Safety in Quito

My husband and I will be spending 2 months in Quito, and exploring Ecuador.  I understand safety can be an issue.  I am looking for tips on what to watch out for, what areas to stay away from, scams to be aware of. 

I do know about a few of the the things to watch like, take a cab at night, expat pricing, be aware of the bird poop scam.  Others?

Are there areas where it is safer to use an ATM?  Is there a better way to withdraw cash?

Thank you!

blumenwe wrote:

Are there areas where it is safer to use an ATM?  Is there a better way to withdraw cash?

Dear Blumen,

Welcome to the Ecuador forum.

I consider the major shopping malls including QuiCentro to be the best places to tap ATMs safely.  MegaMaxi 6 de Diciembre is another great place, especially on the upper MegaMaxi level.

If you must use an outdoor ATM location, best to take the cash at a place where an armed guard is standing by.

A better way to withdraw cash? 

1.  Don't go alone if it's more than an average amount.

2.  Keep your eyes open for possible communication between someone in the bank and an accomplice, and go elsewhere if you're suspicious. 

3.  Have a bank check drawn instead of cash. 

4.  Distribute your cash into multiple pockets, etc. 

5.  See if you can make a deposit directly into the bank account of the merchant or individual with whom you are doing business.

You may be interested in the Expat.com Ecuador thread titled "Robbed in Broad Daylight..."  The link is:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=443074

cccmedia in Quito

blumenwe wrote:

I do know about a few of the the things to watch like, take a cab at night, expat pricing, be aware of the bird poop scam.  Others?

Here are a couple more scams....

1.  A Gringo approaches you in Mariscal sector .. claims his passport and money were just stolen .. could you give him $50 so he can have a place to stay for the night and something for a meal?

2.  You board the Ecovía-line bus at a crowded time.  One or two people brush up against you fuertemente.  Eventually, you discover your wallet, camera, phone or sunglasses are missing.

cccmedia in Quito

blumenwe wrote:

I am looking for tips on what to watch out for, what areas to stay away from....

Areas in Ecuador to avoid for safety reasons ....

-- Colombia border regions esp. areas with State Department warnings

-- Guayaquil

-- South Quito (south of El Centro)

-- As a pedestrian, the road up to El Panecillo statue in Quito

-- At night, any poorly lit and/or deserted streets

-- Lago Agrio and surrounding areas

-- Places with recently-active volcanoes, including Latacunga and Baños

cccmedia in Quito

FYI.
This experience happened to be Panama about 1 month ago, probably could happen in Equador too. I want everyone to be aware.

I went an ATM machind, did usual stuff and asked for $500, the machine gave me nothing. I thought had asked for too much so repeated the process for $400 and again nothing.
Next day went to same bank but at main branch in different city, this time no problem and I withdrew $500.
2 days later my online bank statement showed 3 withdrawals including the $900 I never received + $8 for the service fees.
Cut a long story short my bank in the USA told me the the ATM was an independent machine and somehow had been rigged. They assumed the dispensing slot had been blocked so the criminal returned after my use and fished out the money or the maintenance technician had done something inside.
The Panama bank never accepted any responcibility because their money was dispensed. My card had fraud protection so I got my money back.

My bank said NEVER NEVER use a free standing independent ATM, only use one that is attached to the bank building and accessed from the rear, inside the bank. 
Apparently this type of theft is common worldwide.

les64 wrote:

My bank said NEVER use a free standing independent ATM, only use one that is attached to the bank building and accessed from the rear, inside the bank. 
Apparently this type of theft is common worldwide.

Great post, Les.  Great advice.  Thank you. :top:

cccmedia in Quito

Thank you for all of your insights.  We are staying at 6 Diciembre and Jorge Washington in an apartment.  I believe that is South Quito.  Is that right?  Any advice for walking from there to get around Quito since you say South Quito is not safe?

wendy-adventurousretirement wrote:

Thank you for all of your insights.  We are staying at 6 Diciembre and Jorge Washington in an apartment.  I believe that is South Quito.  Is that right?  Any advice for walking from there to get around Quito since you say South Quito is not safe?

Your apartment is at the eastern edge of Mariscal -- the famous Gringo-friendly sector -- not at all what is referred to as 'South Quito.'

You have an Ecovía bus stop right nearby .. which can take you a few stops north to other parts of Mariscal. 

Even closer .. there are plenty of shops, restaurants and other places within walking distance of where you are staying right now.  Walk west on Jorge Washington to Avenida (Río) Amazonas, then turn right.  Or visit the heart of Gringolandia -- Plaza Foch -- loaded with eateries of many countries, sports bars, hair and massage peluquerías, indoor/outdoor coffee shops, video stores and more .. all within a block or two of the plaza.

cccmedia in Quito

Thank you again!  The Ecovia bus line sounded like one to stay away from.  Right?  Or is it just at rush hour and lunch time when we must stay away from it?

