Thai wife in Saudi

Hi all. I am hoping to move to Saudi for a few years to teach (save money), and was originally going to come on my own.However, circumstances have changed due to my wife losing her indefinite right to reside in the Uk (we stayed in Thailand for 5 years oblivious to the fact "indefinite" did not have the connotations I believed). As a last resort, I am thinking about bringing my wife and 2 kids to Saudi with me, but I am concerned as she is not only a woman, she is a Thai woman. Does anybody have any experience as a Thai woman in Saudi, or have any thoughts on the matter?

My wife has child care qualifications from the UK, and also 4 years experience of caring for the elderly and infirm (plus all the certs she has for that work), and is thinking that she could also work in Saudi. She has read that the Saudi people and authorities do not like Thais because of some diamond being stolen somewhere, and I am worried she will become even more of a target than western women are.

Any advise or experience would be appreciated

Cheers

I just wouldn't advertise she is Thai. I have a Thai neighbor and where we are no one has made a big deal, but she doesn't go around telling everyone she is Thai. Many around us think she is another Asian nationality as we have many Koreans & Japanese living near us as well.

Be sure for the job you are waiting on that it does include a family visa and that they will not bring you over on a single. There are many professions in Saudi that do not allow families to come over.

Cheers. I will be coming over to teach, and many of the advertisements I see state that family can come over (schooling for kids included), and that they will pay for airfares and give family accommodation. I assume that they will organise visas too.

I have read that Thais are no longer issued work visas, which could be a problem as she wants to work, but I was told that if she comes over with me as a family that she would be able to get a visa. Does anybody know if that is true?

Once she is here she can apply and look for a job then they will just transfer her sponsorship under her new company. Simple

Yes. If you as her husband are her sponsor than there should be no issues with getting visa minus the amount of time it takes.

Remember you can't get her or your kids visas till after you have your iqama. Meaning they will follow you to Ksa around 3 months later.

Does anybody know if there is much work for somebody qualified in child care or years of eperience in th ecare of the elderly (all qualifications and experience from the UK).?

There are always people looking for quality child care. If on a compound many have their own nurseries/preschools that look to qualified residents to staff. As well as just running a homebased child care for neighbors. Just don't let her take a job as a nanny unless you are positive on the family. Many nannies are more of a maid for the family vs a true nanny or governess who cares for and educates the child.

As for the elderly unsure, maybe a hospital?

I agree with most of the advise above. I just wanted to add two important points:

1) Your wife is Thai and she should never be given an impression that this is any thing to hide. She should be proud of who she is and I assure you that she will be respected and taken care of like all other expat ladies in Saudi.

2) You must not really count on the idea of your wife getting a full time job very easily, the hard fact remains that prospective employers prefer women you come on there own work visa rather than as a dependent on their husband except the case where her qualification is highly in demand for example a doctor/ dentist etc. :)

riazcdki wrote:

I agree with most of the advise above. I just wanted to add two important points:

1) Your wife is Thai and she should never be given an impression that this is any thing to hide. She should be proud of who she is and I assure you that she will be respected and taken care of like all other expat ladies in Saudi.

Excellent point...younger generation of Saudis don't care of the blue diamond affair and they want things to get normal between the two countries.

There are many Thai's living here in the kingdom and nothing to fear about. There is member on the forum who has Thai wife as well.

The other day I saw a man repping flag of Thailand on his car, so nothing to be worried about IMO

riazcdki wrote:

Well said  :top:

Hi Nelly,

Saudi not issuing visa for Thai nationals, my wife also a Thai I have tried last year, they said Saudi ambassador is not in Thailand and not issuing any visas excluding for perform Haj.

Now I have moved out from KSA to UAE because this reason. Here everyone can post many words, but I am the lived with the actual situation, my company is one of the largest in KSA and my PRO done his best to resolve this but he failed.

My best advise one time in approach Saudi embassy in KSA and ask them. When I asked they said if your application approved by MOI in KSA we will process but for me failed.
Better luck try one time.

Thank you for this reply. I am sad for you and your wife, and hope you will find things easier in UAE. I was thinking about changing my destination to a more Thai friendly Arab country, but it looks like we may go back to square one and my wife will stay in Thailand while I am away. To be honest, I am used to these whims of administration after being in Thailand for 5 years, but I would like to have kept the family together if possible. I will still look into countries like qatar and UAE, but as I have no teacher's license or QTS job opportunities will be less.

As I said, thanks, and good luck to you and your wife

Don't believe the hype
80% of the Saudis don't know the Blue diamond affair
No 1 cares

Saudis are friendly if you approach
As she is with you and has a visa she can work

Really don't worry people are great a

Great comments..  :)

Lubnak wrote:

Don't believe the hype
80% of the Saudis don't know the Blue diamond affair
No 1 cares

Saudis are friendly if you approach
As she is with you and has a visa she can work

Really don't worry people are great a

'Saudis are friendly'    !!!!!!!

You for real ??

They are

Must be you - if this is your attitude, my guess u won't have many friends

Would u go to a neighbour u didn't like?

So

Why r u living in a country you dislike the ppl

Actually I have lived in Saudi for 3 years and I would say that I have many Saudi friends who are most pleasant and friendly. Unfortunately these people are in a minority - seems to me that every single government employee or anyone whose job is to provide a 'public service' (including bank tellers) is rude and extremely unfriendly !! This is not just my opinion, as I know it is shared by many expatriates who have the misfortune to have to deal with official bureaucracy.

If she has a Thai passport they won't give her visa or iqama, she won't be able to come to Saudi at all.

I tend to disagree

They are no different than most I have lived 15 years

Maybe it's a language barrier? I am never surprised by expats

We always complain wether in Spain or Hong Kong the holier than thou attitude prevails

Try getting a visa for someone to go to the USA or UK who is not WASPish looking !!!!!!

Human nature I guess

Saudis like most people are humans, maybe less efficient than most people. And it's the same treatment  to all Saudi or non you must wait - but they are learning

And  hey try the arrogant  French 🤑 Or get your wallet stolen in London on a weekend or the A/E!!!!!

Or simply Try going to uk amd speaking only Arabic?  No one is going to bend backwards

But I have to admit Irish are different 😜