email protected]

This is old, published 2010/
Why we are reading this?
Maybe this lady already gone back where she came from.
I guess every click is a money in the pocket.

Hi Adrienne, I have just sent you a mail. My contact details are xtreemflite @gmail.com and my number locally is 0172990536.... lets hope we can get as many expats together and find a real nice wine bar to meet at... I love company and get togethers....

hi , I am steven and i m a malaysian, wish to know you better and would be kind enough to take you around
kuala lumpur if you wish and my contact no is 0102069226

Best Regards
steven

Just to remind EB Members that this topic concerns expat groups for ladies to join, in order that they can meet others. It is also almost 5 years old.

The topic is not an invitation for men to try and make contact for other purposes. If members can contribute to the discussion please continue to post here.

To remind everyone that EB is NOT a dating website and that personal contact details should not be exchanged on the forum. 

Many thanks..

-Topic Closed-

Closed