I am in Cuenca but I am sure It is the same as in Quito.  Thank you for the advice/insight.

wendy-adventurousretirement wrote:

The Ecovia bus line sounded like one to stay away from.  Right?  Or is it just at rush hour and lunch time when we must stay away from it?

The Ecovía line can be crowded at almost any time except Sundays.

You don't need to avoid the line as there is little chance of serious violence.  However, it's a Gringo-target zone -- I was pickpocketed last December and January -- so be extra vigilant with protecting your money, phone, sunglasses, etc. 

In particular, protect your 'money pockets' getting on or off the bus.  Galo Plaza stop, a rare transfer station, is particularly notorious IMO.

If you're worried, just take licensed taxis.  As you may have noticed, they're plentiful on 6 de Diciembre.

cccmedia in Quito

I always comment to our students and volunteers who are concerned about being robbed in Quito that what you read on the internet is never representative of the real situation. It is those who have bad experiences who tend to write about it on the internet, while the great majority who come here and have nothing bad happen to them do not tend to put that online as it is non-news really!
Having said that, you should take precautions - don't carry valuables, extra credit cards, passports etc if you are not going to use them. Be aware without becoming paranoid is our motto! Use cash machines where there are guards present or in supermarkets or other public spots. If I take out a sum of money from a bank cash machine I always go into the bank for a minute or two as though I am doing some business before heading out onto the street again, just as a precaution. You have an advantage as there are two of you - one can take out the cash while the other is looking around for any possible trouble.
In our experience with thousands of students and volunteers over the years, the most common occurrence is petty theft, many times without the person even realizing they have been robbed. Either that or just being plain dumb - like standing at traffic lights with your camera in your back pocket!
Public transport is also a common hunting ground for pickpockets. I always put my wallet inside my underwear when I am on public transport, figuring nobody is going to be putting their hand in there! So then I can relax and it doesn't matter who bumps or jostles me.
In summary, I would say that Quito is safer now than I have known it in the 10 years I have been here.

Thank you!  Where do you teach and what?

We have a Spanish school in Quito and one in Cuenca - Yanapuma Spanish School - and we work with volunteers all over the country. We are actually a non-profit NGO doing sustainable development projects with indigenous and marginalized communities, so the Spanish school, Study Abroad groups, and our own travel agency help us to make ends meet!

Hi ecokirbi.  I left Quito for Cuenca after a few days going all around the city recently.  I loved it!   Using common sense like you suggested, I  had absolutely no problems there and felt safe even at night.  My advice is treat it like ANY big city and use your God given brain and enjoy your self with out being paranoid.  The are a million things to do there & enjoy your self.  Martha

I will check out your school to see if anything fits my schedule to continue my learning of Spanish.  Thanks, Wendy

Last year my wife and I spent the months of Dec and Jan in Quito.  Enjoyed very much.  Traveled extensively outside
Quito on the bus system.  Went to Otovaldo, Cotopaxi, Mitad del Mundo by public bus.  Only traveled during day and never had a problem on longer distance buses.  Did not take any valuables and kept wallets and cell phones in money belt inside zipped up jackets.   We only used ATMs in Supermaxi supermarkets or major banks.  From our apartment in El Bosque we often used the Trolle Bus to get to downtown Quito.  Had one incident on Trolle Bus in the 2 months and it was during a holiday when buses are crowded.   We were standing close the the bus door and the crowd was squeezing in.  A young woman was squeezing against my wife in a weird way.  I told my wife to move away and the woman kept following her.  Managed to pull my wife closer and place myself in between.  When we got off at Presidential Plaza we noticed my wife's purse had slash marks.  Nothing had been taken.    Avoid the squeeze zone at the doors of the bus.  Pick pockets stay there as they want a quick get away.  Also can just take a taxi during crowded times.  Women travelers need to be aware of other women pressing up against you.  We never had another incident on the Trolle Bus as we never stood in the squeeze zone and never had an external purse (wear a purse inside a zipped up jacket or overcoat.)  Loved Quito and will definitely return as pluses outweigh the minuses.

crsR66 wrote:

Avoid the squeeze zone at the doors of the bus.  Pick pockets stay there as they want a quick get away.  Also can just take a taxi during crowded times.

Excellent post, Sixty-Six.  Bus "squeeze zones" are the only places in Quito where I've had a problem in years -- lost a cheap cell phone and a pair of sunglasses to pickpockets in those "zones" last December and January, respectively.

These few words "just take a taxi during crowded times" are an excellent suggestion.

Simply by using Easy Taxi where available .. and checking that a taxi has proper markings -- meaning numbering and plates -- you can reduce the possibility of taxi problems.

Taxi fares are just a couple of bucks within Mariscal during the daytime .. and reasonable at all hours, although the taxistas have generally gone back to turning off their meters after 8 or 9 at night, so a little negotiation may be necessary then.

Bring plenty of small change when possible as about 20 percent of the drivers claim not to have change and you may end up overpaying if you don't have small bills or monedas to cover the fare precisely.

cccmedia in Quito